Terin's New PC! :D

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by terin, Sep 20, 2011.

1. terin

Original Member

Ok I just finished ordering all the parts to my new pet project for the weekend!... and I am excited ok :p So I will post here since nobody in REAL life gives a shit! I set the goal at $1,000 including a new monitor (I had this ancient 17" CRT that I kept saying i would replace as soon as it died... that was 10 years ago. Lets just say it won, that thing was unkillable.)

HannSpree 21" LCD Monitor
    I-5 2500k Processor
    8 Gigs (4x2) DD3 1600 Ram (Corsair Vengeance)
    Galaxy GTX 570
    MSI Z68 Motherboard
    Hitachi 1TB 7200 RPM Sata HDD
    120gb Agility 3 SSD
    Antec Earthwatts 650 PSU
    Sunbeam EVO Case

And re-using my DVD-R and spare case fan.
    Total Price After Rebates: 989.71

I still need to pick up a CPU Cooler probably and maybe one more case fan since I plan to OC it a bit... so I will eventually end up slightly over budget, but I had only planned on a 60 gb SSD and a 6950 fx card, so this should outperform my original goals by quite a bit!

My biggest concern is the case, which I picked up cheap and is a new product. On paper it looks great, so we'll see if it lives up to the task of keeping this monster cool.

For now, I am happy! Pictures with progress will be taken as I construct it.

-Joe
    PS: The GTX card arrived first today and it is MASSIVE. I'm not sure what law of physics is going to keep that thing from simply snapping the PCI slot under its own weight, lol.

2. Reives Freebird

Reives Freebird New Member

Seems like an awesome setup for the price. And I know what you mean by the graphic card; I've been using laptops for the past 7 years and recently just got my first desktop upgrade since, and the graphic card looked like a spaceship, hahah.

3. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Looks a good deal!

4. Jack Norton

Indie Author

All that setup just to play the low-resource indie games? ;) Hope you buy a few AAA to justify that big computer! :D

5. puggy

Original Member

Not bad, i'm assuming the ssd is the main hdd. Didn't look up the spec's but hopefully it's a sata3 (6gbps) to really take full advantage. The only thing i would say is that you should have gone for a bigger moniter. I went from 17 inch crt to 22 inch lcd over a year ago, At first it was ohh, wow this is much better, but once you start messing with screen res, you'll be back to the "i wish i had a bigger moniter". With the price's dropping as they are, 24 inch screen arn't that dear (and the few extra inch's do make a differrence). If you working in a home office, you could always get a nice 42 inch tv and hook the hdmi port so you can either watch tv while working, or switch the computer screen to the tv and have fun.

6. hippocoder

Indie Author

samsung 23 or 24 inch - amazing price, amazing performance.

7. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I agree, I have samsung 23" LED and it's the best monitor I've ever had :)

8. terin

Original Member

SSD will be Windows/office + high demand games. And yes, its a Sata3 drive. I heart technology.

HDD will be for everything else.

I picked up an extra case fan + CPU fan today for 36 bucks total, bringing me 25 dollars over budget. Someone better hire me to help pay for that :D

Monitor: We'll see! It was only $99 and so far it's taking some getting used to. Widescreen = confusing for a guy who's been using a 17 inch CRT for a decade!

I'm very excited to start taking pics of me putting it together... and I am certain mistakes will be made to make the whole thing fun to read :D Lets just hope it doesn't end with me holding a fire extinguisher.

-Joe
    PS: Jack, what are you talking about? I am only going to use this to play date sims and hidden object games. But I'll play them REALLY FAST... 400 games/minute!

9. puggy

Original Member

a yes, moving to widescreen is a bit wierd at the start. First you go yay, i can now use a sidebar and see it all the time, then there will be one or 2 programs that the extra is just needed. then another few programs, until finally you realise every program is full width and you can't see the sidebar unless you minimize everything.

10. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

And then you goto dual monitors and get annoyed when you find you could do with another... Haha, 2 is enough for me.

Code one screen and then testing/reference material on the other. Works perfect!

11. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

+1 for dual monitors (and biggers monitors)

12. terin

Original Member

I shall never have a dual monitor system! NEVAR!... I really can't stand looking at them and us marketing people have little need for it.

Now... connecting 9 monitors for a flight sim cockpit because I am an eccentric millionaire... THAT may happen someday when I strike it rich :D Case arrived yesterday. It's .... big :D

13. Bad Sector

Original Member

I prefer a single huge monitor (currently 27" at 1920x1080 but i really want a 30" at 2560x1440 or something like that) to dual smaller monitors. For multiple stuff there are always virtual desktops :p

14. terin

Original Member

Let the games begin!

