The Amazing Adventure - 2D platformer with RPG elements

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Switch, May 23, 2016.

1. Switch

Switch New Member

I'm working on a game with brother. The game is called The Amazing Adventure and is a 2D platform game with RPG elements. We are still very early in the process, but believe that openness will result in a much better game. You can now play a little pre-alpha of the game :-D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"In The Amazing Adventure you play the character of Life. A life force from somewhere beyond the stars. This gives you the unique ability to change into liquid form which opens op for an abundance of possibilities.

The Amazing Adventure is a collaboration between two brothers with a passion for programming intelligent and dynamic solutions. A strong love for art and music also drives this game."

The demo (that can be played in your browser) is right here: http://theamazingadventure.net/web-player.html. Do notice that you need FireFox, IE eller Opera for this online test-version. Ctrl = attack, Space = jump. You can can get up into the trees.

What do you think of the graphics, animations og controls so far?

Update 28/2 | New engine, the old engine above will no longer be used. Try the new game engine here: http://www.theamazingadventure.net/TheAmazingAdventure.zip

Thank you so much for taking a look at The Amazing Adventure :)

#1 Switch, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  2. buto

Original Member

Hi Switch,

I really liked the look and idea (as posted on your homepage) of your game and tried your demo.

For me the game instantly created a relaxing and somewhat mysterious mood. However, there were some issues which I will try to detail below. As you said this is a very early version. I think it could be a good idea to polish the controls, animations and transitions until they really feel smooth and natural already in this early stages. Especially if you want to show early versions to others.

Please note that all my comments are intended as supportive ideas. I don't know exactly what you're trying to achieve with your game, but I think that smooth controls are really important. If you're shooting for a 'Another World' or 'Flashback' kind of feeling, the transition between movements is also really important. In those games animation cycles are often completed before the next animation starts (as far as I remember - maybe I got something wrong...).

As I realized now, my comment is a little detailed. Please take away what you want and ignore the rest!

Animation:
    - Many of the character movements already look really nice.

- Walking feels good already, apart from a short stutter when you stop pressing a button. It could be a good idea to complete the animation cycle while the character stops. (I'm not an animation expert!)

- Jumping upwards while standing also has animation stutters shortly after the start of the jump. Landing is really smooth here.

- Jumping while running looks cool but landing isn't really smooth. There seem to be some unnecessary movements which break the smoothness of the transition from jumping to running.

- The attack animation is really subtile. It is also hard to judge where the hit-area is. Since your character is rather wide it can be a bit frustrating when spiders walk below you and you can't really hit them. Also attacking while running is a little strange, since the character stops abruptly to perform the attack and continues running right afterwards. The inertia of the character should somehow be considered (I'm sure this is work in progress).

Movement:
    - Hanging on a ridge and moving up looks really cool and smooth!

- After walking out of the level on the left or on the right I couldn't return and had to restart the game. This made jumping on the fallen tree on the right a little frustrating.

- You may want to consider that some collision edges should only be active for one direction. E.g. I think it doesn't feel right that you can't jump on the fallen tree while standing in front of it on the lower right side of the level. I'm mostly jumping against a ceiling. I think it would be better if this collision-edge would be only active when the character moves downwards.

- There seems to be an issue with jumping after turning around. I.e. trying to jump directly after (while) changing the direction does not seem to work. I think it would feel good if the turn-animation would be completed in this case and a jump would be triggered directly afterwards.

- Same issue as above with attacking. Attacks aren't triggered if executed while turning around.

- It feels a little strange that you're constantly sliding while standing on slopes.

- Response to attacks doesn't feel very natural. It works better when attacked from behind (the character jumps away in that case). If attacked from ahead, the character just stutters and the enemy walks below it. No attack is possible from that point. It may be good to try to prevent the enemy from walking under the character by pushing the character back and by interrupting enemy movement.
    This may also be a problem with the size-difference between the character and the spiders. Probably it would be easier to create believable interaction if the enemies were nearly of the same size as the character.

Graphics:
    - The main character looks really nice

- Other graphics look good, too!

- I think you have to watch out that players can spot exactly how far they can walk until they fall off a ridge. E.g. the fallen tree on the lower right side doesn't feature a clear indicator on how far you can walk on it to the left (at least not until you carfully examined it by walking on it and falling off).

- Parallax scrolling would surely look great in a level like this...

Ok... quite a lot of stuff there... hope some may be useful. I'm looking forward for the next versions! Cool game you're working on!

Kind regards,
    Sebastian

3. Switch

Switch New Member

Hi Sebastian
    Thank you so much for your very detailed response. I have looked over it quite a few times and they are all valid points. :)

I totally agree with you that having good controls is a must in a game like this. If you fail a level it has to be because of your lack of skill, not bad controls. We are working on improving the controls and making the main character as fluently as possible.

The attack animation - I might have to take look at how do squash and stretch i Blender, but that might just require a new rig. Another user sugested some 'speed lines" to show the attack range, that might be the best option. This also correspond my vision of making the characters realistic yet have their own style.

I'm very happy that you like the look of the game so far. I spend quite a lot of time getting to the style and it's therefore great to hear that it's not only myself who likes it.

..and I'm sorry for the very late reply. Day to day life has come in the way. - the result is a lack of time at the moment. The project is however still going just in a much slower pace than we would like.

Again thank you for your comments.

Best Regards
    Anders Christensen
    The Amazing Adventure

4. DanielNL

DanielNL New Member

Nice! Is it a known issue that when leaving the screen to the right side the character can't go back to the left?

5. Switch

Switch New Member

Unfortunately my brother don't have the time to work on The Amazing Adventure anymore, so very little has happened the last couple of months. But I have decided to program the game myself. I will be creating the game in Fusion 2.5 as I know my way around the user interface.

I have to scale the game down a bit as doing the graphics, programming and everything else is a lot of work.

After working on it for a few days I now have an engine with basic controls up and running. The controls should be pretty decent, but there are still a few bugs. I'm currently working on fixing these bugs and doing the wall climb animation.

Afterwards I will be creating a spider A.I. and figuring out how the player fighting system is going to work :-D

If anyone should be interested in giving the new engine a try it's right here: http://www.theamazingadventure.net/TheAmazingAdventure.zip

Shift = jump (the longer you hold the higher you jump)
    If you fall out at the sides or bottom, Space will restart.

Best Regards
    Anders Christensen
    The Amazing Adventure

#5 Switch, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  6. BabyAadhyaGames

BabyAadhyaGames New Member

Hello Friend,

I really love your game. Your concept & graphics are superb. Thanks for sharing.

7. Switch

Switch New Member

Thanks, I'm delighted that you like it!

In one month i will have much more time to work on The Amazing Adventure. I will be quitting my full time job and the project will therefore move forward at a much faster pace.

I'm really looking forward to working on the game and bring you all some game-play challenges and enemies to fight. :)

8. Simon Hanna Music

Simon Hanna Music New Member

Oooh! Gorgeous art direction. Best of luck!

9. Aayam

Aayam New Member

Your game concept & graphics design are superb and awesome. Great work. Best wishes.