The 24 Hour Game Experiment

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by bantamcitygames, Oct 21, 2009.

1. andrew

andrew New Member

No, but it's pretty darn hard. You need a very fun concept up front, not muck with it too much, and spend the 24 hours implementing and polishing the idea *very* quickly...

- andrew

2. Scurvy Lobster

Scurvy Lobster New Member

I wish you good luck with the experiment. Hope you make a killer game! :)

3. Grey Alien

Indie Author

I recently was a judge at 48 hour design jam and clearly it is possible to make a playable game in that period but it will lack content and polish for sure. I think it sounds like a fun diversion for you but there's no way any big name casual port would accept such a game, they regularly turn away games that have taken months to create that still aren't good enough.

4. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Hi guys, thanks for the warm wishes! I'm getting myself mentally psyched up tonight (while I work on hanging some vertical blinds!)...

As a part-timer... time is my biggest enemy...

and I'm choosing to confront him head on tomorrow!

5. Pyabo

Original Member

Funny, that's what I always say too. :)

6. wazoo

Original Member

best of luck man!

I'll keep an eye on your blog to follow along!

7. defanual

Original Member

It should be noted that things like 'World of Goo' were born from quick / short development cycle prototyping, so it can lead to bigger things when done right :)

8. bantamcitygames

Thanks guys... first update posted.

9. bantamcitygames

I just posted the final update. For those that thought I couldn't do it... you were right ;) and for those that thought I had a chance in hell, I'm sorry to disappoint. Here is an excerpt from the post:

For the full postmortem, check out the blog.

10. TimS

Original Member

I lol'd a little inside at this one... really? Sellable in 72 more man-hours? I'd like to hear more about that.

You're making an MMO? What kind? In TGB? Madness!?

Also -- very good blog. I liked your TGB review and your updates are very thorough and detailed. Congrats on a successful (if not entirely successful) experiment. Lessons learned and all that.

-Tim

11. bantamcitygames

Yeah, I know it sounds like more hype from someone who already didn't deliver the goods, but all-in-all the game is in pretty good shape for only putting 24 hours into it. I'm not saying it would be the next Zuma... I'm just saying sell-able, but I guess we'll have to wait until next year to find out if I'm right :p

Yeah, it is a bit mad... but I really want to make one (mostly so I could play it because there's not an MMO that has exactly what I'm looking for genre/gameplay wise) and yes, so far its being made in TGB although I'm barely out of the design phase so... we'll see.

Thanks! :D

12. defanual

Original Member

Well, well done for trying, sharing and experiencing while letting us follow your progress :)

13. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Ok, I am talking about casual downloads games here...

Shame you didn't learn your lesson. Even if you do put 4 times the amount of hours already spent, your project won't be sellable and earn you 5k. You'll be lucky to sell a handfull of copies. Witch portals are you thinking about for distributing your title? None of the big portals will accept your project. Don't trust my words, just spend few minutes checking the competition and you'll see what I mean. In a short and a bit provocative words (sorry), you need a reality check.

JC

14. electronicStar

Original Member

Thanks for sharing the experiment, I hope it will teach you some useful lessons about prototyping or sthg.
    I can't imagine trying to release a commercial games with so few assets (graphics, music, sounds) that it would take less than a month to create.
    Maybe a crap flash game, but you shouldn't earn much of it.

#34 electronicStar, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  15. Jack Norton

Indie Author

What you said applies to niche games and I think to flash as well. If really was SO EASY to make a 5k game, everyone here would be rich :D

16. aiursrage2k

Original Member

I bet you could make a flash game in 24 hours. Something like giraffe attack got over 400k views/plays.

http://armorgames.com/play/4137/giraffe-attack

17. JGOware

Indie Author

Yah...but it didn't earn anything close to 5k either. ;)

18. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

I can guarantee that "dont shit your pants" that was entered into the IGF will get at least that many plays. Possibly many times more.

The flash marketplace isn't particularly sophisticated.

19. bantamcitygames

Thanks for all the replies! I honestly don't know if I could have finished the game in another 72 hours, but maybe that will be next year's experiment...

I'm glad it was at least mildly entertaining to watch though!

#39 bantamcitygames, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  20. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Cool experiment anyway. It's fun to see/do these. :)