The best part of indie life...

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Hamumu, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Hamumu

Indie Author

Is being the first person to post a new topic on a board!! DUDE IT ROXORZ!!!!!!!

I also enjoy the freedom to make the game I want as well.

2. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

The best part about being indie is laughing while watching your neighbors as they trundle off to work at 7am... Oh - wait... that doesn't happen because indies are still sleeping!

3. Siebharinn

Original Member

Hey Mike -

Not that this really has much to do with being an indie, but any thoughts when the next LD48 might happen?

4. papillon

Indie Author

... except for when you haven't quite made it to sleep yet. :)

(Okay, 7am is pretty unlikely... But I've seen 5, even 6 a few times... past a point it starts getting bright and the birds start getting noisy and it's hard to get to sleep!)

5. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

Heh - I see 4am - 5am quite regularly. Since my wife get's up at 6am - I better be in bed before then :)

6. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

I get up at 7:30 AM when my daughter does!

7. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

My son is nice to me - usually doesn't wake up until 9.

8. Lerc

Indie Author

Heh, yet another reason to love my daughter. 8:30 is about average for her.

She's been a lot easier to deal with than I expected.

She has just started crawling though, Dressing her is now
    • Put on an item of clothing
    • Pick up next item of clothing
    • collect baby
    • repeat.
    ..and she just loves power sockets and fan heaters.

9. Hamumu

Indie Author

No to the contest... that's more in the hands of LD, but if he tries to drag it out for a year again, I'm going to jump in and start one up!

10. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

Hey Mike, are up for one our Indie San Diego meetings? :)

As for the topic, I can't pick one thing but one great aspect about being an Indie is not having to deal with rush hour traffic! When I was working at Sony, I was literally spending roughly 2 hours in traffic everyday. Hour there, hour back.

Being able to control my schedule is one the great things I enjoy about being an Indie.

11. Jim Buck

Indie Author

Ouch, where did you live while at Sony that it took that long to get to/from work??

12. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I haven't seen a new game out of you in like 20 years. It's all dr. lunatic supreme this, and dr. lunatic version one that, and dr. lunatic with ducks, dr. lunatic spooky edition, dr. lunatic sheep edition...

13. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

I live in the Oceanside/Vista area. On a good morning I could get to work in 48 - 52 minutes. On a bad morning it was 60+ minutes. I took the 5. The traffic sludge between Carlsbad and Solana Beach is what took the most time.

As for the ride home, it was consistently 55+ minutes.

14. jaggu

Original Member

I have seen 4, 5, 6 am regularly over the last 2 weeks. For those want to sleep well thru the day use one of those eye-masks you get in travel shops. I have noticed that when the eyes are well shut from the light you dont notice the background noise (birds, traffic etc).

I love the eye-masks that Virgin Airlines supplies to their passengers. Whenever my wife travels to the states to meet her sister I make her go by Virgin. I have a well stocked supply of eye-masks :) Why dont I use the travel shop eye mask you ask? Unfortunately I find they are not well designed for comfortable sleep for long periods. The eye mask cloth is made of silky kinda material which sweats your forehead, eyes and wakes you up. Also the band that goes around the head to hold the mask in place maybe wide hitting the ear uncomfortably. The Virgin eye masks dont suffer from these two problems.

15. Hamumu

Indie Author

Ah, but the game I WANT to make is the one I can make by slacking off for years at a time.

I don't think I can do a San Diego meetup. Definitely not in these coming weeks, but in general, it's a solid hour drive for me to get there, if it's not rush hour, and I'm not a big fan of commuting, or driving in San Diego... that's why I work at home!

16. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Madness I say. And it comes with a side of ham... 'fnu.

Best part of being indie? It has to be the chicks!... Oh wait... hmmm....