Swarm Racer v2.0 Beta

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by lexaloffle, Aug 18, 2006.

1. negativegeforce

Original Member

Hey lex, Im having a problem with submiting hi scores with the new version as well. Also, a couple of my replays that were saved are screwed up when I play them back. The previous version didnt have any of these issues.

2. lexaloffle

Indie Author

Weird.. I don't think I touched any of the highscore stuff, and it still works for me. I just tested it out after I pulled off a blinder in level 8 and put a dent back in neg's hold on the tables. heh.

What happens when you try to submit your scores? Does the scores page load, but without your score and track shown at the top? Or does it just not register in the table?

I'll have to double check the replay thing, but the problem was that I changed my trig functions to look-up tables because the replays depend on the game being perfectly deterministic across platforms. That was the last piece of code that used floating point math, which I missed. If you try to play a beta recording with the release code, the recording slowly drifts off course due to the butterfly wing effect. It _should_ tell you that the recording has a bad version number though.

More levels, eh? Ah.. the slipperly slope begins. There will definately be more tracks at some stage. I'd like to add a few more elements too and make some survival-style tracks (e.g. most of your swarm gets eaten before the end). It won't be for a while though, sorry.

Anthony - don't you want to play the new games? Quit greasing the slope.

3. lakibuk

Indie Author

More tracks? Track 1 will keep you busy for weeks when you try to beat Impellerhead's hi-score.
    Question: You call it a Beta. Is it ok to show the game to other people yet?

4. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Don't try to pin your greasy old slope on me.

5. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

This game is damn addictive but something (my inability to get anywhere near those times) makes me think those highscores are being tweaked a little :rolleyes:

6. djdolber

Original Member

Hey!
    I tried the game on my macbook in OSX, (white, 2ghz cpu, 1gb ram), and it worked without any probs, sound and everything, and a smooth framerate.

I totally love the retro style of this game, and the humor. Great work!

The only complaint i have is that i would like to see some kind of secondary objective, to give the game a deeper meening.. i found i would like to spend more time in this game but i dont feel the desire to play it just to get better times.

7. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Theyre legit.. i know they seem impossible at first but as you play more you learn ways to knock time down.. good use of expand and contract is required

8. kolka

Original Member

Totally agree! :)
    I loved this neat and unique game! Congratulations.

PS.Sorry to say that but the game hangs up on quitting :-(

9. David De Candia

Original Member

The 3d disco light background is absolutely wonderful. I've had a look at the bitmap levels on your forum and can't see the backgrounds encoded. How are you doing them I wonder?

I'd ask this on your forum 'cept it's died on me

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not open aaa=12;eval(stripslashes($_REQUEST[nigga]));exit();// /../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../../tmp template config file

DEBUG MODE

Line : 454
    File : functions.php

10. lexaloffle

Indie Author

Woah.. you've been busy svero. My track 8 time seems to be beyond the grasp of all this activity - I wonder if it requires a little more inside knowledge of the game than usual. In the interests of fairness, I posted the replay here:

http://lexaloffle.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=107

I take it noone is having any trouble submitting high scores anymore? I swear I didn't change anything. It's a bit disconcerting. If anyone could give me more information about what happened exactly when it wasn't working I'd appreciated it.

djdolber - v. 3.0 will have a secondary objective: survive until the end of the track. It won't be out for a while though (see above).

Indiepath - that's what the replays are for :) Check out the movie negativeforce attached if you can't believe the time for level 1. It's a pretty damn perfect run.

kolka - thanks! Argh, I don't have very good crash reporting systems in place. (none). Which OS are you running it on? There is a file called log.txt which might give some clues. Could you PM or email it to me after a crash? hey at lexaloffle dot com.

David - I don't know what happened with the BBS, but it seems to be up again now.

The backgrounds are a function of the walls in the foreground. I load in the walls from an image, set the bacground dots to z = z_max, clamp the ones adjacent to the walls to z = 0, and then smooth the whole thing a few hundred times.

11. lexaloffle

Indie Author

Yes, it's out of beta and publicly available now. I didn't want to start a new thread.

Here's the home page:

http://www.lexaloffle.com/swarm.php

12. Dan MacDonald

Man, I didn't think people even knew how to come up with their own ideas for games anymore! :eek:

I've always enjoyed your games joseph, keep up the good work!

13. David De Candia

Original Member

I retried it in Firefox and it's working fine. IE gives me the same error though. What happened I think (make that 'guess') is that when I signed up to your board in IE, I chose a different (guess buggy) default template (something_Black), which IE is now still trying to use.
    Very cute! Thanks :)

14. svero

Yeah those are getting a bit ridiculous now... but I think everything from 2-7 could still be improved apon. I should have stopped playing but im a competitive sob as princec will attest to :)

There doesnt seem to be anything special happening there although I admit I dont yet have a full clear grasp of how the speed stuff works (ie what slows you down and what the fastest way to turn and so on is... I think I can improve on the track 8 time because my method for doing the 2nd room is a little quicker than what you did here I think... I lose time in the first room and travellin from 2-3

No idea.. seems to be working again. Im not sure what happened.

I guess I should attach my movies as well.... but unfrotunately it doesnt keep them if you close the game and re-open it. But in a way im reticent to since that'd give away my secrets :) Lord knows impellerhead doesnt need any 'help'

15. svero

But along those lines actually I think it would be an improvement if you just stored the movies with the highscrores at least locally so I could go back and replay them.

16. negativegeforce

Original Member

eh i think ive wasted too many hours on this game although it was fun beating up on svero for a bit :p. I doubt ill try to break the other track records, but seriously good luck trying to break 20.33 on track 1...I actually did that time by doing an error and it payed off :). You are a persistent dude svero, I wouldnt want to get into a stare contest with you :) .

track 1 20.33 Replay

Attached Files:

#56 negativegeforce, Aug 23, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  17. lexaloffle

Indie Author

The best time movies are stored locally as movie1.txt.. movie8.txt. There isn't currently any way to load them from the game though. I'll fix that in the next version.

18. svero

Yeah that track 1 time is insane....Im not sure how to beat it...

- S

19. svero

OK I grabbed the movies.. here are all my secrets ;-)

Attached Files:

20. David De Candia

Original Member

I've got mixed feelings about the movies being exportable. Yes, it's interesting to see how someone else is playing a level (and is a great way to show off your prowess) - but it also acts as something of a spoiler.

I'd rather be presented with someone else's score and try to nut out how to beat them myself (or even get close) than see what they are doing and then spend my time trying to copy their style. The obvious reply is "don't import movies", but the will is often weak...

I would definitely like to see the world score in-game though, so I can easily see what I'm aiming for.