The FBI close down MegaUpload...

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by jcottier, Jan 20, 2012.

1. jcottier

jcottier New Member

At least someone is fithing back... that's good news, please do the same with rapidshare and co.

Only problem: the US are able to close down any website (worldwide) via DNS control, and that is bad (I bet this is going to change soon and the control will be spreaded worldwide).

JC

2. gamer247

gamer247 New Member

sweet!!! go to hell pirates! Arghhhh! :)

3. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

If they get rid of all the pirates, I won't get a google alert every day and will feel unloved...

4. princec

Indie Author

I thought the US can only intervene when the DNS servers are located in the US? Otherwise they're technically restricted to just meddling with domestic DNS server propagation.

Cas :)

5. jcottier

jcottier New Member

I don't know a lot about these kind of things :) but I know that MegaUpload is located in HongKong and it has been block worldwide.

JC

6. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/why-the-feds-smashed-megaupload.ars

Of course, to the idiots on the interwebs, these guys were heros, and we are scumbag 'big content'. I've seen this compared to book burning and genocide by immature little children of all ages.

7. Applewood

Talking of "burning" and "genocide", I would like to see all the pirates rounded up, put in a pit and set on fire. And I'm old enough to mean it.

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

ROFL haha
    I have no problem with 3 users sharing the cost of buying a copy of my games, but when other CRIMINAL CORPORATIONS use my IPs to resell services (so effectively robbing my IP to make money on their own) I can't stand it. So here's another vote for Applewood "burning pit" proposal! :D

9. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Another vote here for the fire pit

Slightly Offtopic, but why have we never added a "like" or reputation button for posts?
    Seems like there are often times when a post just needs a like but ends up with half a dozen "me too" posts

10. svero

I really could care less about this stuff. It's a mistake for developers to focus on piracy. We should focus on making good games and providing good customer service. Piracy will always be there and the govt won't, and shouldn't be responsible for saving us. So I won't cry a river for these guys, but I can't be terribly happy about it either. I'm indifferent.

11. Applewood

That's usually my speech and I definitely agree with it in principle. But there's a world of difference between obsessing about it and simply celebrating when some of these wankers get a reality check.

They spent some years sticking it to "the man". Soon "the man" will be sticking it in them, and that's a mind picture I can't and don't want to shake! :)

12. Desktop Gaming

I'm old enough to pay for the petrol.

13. Artinum

Original Member

This is a horrible, wasteful suggestion. You should be ashamed, Applewood, when they could so much more usefully be carved up for organs. I'll chip in for the chainsaws.

14. lennard

Y'all are a bit disturbing.

Folks who are making money off our traffic without giving any back should end in the can. I wonder, if in much the same way that some hackers get rehabilitated by working for security firms, if some of these folks will end up in marketing firms. They have a pretty good handle on how to drive traffic...

15. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Yeah, you steal someone else's cool stuff, stick it on a webpage and make sure everyone links to it. Not hard.

16. Applewood

lol. I agree that they could better be used for medical research but it's less likely to happen. Both eventualities are illegal, but at least mine could be gotten away with!

17. princec

Indie Author

Oh dear, Cyril has dropped the soap. Would you care to bend over and pick it up for him?

Cas :)

18. Applewood

I see those "anonymous" guys are busy bringing down various company's websites in "retaliation". I wonder how that's meant to help the online community? I'm really not sure how their "you can't censor the internet" bullshit marries up with the arrest of several criminals myself, but whatever.

When those guys are finally caught, and I'm sure the only people who think that won't happen is them, they are gonna get sent down forever. I hope they're enjoying it whilst they can.

19. Allen Varney

Original Member

Note that the FBI has successfully taken down a pirate site in New Zealand even in the absence of SOPA/PIPA. Maybe those acts weren't desperately needed after all.

20. Applewood

I think this is about bridging the gap from the recent piratebay farce. Those guys aren't doing anything wrong as there's no copyright infringement on their site. So to take it down involves a complex court case that eventually proved negligible benefit. Next up on the todo list is "just take the site down and walk away."