The Adventures of Rick Rocket released!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by GolfHacker, Jan 30, 2009.

1. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

For immediate release

January 30, 2009

Company: My Game Company
    Title: President
    E-mail: info@mygamecompany.com

Defend the Earth from alien invaders in this action-packed, story-driven space shooter!

My Game Company is pleased to announce the release of The Adventures of Rick Rocket for Mac and Windows!

As mankind is beginning to venture out into the galaxy, a mysterious alien armada appears and attacks the Earth. Space Command calls on its best pilot, Rick Rocket, to take the controls of the X-01 experimental rocket ship and repel the invaders. Join Rick Rocket on an epic adventure across the Milky Way as he first defends the planet and then pursues the alien fleet. Help Rick discover who the aliens are and why they attacked the Earth!

Unlike most shooters, every mission in this game is different, with its own unique objectives and challenges. Various missions will have the player defending command ships or bases from waves of incoming attackers, destroying key ships or installations, rescuing friendly ships that are adrift, capturing disabled enemy ships, collecting satellites or other floating space objects, and more.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The full version of Rick Rocket features:

• Epic space battles between lots of smaller fighters and huge capital ships, set in a wide variety of visually stunning locations
    • A total of 48 unique missions, each with its own different goals and challenges
    • Over 30 unique spaceships that show damage as they are hit
    • 12 different power-ups that give you a variety of weapons and defenses
    • Medals to earn for each mission by maximizing bonus points
    • Ability to replay missions to try and get a better score
    • A majestic music soundtrack that perfectly fits the game
    • Play using keyboard, joystick, or game pad
    • Automatically saves your progress after every mission
    • Player profiles, so each family member can save their own game

“The Adventures of Rick Rocket combines the fun of a classic space shooter with solid story-telling and dynamic mission-oriented gameplay,“ said Troy Hepfner, President of My Game Company. “Unlike most shooters, which feature level after level of the same tedious gameplay, Rick Rocket provides a unique mission for every level. This gives the player a variety of things to do that keeps the game fresh and interesting. The missions are tied together with an intriguing story that gives meaning to everything you do and keeps you guessing what will happen next. With colorful cartoon graphics, a superb music soundtrack, and epic space battles like those found in popular science fiction television shows and blockbuster movies, Rick Rocket offers you and your children a fun and entertaining experience!”

The trial version of Rick Rocket for Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP can be downloaded online at:
    http://mygamecompany.swmirror.com/rickrockettrialsetup_windows.exe

The trial version of Rick Rocket for Mac OS X can be downloaded online at:
    http://www.mygamecompany.com/downloads/RickRocketTrial.dmg

The full version of Rick Rocket costs $19.99 (USD). A Linux version of the game will also be available shortly.

About My Game Company

Founded in 2003, My Game Company is a family-owned and operated computer game development studio dedicated to providing quality entertainment for children of all ages. Our goal is to produce clean, wholesome games that are original and fun. Our first game, Fashion Cents, was a finalist in the Open Category of the 2004 Independent Games Festival.

###

For more information about The Adventures of Rick Rocket, contact My Game Company at:

E-mail: info@mygamecompany.com
    Company site: http://www.mygamecompany.com
    Game site: http://www.mygamecompany.com/Products/RickRocket/main.htm

2. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

I'd like to take a brief moment to thank everyone here who has provided feedback to me over the past few months. I am very pleased with how this game has turned out, and I know it would not have been possible without the help of this community. You guys are great!

I would especially like to acknowledge the contributions of a few particular individuals:
    * Ryan Sumo, who did all of the artwork for the spaceships, asteroids, and main menu, and also helped me improve my cartoon drawing of Rick Rocket
    * Jesse Hopkins, who produced an amazing soundtrack for this game
    * Ilya Olevsky (Valen) and Chris Pelling (ChrisP), who provided extensive feedback throughout the game's development

Thanks everyone!

3. ryansumo

ryansumo New Member

Sweet! Rick Rocket and My Game Company just got a free plug on my blog!

4. ChrisP

Indie Author

You're welcome. :) Sorry I didn't provide any feedback on later betas, I was meaning to try them out.

Looks good, hope it does well for you! It was fun even when I played it, so it deserves to.

How long did it take you from start to finish, just out of curiosity? And was that on a full-time basis?

#4 ChrisP, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  5. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

It's hard to say how much time it took. I spent a year developing the core engine before I shelved the game and started working on Fashion Cents. That was 6 years ago. During that year, I learned OpenGL and Linux for the first time, so some of that year was not spent working on the engine directly. Later, when I started working on Dirk Dashing, I resurrected the core engine and made a lot of improvements and changes. So the engine was already in place and well tested when I resumed work on the game 5 months ago. Assuming that as a starting point, it took me 5 months working part time (maybe 10-20 hours a week) to scale the original design back and implement the new game.

Thanks for the testing you did do, though. That reminds me, I owe you and Ryan a copy of the full version!

6. ChrisP

Indie Author

OK, so actually a fair amount of time if you count engine development. :)

I'd love one. :D Don't feel obligated though.

7. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

I'm trying something new: I submitted my game release news on digg.com. Please digg it for me! Thanks!

8. ChrisP

Indie Author

Dugg and shouted to everyone on my list. :)

9. ryansumo

ryansumo New Member

Dugg, twittered, and posted on our local IGDA forum. DO you have a twitter account? A twitter shoutout can go a long way sometimes, especially if you have a good network. :)

10. 320x240

320x240 New Member

Congratulations on finishing your game.

11. Pyabo

Original Member

Not to be confused with... Rick Rocketson? Unfortunate coincidence.

12. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Ah. I just googled that and now I see what you mean. Yeah. When I first came up with the name for this game 7 years ago, I had checked and there was no such conflict. I didn't think to recheck it. Bummer. :( Well, it's too late to change it now. Hopefully it will work out.

13. realtime44

realtime44 New Member

Congratulations!

I really like the art style, all you? In house artist?

NVM... must have missed the follow up post
    :D

14. mpdeveloper_A

mpdeveloper_A New Member

Yeah this is a game fun and it looks nice and polished. Good job man, I also posted about it in my blog.

15. ryansumo

ryansumo New Member

Thanks! I'll take that as a compliment and a cue to plug my services to people interested in making quality games like Rick Rocket. ;)

16. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

I'll just add my own recommendation. It was a pleasure working with Ryan. He operates in a very timely manner (I received almost daily deliveries of game art), and was very responsive to changes that I requested or additional art that I asked for. He also adapted his art style to match my own cartoon style - when you look at the game, everything blends together nicely. You can't really tell which pieces I did and which ones he did (though to be honest, he did clean up my Rick Rocket cartoon drawing by adding some much-needed shading). Additionally, he made a number of art-related suggestions for improving the game, which contributed to its success (like showing damage on the ships as they are hit). I will definitely be using Ryan again on future projects, and I highly recommend him.

17. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Thanks for the plug! Much appreciated!

18. smartgame

smartgame New Member

also have to say that the art style is really nice. looks like you spent lots of hours on it. which software did you use for?

19. ryansumo

ryansumo New Member

Thanks! Just photoshop really.

20. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Looking good! :)