The beers and ales thread

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by hippocoder, Jul 10, 2010.

1. hippocoder

Indie Author

Hiya, as part of indie life, the hard-working indie must find time to relax, hence post your current favorite beer or ale. Lagers are NOT accepted!

Currently seriously enjoying ice cold "Old Speckled Hen", crisp and deep with a nice strength to it. http://www.oldspeckledhen.co.uk

Wyre piddle in the hole is pretty good too (but totally obscure and hard to find) my old man introduced me to that.

2. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Not much of a beer drinker (to the consternation of the old timers hockey team I play on). Might start drinking more though based on the outcome of a recent beer making experiment. I belong to a local, sustainable foods group and recently one of the activities was beer making. $7 for a dozen brews plus an enjoyable afternoon of farting around on a friends deck followed two weeks later by an hour spent bottling.

I was very happy with the outcome - I like it a lot better than the Molsons, Moosehead, Budweiser and Corona that I normally drink when I do decide to have a beer, usually a hockey game that I score in or we get a big win.

I will sign up for a lot more beers this Fall when the next batch gets made.

3. andrew

andrew New Member

Oh, a topic near and dear to my heart. I prefer Belgians if given the change, but the US has a lot of great microbrews these days.

US/Canada: breweries I generally like would be Ommegang (NY), New Glarus (WI), Unibroue (Canada), Three Floyds (IN)

Belgian: Piraat, Leffe, Duchesse de Bourgogne, Saison Dupont

Germany/Eastern Europe: Franziskaner (mostly hefe, dunkel on occasion), Kostritzer, Schneider Weisse/Aventinus, Czechvar, Pilsner Urquell

UK - Guinness, Boddington's, Belhaven, Old Speckled Hen, Sam Smith's, Magner's (technically a cider)

- andrew

4. puggy

Original Member

Guinness for me.

Been thinking about brewing my own, i dug out my old kit i had when i was 15 (it may be illegal to sell alcohol to under 18's but it's perfectly legal to selling brewing kits which i made use of liberally when i was younger). Got stuff together for some home made wine but i may do some as well. Not sure if i should go for one of the kits or try to go the whole way from scratch.

I'm surprised though that there isn't more people in the UK brewing there own as when you work in out it's a hell of a lot cheaper (ie your not paying out huge amounts on tax).

5. Desktop Gaming

Newcastle Brown Ale

6. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Marston's Pedigree for me, although most of the Marston's range is excellent.
    (Doesn't travel well though so best to try it close to Burton as possible)

Other than that most real ales are great.

7. ggambett

Betty's ;)

Ironically, I don't like beer, and never had. I find it unbearably bitter.

8. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Gabriel, that just means that you haven't drunken enough of it ;)

One of my favorites is Otter Creek - Copper Ale. Very smooth, but full of flavor.

9. lennard

Gabriel that's typically my issue as well. The home brew was much nicer and not that much work if you have an experienced guide with all of the kit. Luckily the local brew dude is eager to put on shows (and actually hired me to do a bit of consulting to boot...).

10. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Dont you opress my choice of beverage!!!

I really enjoy hefeviesen when I'm over in the US. There's a really nice belgian strawberry beer too. Also a really weird tasting banana one I like.

I quite like beers with fruit themes I guess, corona with a lemon for instance. Another funky one is Sapporo with the weird can-turns-into-a-glass mechanism.

The weird thing is that I used to drink bitter and the like, but now I cant stand the taste of it all. I like stuff with a bit of bite, so mostly blonde lagers (none of that canned muck though).

There's a local festival of beer I usually go to, but man some of it rank, I had one called WOLF and it literally tasted of wolf. Mostly the scrotal area I think.

11. hippocoder

Indie Author

haha! wolf sounds like something to avoid indeed. "I'm trying out sierra nevada pale ale" (an american beer) and "rusty ferret" soon. The joy of ales and beers are - they invite you to try a new one each week!

Get experimenting...

12. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Root (I don't drink)

13. Qitsune

Qitsune New Member

There's loads of microbreweries here and I usually drink dark beers, preferably stuff like imperial stouts or chocolate stout...nom nom nom. Most of the time, I'll take hard cider from the tap if any is available, however. I also like it when my beer tastes something, I was in a microbrewery in New England last month and had terrible watery stout, and horrible watery bitter porter...:(

14. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Rootbeer here too ;-p I'd never tasted it before I moved to Canada.

15. princec

Indie Author

Aaargh! The Dog!

Cas :)

16. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

You never drank root beer before?? Wow! I've had A&W since I was old enough to hold a soda can!

There's a restaurant/microbrewery here in San Diego called BJ's, and in addition to their 8 different beers, they also make a great root beer. Yum!

17. DavidFairley

DavidFairley New Member

My own ales! Made to my own taste, using far more hops than any commercial brewery would use!

But if i had to pick a commercial ale, it'd either be Poacher's Choice by Badger, or "Discovery" by Fuller's.

18. DavidFairley

DavidFairley New Member

19. dewitters

Original Member

I'm a Belgian so I'm living right at the source ;). I also prefer Belgian beers of course! Leffe (Brown), Westmalle or De Koninck (also called "bolleke" in Antwerp). I'm not too fond of Duvel, but a lot of people are and it's also pretty famous here.

In my opinion we should export our beers more properly. If you look at Heineken for example (crappy beer from our neighbor country the Netherlands), you can buy that beer almost anywhere in the world. While our higher quality beers are not exported that much :(.

20. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Franziskaner and Paulaner here are my favourite :) I drink about 1 bottle of 33cl a day, during meals. Much healthier than drinking cola or other crap full of sugar and poison :D