The Angels Quest (browser based 3d/2d rpg)

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by undomi, Sep 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. undomi

undomi New Member

and the clickable item data
    Image58.jpg

2. undomi

undomi New Member

the character's database. self - explanatory Image60.jpg

3. undomi

undomi New Member

since i'm trying to keep the code from becoming too complex, i've opted to do the light changes on the character, directly to the character art, rather than using a set of scripted filters. the results are less than stellar but a really good character artist could do so (albeit, new character paintings for each lighting change is more graphically intensive, it does stand less of a chance of glitching later on. and there's really no need to change the light on the character more than once in each scene) . i'm aware that my art skills are lack luster but when i got the urge to be creative, this game creation process resulted.

i'm currently bottlenecked on combat code. the first set of combat skills requires use of a single combat talent related to the equipped default weapon and a heal spell, with only one heal type.. the attack damage does not vary and neither does the amount healed. the first "boss" has only 1 attack and does not heal itself, it just has more hp than the pc (player character). the damage the boss does is the same each time. it's an incredibly simple fight, other than the fact it has to update itself at the end of each round, since the pc can, at any time during the fight, heal itself. but i simply do not have the coding skills nor do i want to use php or ajax for the functions. the amount of coding that would result from doing each calculation manually, is astronomical. still searching for a javascript solution

#23 undomi, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  4. undomi

undomi New Member

navigating in venus space.
    Image67.jpg

5. undomi

undomi New Member

beginning of the fight sequence. as you'll notice, i'm attempting to make it look 3d. the boss is in the background, while the pc is in the foreground in third person perspective. most scripts that cover rpg combat sequences are for 2d tile-based rpgs with a great deal more abilities, bonuses,buffs and so forth. if you'll note the combat bar is along the bottom of the screen and only contains 3 buttons: the skilllbook, the bow attack and the heal spell. the bow attack does 1 pt of damage each time it's used, an animation plays as does a sound file. the heal spell, heals 2 hp each time it's used, and an animation plays (and a different sound file than the bow attack plays).

meanwhile, the boss does 1 pt of damage each time, an animation plays and a sound file of the attack also plays. neither of them do critical hits and the damage doesn't vary. when an attack happens a new page of the same scene is loaded in the browser with the amount of damage or healing represented by the hp bars of the two fighters, changing, including the deduction of "light" (mana) from its bar. in addition, the combat data is updated such as who's turn it is, any chat between the boss and the pc is rendered and the sound file for the attack type (bow vs. electrical charge) is changed, depending on who's turn it is. should be a simple script to do right? nope. it's that variable of whether the pc heals itself or not, that complicates the process and requires updates beyond a simple page change *otherwise, we're talking hundreds of pages for one simple fight. it's crazy.)

remember, i'm trying *perhaps unsuccessfully* to make the game function with as many standard website functions as possible, replacing large and complex scripts with simple and less glitchy old fashioned web standards.

Image2a.jpg

#25 undomi, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  6. undomi

undomi New Member

anyway, that's a few tidbits about the game i'm working on. here's the title page, for now. seems a bit dull so i may add more later.
    Image4a.jpg

7. undomi

undomi New Member

messy frame from pet animation. it's part of a gif, which i'm not happy with as it leaves ragged edges. i'm trying to learn sprite sheet animation but not sure it will work for my purposes. this actually ends up being quite small in game. i'd prefer staying with traditional gif animation if it wasn't so resistant to transparency. anyway once you claim her as a pet you can click on her and she pulls up a map of your current location. her name is windrose. her wings flap and she has rocket boosters in her feet (cause she's a teeny tiny robot). :D

Image1b.png

#27 undomi, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  8. undomi

undomi New Member

trying to learn material animation in as few frames as possible and in traditional gif, is just silly hard mercmaleidle3.gif . but here's mercurian male (white hair) with cape flapping. hair not moving though. stopped before i got that far cause wasn't happy with cape animation. why do gifs make such a mess of the edges in transparent backgrounds?

9. undomi

undomi New Member

gardens and cafe door. trying to meld 2d art with real plants and trees
    food1.jpg

10. undomi

undomi New Member

grumpy robot animation. blah blahblah blahblahblahblah,etc.
    femalerobot2.gif

11. undomi

undomi New Member

engineering access
    Images1j.png

12. undomi

undomi New Member

earth dome approach
    Image5ab.jpg

13. undomi

undomi New Member

neptunian female (plus example of mouseover back view of sapphire)
    Image7b.jpg

14. undomi

undomi New Member

back view, venus teal female
    Image6c.jpg

15. undomi

undomi New Member

back view, mercurian white female
    Image8d.jpg

16. undomi

undomi New Member

back view, earthian-african male
    Image10e.jpg

17. undomi

undomi New Member

back view, earthian-african female Image12b.jpg

18. undomi

undomi New Member

woops forgot a couple front views
    this is venusian male. jeweler. you can't see it very well but they wear a jeweler's eyepiece on their foreheads.
    Image14e.jpg

19. undomi

undomi New Member

jupiterian male
    Image16.jpg

20. undomi

undomi New Member

#40 undomi, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017