I'm an hour and a half into it and already having some issues! :D

Step #1: After unpacking everything I have come to an important conclusion: My room was a mess before and now it's a disaster.

[​IMG]
    Hey, you can see my shoe!
    Step #2: So an hour into it and I already have a problem! My current machine has no AHCI setting for the SSD, which means I can't upgrade the firmware. After research, it seems 50/50 that the firmware improves some stability issues (some report having problems, some report fixes) so after messing with it for an hour we're just going to leave it as is and see if I BSOD.

Next: Migrating the OS. I considered a reinstall of the OS to the new PC, but I need to migrate data in two bursts: Step 1 will be to migrate the OS only to the SSD. Step 2 will be to migrate the OS and ALL other data to the HDD. Due to potential performance problems with the SSD, I want a backup copy of windows I know will work. To achieve this I am going to be using Paragon Migrate, which was 20 bucks and came recommended by someone. So far I can say this: It's slow going. Back to watching my red light blink at me.

[​IMG]
    Ghetto rigging the new SSD into the old machine.

15. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

Most likely too late, bug if you're on carpet there, I'd suggest putting the SSD into the case just because of static.

=) Good luck, personally I would have gone a fresh install. Windows is still pretty iffy when it comes to legacy installs onto new hardware.

16. terin

Original Member

Hey man, that's my DESK! Ugly isn't it?

I ended up doing a fresh install onto the SSD for the moment, that software was going to take like 24 hours to do the migrate and would have most likely failed :( I migrated the system onto the HDD so we'll see if that is worth it for the SSD.

In disaster news: The current rig didn't have a drive bay for the SSD, so I am waiting on that to arrive before using it anyway. Further, I have a strange feeling the MB is going to get in the way of the top exhaust fan. That will make me cry.

Otherwise the system is almost done. CPU fan arrives tomorrow, just have to pop that in, install the fx card, and boot it up. More pics soon :D

17. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

Haha crazy desk.

Good luck with it, I'm jealous of the specs. I got a choice... a faster car or a new computer.... went the car =D

18. terin

Original Member

So everything went pretty smoothly until I installed the CPU fan (which arrived a day late).

[​IMG]

thermal paste, check. Back bracket installed, check. Fan installed ... wait a second... that fan is going to be in the way of the ram... oh wait... maybe I should have installed it the OTHER WAY :D. Commence uninstall of CPU fan!
    [​IMG]
    Finally I got most of the components in before I ran into a second problem. The graphics card being FREAKING HUGE gets in the way of the power / reset / hdd led / front USB. I managed to squish the cords down and fit it in, but I had to sacrifice the front audio ports.

And then I went to slide the case together and ran into one last problem, because it would be too easy. As you can see the CPU fan is massive. I love it. Sadly it's literally about 1cm from the side of the case and sticks directly into where my second intake fan was. So I had to remove the second fan and am pondering installing it on the outside of the case... but that'd be so ghetto!

Now I am waiting on the 3.5 -> 2.5 conversion bracket to install the SSD. In other news, the magical transfer from my old HDD to the new one worked perfectly. Unfortunately I will have to do a clean install on the SSD- I'm not sure if or how I would be able to use the programs currently on this HDD with windows running off the SSD, but that is a problem for later. Worst case scenario, a lot of fresh installs.

[​IMG]
    Check that bad boy out

I'm still playing with OC, but the stats at the moment are

4.2 Ghz (OC) / 8gig 1600 Ram / GTX 570
    Temp under load: CPU: 50c Ambient: 45c / GPU: 59c

I had hoped to push the OC to 4.5ghz but it has been unstable every time I have tried. Using the auto-OC it set the voltage to 1.35v, which is not a setting I have tried yet. So next step is I will attempt to OC it to 4.4ghz at 1.35v. I have no need to OC the ram or GPU at this time.

Spiffy! Oh and a note for anyone who is planning a PC build: The Sunbeam EVO case is working great so far. Only note I have is that it claims it has Blue LEDs, but as you can see - it has red LEDs. If i had known that I woulda got a red fan darnit!

PS: I like lemonheads.

19. Reives Freebird

Reives Freebird New Member

It's like an Icy Hot Patch!

And hahah, I ran into the same RAM | CPU-fan problem when I was doing mine a month ago.

[​IMG]

I think we have the same one.

20. terin

Original Member

Insert twin towers joke.

:D

I expect the 2.5 drive bay conversion kit to arrive today, which means it's time to OC this to 4.4-4.5+

-Joe