test web game with adsense for games

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by arcadetown, Oct 24, 2008.

1. fog4711

Original Member

no ad seen

1: no
    2. nothing
    3. the game showed up immediately - no psa
    4: Europe
    5: The game showed up and ran. I was fired after the second round.:p

Windows XP+ firefox +no script +adblock plus

greetings from Europe:
    fog :)
    --------------------------------
    some of my stuff

2. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

not impressed with the popup ad.

3. JGOware

Indie Author

Popup ad blocked by IE7.

- Do you see an adsense for games advertisement before the game shows?
    Yup.
    - What type of ad do you see, a video preroll or a common adsense links advert?
    Video
    - Are you a US or non-US visitor?
    US
    - Does the game show up and work after the preroll?
    Yup.

4. oNyx

Original Member

Yes.

A simple video. Could have been some flash animation as well... hard to tell.

Non-US (Germany).

Yes.

So, everything worked fine. However, it was pretty much the worst pre-roll ad implementation I've ever seen. There was no indication whatsoever that it's a temporary thing which will go away at some point. (Usually there is some kind of progress bar.)

If I hadn't known that it's only a pre-roll ad (and I only knew that because I read this very thread) I would have left the page right away.

5. jankoM

Indie Author

=Yes
    =Adsense in my lang.
    - If there is nothing displayed, does the game simply show up immediately or do you get a PSA (public service announcement)?
    =What?
    =non-US
    =Yes

6. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

Good that game loads now. I'd rather have more happy users and more traffic than angry users. I'll have to check into Adblock plus.

@Jack: How did you figure out what urls to block? I loaded a standard Adblock filter which didn't include googlesyndication.

7. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Uhm that's a good question... honestly I don't remember doing it manually, I remember setting some list that automatically update the filters... a found the page:
    http://adblockplus.org/en/subscriptions
    I think I'm using easylist (I can't see in options which is the current list).

8. papillon

Indie Author

I don't rely on readymade filters, I don't want to accidentally filter too much and some ads aren't that bad, or are actually interesting. But if I find a site that has something on it that annoys me, ad or otherwise (sometimes it's added "features" that drive me insane... I actually upgraded to ABP solely to get rid of the SnapShot "preview" feature on blogs.) then I examine everything blockable on the page and disable liberally until the bad things go away. :)

9. DevTactics

DevTactics New Member

Yes
    Common adsense
    n/a
    Non-US (China)
    Yes

10. Spore Man

Indie Author

Video ad played (Canada).

Not in your control but:
    I really don't like this. It looked like a "video" movie... you know, like I had the wrong page. How many players will just back out of the page?

There are no sound controls (video ads should always play muted unless activated by the user).

11. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

- Yes
    - Progressive Insurance
    - N/A
    - US
    - Yes

On a side note, I had been looking forward to Adsense for Games since I first heard about it but I'm disappointed with its current implementation.

While the video pre-roll was loading, I just had a blank white screen for about 7-10 seconds. I almost left the page because I thought the game wasn't working. Then when the video played, it was unclear what was going on. Like the others said, if I hadn't read this thread I would have thought I accidentally stumbled upon a youtube video or something. There's no progress bar or advertisement "countdown" text indicating when the Ad ends and when the game begins or if it is a game at all.

The Mochiads in-game ad implementation is much smoother than this, which is surprising considering they're pint-sized company compared to Google. I hope Google improves this dramatically before they roll it out to more sites.