Test my Blitzmax 2D tile map engine please.

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by 2dnoob, Aug 3, 2007.

1. 2dnoob

Original Member

http://jgoware.com/mge/maptest4.zip (700k)

Windows, Open GL or DirectX 7, decent 3D card required.

Use the arrow keys to move around the map. Press the up arrow to jump.

The most valuable feedback at this point would be:
    A) Did it even run?
    B) If it did run, was the map movement smooth enough? (delta based)

Thanks!

#1 2dnoob, Aug 3, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  2. MrGoldfish

Original Member

Everything seemed fine on my computer. All test run at a steady 61 frames per second. Smooth like butter!

3. Sybixsus

Original Member

DX7 Fullscreen works fine. With VSync on it's pretty smooth, but not completely.
    OpenGL crashes in fullscreen. Just won't run.

In windowed, both OpenGL and DX7 work fine. With VSync on they are fairly smooth, but not quite as smooth as DX7 fullscreen. ( Which is as I would expect. )

In DX7 with VSync Disabled, I get good FPS ( around 500 ) but the scroll speed goes up and down, stops completely and generally is all wonky.

In Both DX7 and OpenGL, windowed, with VSync disabled, it's the same as DX7 fullscreen with VSync disabled. The speed goes up and down, stops completely. All sorts.

That's all on a GF8600GTS with latest drivers.

Hope it's some help.

4. 2dnoob

Original Member

Thanks MrGoldfish! ;)

@Sybixsus - Thanks for the data, very interesting! I'm not using any module tweaks, so it's surprising the Open GL in full screen didn't work. (800x600x32) Otherwise it sounds like vsync disabled timing (via my code) is getting very funkified on your box. You have one of those boxes I would love to play with for a weekend! ;) Weird though, because I'm at the mercy of the internal Blitzmax modules, I don't know where to begin to try to correct the timing issue? I guess it will pay to see if a trend develops, that should make it easier to spot something stable. ;)

5. 2dnoob

Original Member

Sybixsus, I wonder if your box is so fast the delta is coming back as 0??? I don't know much about GPU's, on a scale from 1-10 how powerful is your gpu?

6. Sybixsus

Original Member

On a scale of 1-10? Probably a 7. It's moderately fast, but not screaming. I would instinctively doubt the delta is coming out as zero, but I guess it's possible. If you want to send me a debug build or even if you want to send me some source code to play with ( I do own BlitzMax ) then I'd be happy to help.

Just send me a PM if you need any extra testing and I'll let you have my email address.

7. electronicStar

Original Member

It's running okay, that's a nice engine, but I found the scrollings and rotation were a bit choppy, it seems that you don't use subpixel accuracy. It would make it even better if you could implement that.
    And how do you run the OGL version? do you have to click 'cancel' in the first requester?
    I did but I didn't see a difference.

8. 2dnoob

Original Member

Thanks for the offer Sybixsus, I may have to take you up on that!

@electronicStar - It's using sub pixel accuracy for everything actually, surprising that it seems choppy. I don't check to see if the delta is too small, that could be a problem on some more powerful machines. If you cancel on the DirectX prompt, OpenGL will be used. Thanks for testing it.

I forgot to mention, you can force 20fps, 30fps, 60fps during the demo by pressing F1,F2,F3. I wonder if this stablizes things better for estar and sybix?

9. electronicStar

Original Member

Yeah you're right, it's because all the tiles were rotating at the same time so it was creating some ugly pattern effects.
    Now you have to do a nice looking game with it to make a better demonstration;)

10. Sybixsus

Original Member

Forcing 60FPS with F3 makes all non-VSync modes ( except OpenGL fullscreen, which still doesn't work ) run fairly smooth. As good as DX7 Fullscreen with VSync off was running before. It does seem to eliminate the slowing up and speeding down problems completely.

11. 2dnoob

Original Member

"Now you have to do a nice looking game with it to make a better demonstration.." I'm a ways off from that I'm afraid. lol...

@Sybixsus - ahh...getting interesting. Sounds like I have some potential delta woes when running on faster cou/gpus. I develop using an older intel integrated gpu. Finally, an excuse to buy a new computer, to see the effects of it running too fast! :) lol.. I've never seen my engine run faster than around 100fps for instance. ;)

I'm wondering if a game runs with vsync off I should cap the frame rate always at some fixed number like 60 or 120? If the end user runs a game with vsync off, they're going to experience some visual tearing anyway?

12. 2dnoob

Original Member

doh!! f1 = 20fps, f2=30fps, f3 no throttle. I should have put a 60fps throttle.

13. Sybixsus

Original Member

Since I spotted that you now said F3 was no throttle, I tried again and I'm not getting the speeding up and slowing down I was getting last night, whether I press F3 or not. So perhaps a background task was playing up last night, although I didn't spot anything at the time and I was testing my own game at that time. Still, it's not happening today.

I'm not sure what you mean by capping the framerate if VSync is off, because I don't know how your timing works exactly. You're correct that they will get tearing if you're unable to force VSync ( IE: if it's disabled in drivers ) though.

14. 2dnoob

Original Member

Hi Sybixsus - thanks again for checking things out. I have found out that I need to reboot occasionally after going in and out of Directx modes (when developing) quite often. For some reason the timing does get messed up, but a reboot solves the problem. Could be related to what you were experiencing?

"I'm not sure what you mean by capping the framerate if VSync is off.." I guess I'm thinking with vsync off, it is possible the delta could return 0 on a powerful pc, since the bmax timers are only millisecs, so capping it to some number under 1000fps would take care of that possibility from happening, however so slight. :) lol..

15. Sybixsus

Original Member

Oh, cap it so that delta time never reaches zero? Yes, that's probably a good idea.

16. 2dnoob

Original Member

Updated the demo link with a new demo.

http://jgoware.com/mge/maptest4.zip

Move around with left/right keys, jump with up arrow. Looking for feedback if it's smooth enough, etc. Thanks!

17. Bad Sector

Original Member

Runs very good. For some reason, the OpenGL-fullscreen mode was running almost twice as fast as the DirectX-fullscreen mode. Athlon64 3200+, Radeon X850 256MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM.

EDIT: Twice as fast in framerate, the movement speed was the same.

18. 2dnoob

Original Member

Thanks Bad Sector! ;) Yah, 2d OpenGL performance under BlitzMax has been documented to be pretty fast. Twice as fast is rare, but I do usually see a 20-30% speed increase when using OGL.

19. Mikademus

Mikademus New Member

Tested it and it ran smooth @ 101 frames. Always happy to see a fellow Wizball aficionado! :) Now, only add some proper fake-physics and sphere-against-box collision and your demo would be fun in itself!

20. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Runs fine on my laptop at 41FPS.

(my laptop is 6 years old with crap integrated graphics)