The 2D Shooter Game Creator

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by red spark studios, Apr 27, 2005.

1. red spark studios

Original Member

Well, actually at the moment is limited to mouse only (and one mouse at that). We may devise a patch later (as it has its own installation package system) for either of these, but it is too late in development for anything right now. Unfortunately, guns need drivers, and with so many LCD displays we only really wanted the e-real games one to be supported, because of its complete screen compatibility.

They dont want to make PC drivers, it would appear, because of this 'chicken and the egg' problem. If this sells a lot they may be persuaded...

Mouse party support: No, this would mean rewriting the level file format for multiple people to have different targets, and rewriting the game client software. Sorry, not this version.

2. red spark studios

Original Member

got some screenshots

We got some screenshots for you now (sorry we have no put the website up quite yet, but don't worry it soon will be done).
    level editor
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/redsparkstudios/2dsgc_lvledit1.jpg
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/redsparkstudios/2dsgc_lvledit2.jpg
    running a game
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/redsparkstudios/2dsgc_game1.jpg
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/redsparkstudios/2dsgc_game2.jpg
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/redsparkstudios/2dsgc_game3.jpg
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/redsparkstudios/2dsgc_game4.jpg
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/redsparkstudios/2dsgc_game5.jpg

And the current CD cover:
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/redsparkstudios/CDcover_web.jpg
    and yes we know about the problem with the CD logo copyright...

*and no more about mouse party - we would need windows XP for this, and seeming as we have no access to XP, its rather problematic for us.

3. Darky

Original Member

Looks pretty awesome, can't wait till it comes out. The only thing that bothers me is it's limits... maybe you should set them higer. 10 enemies? I've seen quite a few games with 20 enemies raging simultaneously. Try setting the limits a bit higher

#23 Darky, May 16, 2005
    Last edited: May 16, 2005
  4. illume

Original Member

Hey,

I reckon you should make a full game with nicer art than the screen shots.
    So people can see what a full game made with it will play, and look like.

As a bonus, you might even be able to sell this demo game, or give it away for free to attract lots of visitors.

Good luck!

5. red spark studios

Original Member

10 enemies seemed to be a sensible limit - for the first thing any more on one screen would cramp it, and secondly we are aiming to make games compatible for the majority of lower spec PCs so whilst someone with a high spec PC may be able to handle 50 enemies cramped into one area, if they pass that game onto their friend with a lower spec computer it won't run very well.

We are making a number of demo games to put onto our showcase on the website, including one with a multi-headed hydra enemy, and a transformers fan game. Once released, we hope people will take up the offer of compiling games to exe, and will place their own on the website too.

6. Darky

Original Member

I'm ready to buy it, i'm just waiting until it comes out. I'll make games like crazy. :D

7. robleong

Indie Author

Sorry, those UFOs look like they have genitals...

8. Darky

Original Member

Indeed... what are they supposed to be, anyways?

9. red spark studios

Original Member

They're machine guns - you won't believe they are genitals when you see them firing bullets.

Website will soon be up - URL currently links to photobucket account. http://www.redsparkstudios.co.uk

10. Nexic

Indie Author

I notice from the box shot that your system requirements are rather high. Surely for something like this you wouldn't need such a powerful system? Especially as the games in the screen shots look very simple (not many particle effects etc).

11. soniCron

Indie Author

Well, if you look at the top left corner of each of the shots, you can see the FPS display.

This scene, for example, is running at 9FPS, and there's only 10 enemies. My guess (looking at the screenshots, reading the posts, and thinking about the name) is this isn't a very highly optimized game engine, and probably won't be useful for any production quality game development. It'll be great, however, for the hobbyists out there!

12. tentons

Indie Author

You probably really should change that art. ;) "Machine guns firing bullets" still doesn't convince me that it's not innuendo (unintentional, perhaps).

13. Darky

Original Member

I can change it for ya, eheh.

14. red spark studios

Original Member

On the slowness issue: We are reoptimising the level editor at the moment - don't worry it will be faster in the end. Plus, our development system is a fair bit below the requirements we've set, which are in turn too high at the moment. It's just a matter of testing.

On the UFO issue: If it's really a problem we'll change it somehow. Don't worry.

#34 red spark studios, May 20, 2005
    Last edited: May 20, 2005
  15. red spark studios

Original Member

site

Now, redsparkstudios.co.uk has the basic website running. Has some problems in IE with the bottom of the page sometimes appearing white, and is lacking the login sytem. And many pages about the 2D Shooter Game Creator. But the rest is fine.

Go now, and download some great wallpapers for yourselves!

16. robleong

Indie Author

I hope you take this as constructive advice - I think you really need a better artist for your games. The current artwork is too childish and it will make the programs appear unprofessional even if they aren't. Good luck.

17. red spark studios

Original Member

Well, that was the sort of style we were aiming for (the artist being a programmer too), but perhaps we will create the next set of enemies and backgrounds with a less 'childish' appearance as you say. Remember that it is mainly a game creator, and people will make their own games with it primarily.

18. red spark studios

Original Member

Gigantic speed improvement!!!

We can't believe how much faster changing the text function would make the program run! It was a last minute change, but having replaced an older DX text function with an updated DX9 function, it has rapidly increased the speed.

The same test PC runs the same scenes at 200% of the previous speed! Incredible! More information etc. on the website. Really soon before it goes on sale now too... Along with some other products and free games to entice players to the site!