Tetris Cloners - Beware

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by dxgame, Jun 19, 2006.

1. dxgame

dxgame
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

I like many others have coded a Tetris like game and relased it, a long time ago. The lawyers finally caught up with me and demanded the game be taken off my site(s). My commerce people were notified, they emailed me telling me to take the software down, they were removing it, etc,etc,etc.

Just a heads up... ;)

2. lakibuk

lakibuk
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Oh no! Hasbro striking back again.

3. jpantuso

jpantuso
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

With the return of "pick up and play" style games Tetris suddenly has value again... I'm not sure if the original creator still has clear rights to it, so many licensees out there, but he's definitely recyling the ideas with games like Dwice.

4. Sillysoft

Sillysoft
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Was your game called "Tetris"? How similar to Tetris was it? Did it use the same music? What legal thing did they say you were breaking (copyright, trademark, patent)? It would be interesting to know.

5. dxgame

dxgame
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

I'd rather not mention the title in question, but it did have "trys" at the end of the name. Gameplay was spot on to the original. No identical graphics or music, but it had the same shapes, game play, etc. Regnow.com was the commerce provider. I'm surprised it took them this long to do anything. (Over 6 years.)

6. vjvj

vjvj
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

I also would like to know this.

Sorry to hear your game had to be taken down :(

7. Frozen In Ice

Frozen In Ice
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member Indie Author

Shared Hosting Dangers

Was supposed to be posted as a new topic.... darn old fingers

Anyway,as to this thread of Tetris clones... I have had one freely available from my site for years. Never had a problem, although it's freeware which maybe why I haven't been contacted.

8. jankoM

jankoM
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

dxgame: Uh, I am sorry to hear that. Although you don't seem to care that much .

I would also be very thankfull for more details of what exactly was the problem. I am just doing something for kids which will have the same mechanics - only the shapes are diferent and I can make a name totally unsimilar to tetris (althougth because someone said a while back that tetris people stoped their pursuit I meant to name it Kubi Mini Tetris :) ). But if the sole gameplay is the problem then it would be stupid of me to continue this right now.

9. dxgame

dxgame
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

"dxgame: Uh, I am sorry to hear that. Although you don't seem to care that much ."

I care because the threat of being sued, but otherwise the clone never made any money, Regnow can verify that if needed. :) I think I was targeted because I used the name "Tetris" in the program name. The legal action was "copyright infringement". The clone I did was very low profile, never marketed anywhere except for my website. I'm wondering if Digital River just sent me the notice to cover themselves, who knows. But as a software developer I shouldn't have cloned the game anyway. Or at the least not used the !@#$% name in the program! :eek:

10. svero

svero
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I think it was the name. But even if you cant copyright a game mechanic, that doesnt mean you can sue all kinds of people for using your mechanic and make them miserable and cause them all kinds of problems. Sometimes merely the threat of legal action is enough. Depends who's got bigger purse strings to pay off lawyers. Defending yourself is expensive whether or not you're guilty.

11. kay.altos

kay.altos
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

AFAIK Tetris name and gameplay principles are copyrighted. But you can allways over pass this limitations :). wisit absolutist.com they have game TetriBox - TetriStation.

12. JoKa

JoKa
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

As far as I know all Hasbro-attacks were related to the name, not to the gameplay itself. And I guess it's the same problem here. I understand they have to defend their brand names. I'm glad they gave you a chance to prevent being sued, or did I misunderstand this?

13. princec

princec
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

AIUI the game concepts aren't copyrighted but the name is protected by trademark laws.

Cas :)

14. Applewood

Applewood
    Expand Collapse

Seems to me they're being pretty aggressive about it, so do be careful.

They contacted me over a year ago about one of my pocket pc games which was in fact a clone of "columns" and nothing to do with Tetris. However, I'd used the word "tetris" in the search terms knowing that players of one would possibly like the other.

If they're gonna chase me down over something like that, I think it's pretty clear that they're leaving no stone unturned. Which I think is kinda sad - is there any money left in that brand anyway ?

15. luggage

luggage
    Expand Collapse

It's a bit odd. I was under the impression you can't copyright a gameplay mechanic. And if you used the name Tetris you're not breaking copyright law for sure - you'd be breaking trademark law. A different kettle of fish.

16. jankoM

jankoM
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

thanks for telling dxgame (well I probably wouldn't name it "Kubi Mini *Tetris*" anyway :) but it would sure get many more downloads if I would.)

17. ErikH2000

ErikH2000
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

It doesn't really matter if dxgame has a good case. If he doesn't have tens of thousands of dollars to spend in court to defend himself, then he should just turn the other cheek, bend over, comply, acquiesce... That's the sad reality. See the history of Webfoot and Hasbro's IP dispute for a very similar situation. Webfoot settled.

-Erik

18. electronicStar

electronicStar
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

I'm surprise they can sue you for that.
    What if someone mentions the word TETRIS in one of your forums?
    BTW they are probably going to read this thread now if they scan the internet for every time this term is written down...

19. KNau

KNau
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

They can't sue for search terms but there's nothing that stops them from issuing a "letter from a lawyer", which is more than enough for most webhosts and transaction providers to cower and wet themselves.

Having recently attented a seminar on trademarks and copyrights I can understand the aggression to protect the trademark (if you don't you can lose it) but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

20. dxgame

dxgame
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

"then he should just turn the other cheek, bend over, comply, acquiesce..."

Exactly, it was more or less a traffic getter than anything else. I took one look at the email, erased everything from my site that had anything to do with the word Tetris. :eek: If my entire financial income was dependent on a tetris variant then I might be more inclined to do something. Change the name, modify some of the media, perhaps fruits instead of squares, etc. But man, there seems to be alot of PC shareware Tetris clones out there, perhaps it's only a matter of time before they get a letter. ;)