The Death of 3-in-a Row

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Bmc, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Bmc

Bmc New Member

2. Andy

Original Member

Pardon Bmc,

I had no time to read the links (Seriously!) but...

They (around) were stating the same by two years ago at least - that's exactly why I so hate any predictions and marketing idiots around - they just pose like they know the truth and later dissapear at all or change their opinions on opposite ones like that should be all the time.

Hate them, hate them! :D

3. otaku

Original Member

I have pictures and an audio recording. When I return from GDC I will post them on my site at http://www.otakunozoku.com/

I felt the panel was very publisher centric. i.e. "team up with us if you want to be rich" & "Team up with us because we all own the market" & "Team up with us and make the games that we want to have on our portal."

While the panel itself was interesting, I really felt that as an independent developer that it had little to offer to developers other than to make the audience believe that the only way to be "successful", i.e. make lots of money (for them, not you) was to "team up" with a large portal.

4. DavidRM

Indie Author

3-in-a-row will die the week after FPS's die, I figure.

-David

5. merovingian

Original Member

I hear it will be replaced by 3-in-a-line...

6. Ricardo C

Original Member

Ask Reflexive is match-3 games are dead. I'm sure they'll answer you if they can hear you, what with the being trapped under piles and piles of money... ;)

7. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Whoa, nice. It's none other than Mr. GBC crib sheets Otaku himself. And I thought it was just some ordinary Otaku. :D

8. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I believe there's probably fundamental psychological and neuroscientific underpinnings to why we think things are "fun". So unless we evolve or our brain chemistry changes radically in the next little while, I believe there's a large percentage of us that will still enjoy matching colors or shapes etc... And if its still "fun" then presumably it should still sell. So I figure 3-in-a-row is not going anywhere.

9. Jim Buck

Indie Author

I was at the session. Basically, they said that as much as they thought it was dead a year ago, some examples came out this past year that proved them wrong (Big Kahuna Reef, Jewel Quest, etc). I agree. As much as FPS games were "dead" in '00 (depending on who you talk to), we keep seeing new ones come out that are pretty good (Far Cry, HL2, etc). That will always be the case with any genre someone predicts is dead - someone will come out with a twist on the genre and show that it can never fully die.

10. Applewood

Things never die. (Well, with the possible exception of beat em ups which I'm seriously glad to see the back of).

I believe the point is, they're no longer worth the effort unless you can add something that's genuinely new and actually improves the gameplay instead of just being 'different'.

Lots of punters out there love match-3 and fps games, but the real question we should be asking ourselves is "How much can I make out of this when there's 96 others already for sale ?"

11. Jim Buck

Indie Author

What is a beat em up game?

12. Bmc

Bmc New Member

13. Matthew

Indie Author

I was at that session too; I'll post some thoughts after I get some sleep tonight. The title was a just a provocative lure. Everyone on the panel disagreed with the notion that 3-in-a-row games were dead, or will be dead (someone compared it to discussing whether sitcoms would ever die in the TV market).

14. Nexic

Indie Author

I'm planning to go the match-2 route, or maybe match-4

15. svero

Heathen.

16. Matthew

Indie Author

Clearly the route to riches is to innovate with a match-1 game. I was joking about this with James while we were waiting for the session to start. It would be interesting to pump production value into a non-game and see how well it would sell in the casual space (Shape Shifter, anyone?)

17. simonh

Indie Author

Isn't match-2 what the new Sony PSP game Lumines does? Supposedly quite fun.

Actually, I wonder how long it will be before we see an indie clone of Lumines.

18. tolik

Original Member

19. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

Wow! I was there and I didn’t hear that at all. I guess it all depends on your perspective. I am sure my perspective is very different given my successful relationships with portals. But I didn’t hear them saying anything about why you should team up with them. They were just all speculating about who their target market is and what games they want to play. They discussed issues like reaching a larger audience when/if it ever becomes socially acceptable to be a gamer in the US. They talked about revenue from ads rebounding after the dive they took in 2000. They speculated about avatar customizations that are popular in some countries but not the US. They explained that bad 3 in a row games don’t sell and good ones can.

They were talking about how their businesses work, who their customers are, and what games they buy. This may or may not be similar to your business. They never claimed to speak for indie developers, shareware authors, or anyone else but themselves. They described the trends in the business of big companies selling millions of downloadable games to the masses.

20. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

lol! :) We can hear you just fine. But it takes us a little while to response when we are busy organizing the money into neat stakes so that the piles don’t overwhelm us. ;-)

I like what they said about 3 in a row being just another genre or play mechanic. Quake is not the same game as Unreal just because they are both FPS games. The 3 in a row machine is familiar to many players. There are an endless number of games you could design which use this familiar play mechanic at their core. There will certainly be many more successful 3 in a row games but the market is also accepting of other styles of play. 3 in a row is not dead, but it is the end of the era where a game had to be a 3 in a row to be enormously successful on casual games sites. At least that is what I heard them saying.