Text adventure game [HELP]

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Sir8BitHero, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Sir8BitHero

Sir8BitHero New Member

All of this was made with eclipse.

So this is one of the first programs I've made, I have been using a guide but it was very vague and it ended before telling me how to create a second option.
    My problem is when the player answers the first question in the game the second question appears, but the player can't type anything into the console anymore.

My code:

please keep in mind I'm new to coding in general so if you could keep the answers as easy to understand as possible I'd appreciate it.

2. Shaz

Moderator Original Member

Where is the loop to tell it to get user input more than once?

3. nbkolchin

nbkolchin New Member

Offtopic: Why not use inform or TADS for text game development?

You probably miss 'a = s.nextInt()' before second switch statement.

4. shay.yizhak

shay.yizhak New Member

This is how the code should be:

import java.util.Scanner;

public class Kynarthain {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
    Scanner s = new Scanner(System.in);
    System.out.println("You awake in a burning forest and are presented with 3 items.");
    System.out.println("A Key, A Map and A Sword.");
    System.out.println("You only have time to choose which item, which item do you choose?\n\nOptions:\n1:The Key\n2:The Map\n3:The Sword");

int a = s.nextInt();

switch (a) {
    case 1:
    System.out.println("You grab the key and run as fast as you can away from the fire");
    System.out.println("Sadly their is a locked gate in your way but your key manages to unlock it");
    break;
    case 2:
    System.out.println("You grab the Map and run as fast as you can away from the fire");
    System.out.println("Using your map you notice there's a locked gate ahead, so you use the shortcut shown on your map");
    break;
    case 3:
    System.out.println("You grab the Sword and run as fast as you can away from the fire");
    System.out.println("Eventually you reach a locked gate, you make a desperate attempt to look for another way.");
    System.out.println("You find another gate but there's a demonic fiend guarding it.");
    System.out.println("You pull out your sword and with a swift blow it's gone.");
    System.out.println("You walk out of the burning forest unscathed.");
    break;
    }

System.out.println("Eventually you end up at a fork in the road");
    System.out.println("You can either choose the Path of Dismay, or the Road of Broken Dreams\nOptions\n1:path of Dismay\n2:Road of Broken Dreams");

int a = s.nextInt();

switch (a) {
    case 1:
    System.out.println("1");
    break;
    case 2:
    System.out.println("2");
    break;
    }
    }
    }

--However, this code hold many many bad coding practices. I would recommend reading a book about programming first.

5. Arkadesh

Original Member

If you're serious about writing a text adventure and not just treating it as a way to learn programming in general take a closer look at some specialized language like Inform. You'll avoid reinventing the wheel and focus on your game.