The 2D Shooter Game Creator

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by red spark studios, Apr 27, 2005.

1. red spark studios

Original Member

We at red spark studios are nearing completion on our latest project - an 'Indie' games development environment. It allows you to create your own Shooter Games à la Time Crisis, House of the Dead etc. Development is flexible, and you can use the software in a variety of ways - either drag and drop simple creation, or complete customisation, including Weapon creation, Enemy creation, Importing of backgrounds, foregrounds, music etc.

We are just posting here to let you wonderful people know about it!
    (sorry about no weblink/images, as we haven't yet finalised our website)

2. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

this could be really cool...

3. sparkyboy

Original Member

hmmm very interesting indeed :) Any ideas of timescale guys!

4. dogbert

Indie Author

Your title says "2D Shooter Game Creator", which traditionally means 2D shooters like Gradius, R-Type etc, not first person light gun games ala Time Crisis & House of the Dead. Just curious type which you're actually supporting.

5. Robert Cummings

Original Member

Perhaps more like operation wolf.

6. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Thse types of games are typically called "Rail Shooters" in the industry because your viewpoint moves around on "rails" and you shoot things that appear.

7. TheBren

Original Member

I'm with dogbert -- you should definitely change the name. Just drop the 2D.

8. Chris Evans

I think rail shooters could do pretty well since you can make them totally mouse driven. I actually have a little prototype where you shoot with the left mouse button and duck with the right mouse button. I plan to make a full fledge game out of it one of these days...

Too bad there's isn't a PC lightgun anymore. There used to be a PC USB lightgun by Act Labs but it's been discontinued.

9. Chris Evans

10. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

No, well that's the thing, isn't it. This newfangled screen technology will kill the lightgun (on consoles too).

11. Robert Cummings

Original Member

They'll just have some kind of freaky eyetoy instead that doesn't work when the curtains are open.

12. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

It occurs to me that I'll have to keep some kind of CRT TV knocking about the place in the years to come if I want to play stuff like Virtua Cop on the Sega Saturn in future.

13. Jay_Kyburz

Original Member

ooh ooh.. make sure you include mouse party support!

14. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

But don't call it that 'cause it's trademarked!

15. red spark studios

Original Member

Firstly: We cannot change the name, its too late in development. Too much information has been distributed around the internet. WHich gives other people an idea of the timescale...

Secondly: Lightguns like those of www.erealgames.com will probably start being used ("some kind of freaky eyetoy thing" lol). We emailed these people about their lightgun, but they didn't want to do PC support yet, they dont think there's enough of a market (lets see about that ;) ).

Thirdly: What's Mouse party support? Some kind of swap the mouse game???? You can't do that with the way games are built. (But you could give everyone a go at your level one by one...

Now - add redsparkstudios@gmail.com to your MSN messenger!!!1

16. Jay_Kyburz

Original Member

17. TheBren

Original Member

18. filharvey

Original Member

Code

You can find some code for multiple mice control here:

Code

Phil

19. Greg Squire

Original Member

Boy I'm glad I got my Act-Labs lightguns when I did. :)

Also, for those interested, there is some current work going on that would allow you to use a PS2 lightgun (like the guncon2) on a PC. See the following threads in these other forums.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,35416.0.html
    http://forum.lik-sang.com/showthread.php?t=764

Obviously the market for PC lightgun games is practically non-existant, as there is a big lack of hardware. Sort of a chicken-and-egg problem here.

20. Greg Squire

Original Member

red spark studios,

I'm assuming the "2D Shooter Game Creator" will allow for mouse or lightgun input (if the lightgun emulates a mouse)? I imagine this would have to be, again because PC lightguns are hard to find (or are expensive), and limiting input to lightgun only would vastly decrease a games revenue potential. Is that right?