Switching from ShareIt...?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by jeb_, Jun 20, 2007.

1. jeb_

Indie Author

Hello

We are currently selling The Strategist through ShareIt using price model B. Our experience with ShareIt has been mixed. They have a very good and easy to use control panel, good VAT handling and we have received payments without any fuss.

However, ShareIt is among the more expensive of the e-commerce services and they add another fee if we want to allow clients to use a free email address (hotmail, gmail, yahoo etc). Another (bigger) problem is that almost none of the portals and affiliates etc I've spoken to supports ShareIt.

So the question is, do you think we should change service, and in that case to which? I know GT recommends Plimus, but Plimus' control panel is really hard to use. Maybe I'm stupid, but I haven't figured out how to add a product yet :confused:

Does anybody have experience of changing FROM a service, and why did you do that?

2. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

I changed from regsoft to regnow. then regnow to plimus, then plimus to bmt. I still get the odd sale through regsoft. how annoying.
    The trick is you NEVER EVER hard code a link to a payment provider anywhere. The ONLY place these links exist is in my 'register.html' pages, which do nothing but a javascript redirect to the right link. My other webpages, press releases, in game links, desktop shortcuts all point to register.html.
    If BMT annoy me, I can switch providers in around 15 seconds.
    I found the best thing about plimus to be their reporting system, and their control panel is great once you are used to it. Their vendor pages are slow though, customer service is patchy, and their fraud checking is insanely over-protective and annoying. Plus they penalise people for chargebacks.
    YMMV.

3. Staton_Richardson

Staton_Richardson New Member

Cliffski, What were your reasons for choosing BMT over Plimus?

4. cliffski

the phone fraud checks

5. jeb_

Indie Author

Cliffski, so you mean that you are selling your games from all of those at the same time, but switch which one that is currently active?

6. cliffski

i tend to use bmt now, but there are some affiliates selling my stuff through the regnow and plimus systems.

7. gwilnai

gwilnai New Member

No, you're not stupid. The Plimus control panel takes some getting used to. We are working on a wizards-based version to make the entire process easier, and we'll be starting the overhaul with the sign-up process. In the meantime, feel free to take advantage of the free limited-time Switch Promotion where our design engineers will set up your Plimus account for you, including customizing your order pages to your website's look and feel, setting up your products, and more (all at no charge and no obligation, of course :) ). If you are interested, please send me your vendor ID and I'll make sure our switch team gets right on your account.

Best regards,
    Guy Wilnai
    Senior VP, Worldwide Sales & Marketing
    www.plimus.com
    guyw@plimus.com

8. dirsow

dirsow New Member

ShareIt blahhhhh

Hi,
    I just would like to add a comment as a customer. Everytime I try to buy something using Share It, I can't get my credit card validated. Very often I have to contact the producer and ask him if I can send the money using paypal. I think every brazilian customer which work with the same bank as I do have the same problem.

I hope this helps somebody,
    Dirso

9. ulfster

ulfster New Member

if im going on the "sell my game on my own route" as well i planned to use shareit too.

iam from germany and here in germany you have to inform every customer that he has the right to give back a bought item(software) within 2 weeks without any! explaination... if you dont do that you WILL get in legal trouble as there are like 10+ lawyers living from this kind of law.
    they check e-commerce sites if they have such a "informing clause" bevore you can buy there. if they dont, they will get a letter telling them they break a law wich puts them in a better place than a competetor who does inform the customers.

this way you first have to pay around 5000€ and sign that you dont do that again. then in some weeks later they check back and if you dont have such a text on your site prior to buying process you will be chared from up to 10.000€ this is no joke.

the funniest thing is that the text you have to put on your site from the german government IS NOT right. my english is not so good that i can explain it but what i want to say is that even if you use the standard text from the government those lawyers can still sue you.
    there simply is no secure text that puts you on the safe side. wich is a joke in my opinion.

now with shareit i can dodge this tricky thing as they act like the seller and they do have such a "text" on their german selling pages wich plimus, bmt and co do not have.

that would be the main reason using sharit for me. i dont know how it goes with bmt and co. do they act as a reseller too? i dont know what happens if they dont have this text and acting as the seller of my product linked from my site. will they be charged if they miss the text or am i responsible?

10. mrobert

mrobert New Member

I am using Emetrix. Very happy with them.

11. JoKa

Indie Author

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I agree there are too many "parasite lawyers" in Germany. License keys for example can't be given back. CDROMs can't be returned once their seal is broken. I'm watching the most frequented german shareware forums since '99 and have seen quite a few strange problems with lawyers, but nothing that meets your description?!?

12. Paul-Jan

Original Member

As this thread is getting a bit offtopic anyway, I'd like to add my 2 cents as well. We do use ShareIt, but only as an alternative to us directly handling things through PayPal. I do have the same creditcard-handling problem experience as Dirsow describes with one of the creditcards at the office (ShareIt just won't accept that particular card). On the other hand, ShareIt has served us very well getting sales out to countries like Columbia, that PayPal doesn't cater well (or at least didn't in the past).

