The Goalkeeper Beta Demo

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Jack Norton, Sep 15, 2004.

1. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

The new version with the hand speed implemented works quite well.

It's a little too difficult now though, maybe have the shots prefer to be down the center of the goal. It felt like every other shot was tucked away in the corner and I had no chance with it. Normally you'd have quite a lot of shots pretty much straight at the keeper. Or you could vary how fast the shots fades on (like it's the shot speed so it gives you more chance to save).

In a normal game the majority of saves for a keeper are rather straightforward.

Another nice touch would be to not always get the blame. Say you lose 4-1 but managed to save 5 or 6 shots, then the reporter could put the blame on the defence for not protecting the keeper.

When I've got more time I'll play it some more, I'd be interested to see how much training it takes to see improvement. Ideally you should see large improvements quite quickly then it kind of curve off so when your skills are quite high you only get small improvements. This way new players can see progress and not feel like the game is too hard or that they have no control.

keep up the good work.

2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Hmm probably you met very powerful teams. There are those things you say: ball that goes slowly based on attacker shooting skill and easy shots, but they depend on the skills of the opponent strikers. Maybe I have to tune them a bit and reduce the overall difficulty.
    Also remember that at beginning you'll still be an inexperienced goalkeeper so later in the game you'll move your gloves more faster since you'll have better skills :)

There is also that. If rating is >5, the TV commentary will say "despite the goalkeeper playing really well, team XXX managed to lose/draw today match".

Haven't thought about that system, could be interesting.
    I have another italian tester who suggested me to allow more training points because when you get injured you'd lose them easily (he plays the fullversion).

3. AnotherDev

Original Member

I like the interface of your games. Well done, clear and attractive.

I encountered a small bug I think.
    Twice I didn't stop the ball but had the "good save' window. They really were goals since the opponents score increased :)

Like someone said it's too hard to get training points. I doubt a goalkepper wouldn't train between games.

It would be cool to have more things to do also. The user interaction and decisions are a bit too limited. Maybe I missed some things though.

Anyway It's well done and surely has potential.

4. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Hmm they were bug indeed. Damn :)

Well you get 1 Training Point normally after each match. Considering a full season (you get training point even if you don't play) you get about 34-38 training point, not much in effect.
    I'll be adding 5 Training P. for normal skill level, 3 for hard and 7 for easy.

Thanks for the other kind comment on interface :)

5. AnotherDev

Original Member

I probably misunderstood the training module.
    I used all the points I had before the first game :)
    Maybe you could put a maximum to use between games so it doesn't happen.

6. Jack Norton

Indie Author

No is ok! Surely you must use all skill points you can :)
    I've put 50 in the beginning to let user see how it works, then the increase should be constant but small, otherwise the GK would get too many training points to use and his skills would instantly go all to 99 :rolleyes:

7. Valkilos

Original Member

Finally got around to playing the new version!

I think the interface for making a save still needs tweaking. I mean, I like the fact that your goalkeeper's stats effect the speed of your hands - but with so many shots being towards the corners of the goal, it's very difficult to make saves now.

Also, I've noticed that the hands will continue trying to "catch up" to wherever the mouse cursor is, even after the mouse stops moving. Maybe it's just me, but that made me feel more... I don't know... out of control, I think. It seemed difficult to stop the hands when and where I wanted to, so I kept over-compensating. If the hands stopped when the mouse did, it might seem a bit more natural.

I like the fact that you get more training points, and they go a lot farther now (with a lot of training types costing 7 points instead of 10). That's a lot more satisfying for those of us who like building up stats :)

I like the new texts for the post-game news reports, too!

Anyhoo, just figured the more feedback you got, the better. Keep up the good work! :D

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Thanks for feedback. Even if I just released the game today, any feedback is good for future versions :)

If you get many hard shots, be sure that you're playing against a very good team, like in the italian league Juventus or Milan. Is easy to see goals impossible to save in such matches ;)

9. tolik

Original Member

For some reason the game does run like 2 fps on my computer (P4 2.4, 1gb RAM, GF5, Win2k). Can't comment...

10. Jack Norton

Indie Author