Teen Girls Get Facelifts

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Musenik, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Musenik

Original Member

Mousechief Co. re-illustrated over 60 characters for 'Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble!'. Many thanks to an artist member here, PixelCat, for her quality work on the girls. Here's a sample and below is our press release.

NEW ARTWORK
    [​IMG]

Original artwork:
    [​IMG]

These High School Girls get Facelifts.

24 Sept. 2009 — Mousechief, Co. announces a stylish update to 'Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble!' Over 60 characters were re-illustrated, for a more vibrant, um, stained and aged look of a board game discovered in your great-grandma's attic...

After considering recent reviews, which Metacritic currently, solidly composites at 81, Mousechief decided to improve the one aspect that underperformed, its overall graphical look.

Originally released in June 2008, sales continue to beat the quick-death trend of most games in its class. This week, Stardock joins the online distributors of DHSGiT from their Impulse site: www.impulsedriven.com.

DHSGiT has been racking up kudos for a while.

At the start of 2009, the Writers Guild of America nominated 'Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble!' for Best Writing in a videogame, ranking it with Fallout-3, Star Wars: Force Unleashed, C&C RA3, and Tomb Raider: Underworld.

Dec 2008 - Adventure G.O.T.Y., Innovation G.O.T.Y., and #4 G.O.T.Y, by GameTunnel.com.
    Oct 2008 - Finalist in the IndieCade international games festival.
    Oct 2007 - Awarded Most Innovative Game by the Casual Game Association.

DHSGiT is an easily learned game of whimsically 'naughty' mini-games, literary satire, and adventurous role-playing. This is the game where good girls get better by being bad! Because you know, "Well-behaved women seldom make history."

It is not intended for children and has been rated TEEN using the T.I.G.R.S. rating system.

About Mousechief Co.

Founded in 2003, Mousechief is lead by a 16 year veteran of the gaming industry. Working with talents of fine-art illustrators and established musicians, Mousechief crafts unique, interactive experiences for all sorts of gamers. "We put mischief in your mouse."

# # #

For more information about Mousechief technology:

Company: Mousechief Co.
    E-mail: keithn@mousechief.com

Company site: http://www.Mousechief.com/
    Company logo: http://www.mousechief.com/bigMClogo.png

Game site: http://www.mousechief.com/dhsg/index.html
    Game logo: http://www.mousechief.com/cameo_ruby.png

Screenshots:
    http://www.mousechief.com/dhsg/ss/ss01DHS.jpg
    http://www.mousechief.com/dhsg/ss/ss02DHS.jpg
    http://www.mousechief.com/dhsg/ss/ss03DHS.jpg

#1 Musenik, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  2. MiceHead

Original Member

Love it. Love the fact that you used "Teen Girls Get Facelifts" as the thread title. Love the game.

3. desmasic

Original Member

Never played the game but from comparison shots posted, I prefer the older one (the new version is too.. serious).

4. dannthr

dannthr New Member

I feel like you lose a little charm in the facelift.

Cest la vie, I suppose...

5. Junkyard Sam

Junkyard Sam New Member

quote from website:
    "In the 1920s, young women had a chance to change society--by misbehaving. "

quote from above:
    "I feel like you lose a little charm in the facelift."

This game is setting right up for a sequel set in the 1940s when "young misbehaving women" in America were given lobotomies! We need more lobotomizing in indie games.

I love that games like this are being made.

6. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Good improvement, nice move.

7. Scurvy Lobster

Scurvy Lobster New Member

A big improvement in my eyes!

8. Musenik

Original Member

Thanks for your comments. It's a scary thing to 'improve' a game after it's done pretty well, and you're trying to reach 'really well'.

More comments would be greatly appreciated. I'm still learning a lot about this biz.

9. electronicStar

Original Member

Wow the new one is much better no contest, now they all look like human beings.

10. desmasic

Original Member

Yeah that's the problem, they actually lost their humanity (read = emotions) with the transformation.

Either way I am not a big supporter of making such changes which kill the theme and just look out of the place (or average, like a million other games with similar bland faces).

This similie is probably showing more emotions than all of them combined > :p

/personal view

11. Bad Sector

Original Member

In one hand, the new look makes the girls look more like highschool girls (the previous look gave me the impression that the girls were at least in their 30s - or even older).

In another hand, however, the previous look is stuck in my head as the distinct look of the game. I know that whatever im about to read in a page that has a shot or image from the game is about the game even before i start reading it. The previous look is not something you frequently see. The new one looks much better, but it isn't as unique (in games).

What is the best? Maybe the new one, because i had a hard time believing the girls' age in the old one.

12. WaveRider

Indie Author

I am very curious to know how your sales are effected by releasing a graphics-only update.

13. HDL

HDL New Member

I really like the new graphics. I wasn't certain for the first five seconds but just comparing them in the game, the new graphics are much cleaner. They do actually look like girls now (as opposed to women who could be of any age). I like how they're so similar to the old ones too though, just better.

14. dannthr

dannthr New Member

The maintanance dude hanging from the rafters is extremely eye piercing in both the before and after pictures.

First of all, he's the only character shaded with black, which is bad form to boot, but is also out of place with every other aspect of the scene. The move to the newer and less cartoonized pictures just leaves that scribbly form even MORE out of place.

Why didn't you replace his graphics?

15. Musenik

Original Member

sigh, wish I could tell you, but I just found and fixed a crash bug in the purchase system of the Mac version on intel. A full weekend of prime location on Apple Downloads, wasted...

However on Steam, sales have more than doubled. That's what got me scratching my head about why I hadn't seen one Mac sale over the weekend.

details -> apparently by enforcing Universal Runtime on my game code, a third party library that had always worked on both PPC and intel crashed. I guess Rosetta has to be invoked at launch or PPC libs will crash if loaded later.

16. MiceHead

Original Member

> However on Steam, sales have more than doubled.

Is that from issuing an update and having it propagate through their textual "what's new" list?

I'm not sure how all that jazz works on Steam. :)

17. Musenik

Original Member

You mean the news column at the top-right of Steam's main page? They did announce it there but didn't attach a link to the purchase page. It must have helped. I'm not sure about other pointers to products long buried by new titles.

18. Colm

Colm New Member

Any more Steam forum threads about counterstrike players accidentally buying the game?

19. Spore Man

Indie Author

Now re-do the dude hanging with the rope. It looks like clip art pasted into the scene. It stands out (has darkest outlines) and just doesn't match.

20. MiceHead

Original Member

Aha! Thanks.