I'm not too sure what your e-commerce service has to do with the ones the portals use? With affiliates using the same service might make integration of sales administration a bit simpler, but same story there... just go with the service that works best for you... like Cliffski does! :D

13. Sybixsus

Original Member

I have to say I'm in agreement with Cliff. I've put up with the daft anti-fraud measures ( which don't even work, I get more "fraud" with Plimus than I ever got with ShareIt or BMT by a mile, and nine times out of ten, I can spot it as soon as it's processed ) and the chargeback fees, and I did so because their customer service was always so good, but lately their customer service has gone to hell in a handbasket. I mean you only have to look at the announcements forum to see that it was Jack Norton warning people that Plimus had changed their custom HTML license system, and that vendors might be sending out invalid keys. Did Plimus take the time to contact people who might be losing business over this change? Of course not. And that's just the tip of the iceberg with their customer service lately. I've lost count of the times I've sat here grinding my teeth and deleting emails to them because there's no polite way to tell them how ridiculous it is to send rude emails demanding I contact a customer when their server goes down.

#13 Sybixsus, Jun 24, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  14. spellcaster

Original Member

Well, I am not sure you actually have to mention it - but yes, according to German law you can return anything bought online within 2 weeks without having to state any reasons.
    And as always, this works fine for material goods but imposes some problems when applied to software.

15. ulfster

ulfster New Member

joka, just search for "widerrufsbelehrung" ;) you have to have it if you sell something online in germany - even if selling software the customer has to be informed.

i think you can exclude giving back software but you still have to inform them prior to buying and not just in some link at the bottom. best way would be to have them read it and check a checker, "yes i read it" that needs to be checked until payment process can start.

thats why i would use sharit, they act as seller and have this thing in their selling process somewhere.

dunno how it is with plimus, bmt and the like, would be interesting...

16. JoKa

Indie Author

I know, but hey, we're indies, our customers deserve something better, something like a 60 day money back guarantee ;)
    I'm irritated, do well known reg services lack an option to include your license conditions, return options, etc.?

Yes, but this is related to goods which are suitable for returns. Movies, games or music are treated differently. Try to give back a game to a store - no chance once the package was opened.

17. ulfster

ulfster New Member

thats true because stores treat you like that, they believe you belong to the stupid masses. but according to the german law you can even open and install a brand new windows software with license key and still give it back within 14 days.
    if you have a lawyer on your side or know the laws yourself you can do this. did you know that the "media markt" (comparable to walmart only for electronics) got a nice little side income just by sueing competeter online stores for this law?
    almost no one knows it until they got hit buy a letter from a lawyer and then they are screwed. who can afford sums up to 10.000 euro without being hit?

thats why my opinion is, better be on the safe side! they probably dont invest much work if you have some sort of sentence like this on your page because it can get nasty.
    but if someone misses it completely its so damn easy for them to get money from you in germany...
    not only is it complicated enough here to start a business, no they have to throw stones in our way like this to make it even harder!

18. electronicStar

Original Member

Does this law apply to foreigners selling online to german customers?:confused:

19. JoKa

Indie Author

Didn't know you only need a lawyer to get free games&stuff ;)
    Can you refer to an example, where software authors had to pay thousands of Euros? I know MM hunts down little onlineshops with electronics. There are many details in law which are easily overlooked, thus allowing an attack. But it won't cost thousands initially. Maybe if you decide to take it to the court, where you need to pay a lawyer (and often have no chance to win, anyway). Of course, it can be really expensive if you make the same mistake twice.

Afaik you have to comply with the laws of countries where you sell your stuff to. But I wouldn't care too much, there are enough victims in Germany, who are much easier to sue :)

20. gwilnai

gwilnai New Member

To take the topic back to the original posting, I'm surprised at this quote about Plimus fraud protection and vendor support. Considering that your account has only 1 chargeback in 2007 and none in 2006, that hardly seems grounds to complain about our anti-fraud measures. And the last support ticket we have for your account is from a year ago, and that is the only ticket in the past 2 years.

Plimus continues to invest in evolving our fraud protection solution, and we believe it offers leading edge protection to our vendors. If someone has specific concerns, I welcome you to discuss them with me and we will find a solution.

This and other forums' feedback is very important to us, and this is how we learn and evolve our offering. For example, in the last month or so, Plimus has added many valuable features requested by our vendors, e.g.,

• Email Marketing system: We offer our Newsletter system to all of our vendors, at no additional cost. This premium service allows you to contact any subset of your customers that you want, including those who have come to your order pages but not completed their orders. You'll find the Newsletter system as the rightmost tab of your main account page on the control panel.

• Subdomains: Instead of selling from secure.plimus.com, you can now be selling from YourCompany.plimus.com. It may improve your conversion rates. Contact support@plimus.com to have this feature enabled for your account.

• Full Localization: Along with our 18 local payment currencies and 13 languages, Plimus now lets you localize your product name and description and other information on your order page into the languages of your choice.

• News: In your control panel, you can see the latest news and alerts from Plimus. See the My Products section of your main control panel page.

• One-page Ordering: If you want the credit card information to be entered on the first page of the ordering process instead of the second, send us an email to support@plimus.com and let us know, and it will be configured for you.

Best regards,
    Guy Wilnai
    Senior VP, Worldwide Sales & Marketing
    Plimus, Inc.
    www.plimus.com
    guyw@plimus.com