SURVEY: The best shareware/indie game site?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Morphecy, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Morphecy

Original Member

Hi. I'm doing a research on what kind of shareware & indie video game sites people visit and I'd like you to help

me out. Here are 9 questions.

1) Do you visit at (shareware) gaming sites where you can download games, read news etc.?

2) What are the best shareware/indie game sites you know & visit?

3) What would you like to see on this kind of site?

...Downloads?

...Polls?

...News?

...Comics?

...Independent game reviews?

...Independent game developer "behind-the-screen" stufF?

..."Coming soon" games?

...Articles?

...Book reviews?

...Flash games?

...Anything else?

4) What would be the most important service a gaming site can offer?

5) Would you like to have a personalized service so that you could choose your favourite genres and get informed

via email when a new game (or related news etc.) of your favourite genre/selection is published?

6) What is it important for you to know about games? (rating? computer specs? "suitable for ages ...")

7) Would you like to know more about how games are developed and published?

8) Do you want to create your own game?

9) Any other comments or ideas about what you would like to get from a gaming site?

Thanks for your answers! :cool:

2. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

Somehow, I doubt you're going to get the answers your looking for from an indie dev site... Especially number 8 - Almost everybody here wants to create their own game

3. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

1) Do you visit at (shareware) gaming sites where you can download games, read news etc.?

Yeah

DIYGames, Gametunnel, Bytten are the only one's I know for anything other than pure sales.

..Downloads?
    ..News?
    ..Independent game reviews?
    ..Independent game developer "behind-the-screen" stufF?
    ..Articles?

Content. Thats what all the indie sites lack since there's no money in it. More content==better site

5) Would you like to have a personalized service so that you could choose your favourite genres and get informed

no.

6) What is it important for you to know about games? (rating? computer specs? "suitable for ages ...")

Standard review stuff... not unlike all the regular game mags

No.

Yeah! THat'd be great!

4. Morphecy

Original Member

Gotta start somewhere ;)

@svero: Thanks for your answer.

5. papillon

Indie Author

Reviews, reviews, reviews, and - oh! - reviews. :) I like to read people talking about games. Every site gets too tired to put out enough reviews to make me happy. Comics and polls and wobbling are a waste of time, I WANT GAMES. :)

Regularly visit:

The download.com what's new section (and swear viciously at the retail-mod GARBAGE blocking up my new games)
    Game Tunnel
    DIY Games

6. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

I like that new signature quote Svero.

7. svero

He's very Kurt Vonnegut-esque that Mark Twain. I was just reading A conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, which is filled by some of the most horrid depressing scenes one can imagine tied together with black wacky humor and decided to use Twain for my next quote.

8. Reactor

1) Yes, I do visit indie gaming websites.

2) Gametunnel and DIYGames are the two best sites I'm aware of.

3) On the websites I just like to read solid indie-game reviews, and indie gaming news. That's about it.

4) The most important service a gaming site coulf offer is solid, frequent reviews (I just like reading what people think about indie games).

5) I'm not interested in a personalized service.

6) I like knowing as much as I can about games. That includes all areas.

7) I would like to know more about how games are developed and published.

8) I am currently creating my own game.

9) There aren't any other comments or ideas I'd like to get from a gaming site.

Thanks for your questions! :)

9. Morphecy

Original Member

@Wayward & Reactor: You gave me really good answers. Big thanks. May I ask you: What "level" indies are you? "just started creating my first game", "already completed one game" or "have completed many games"? And do you guys have a website?

10. Gmicek

Original Member

Very few actually. GT and DIY are the only two I visit on a regular basis (heh). I don't read Bytten that much because I'm not a fan of their site navigation, and they don't time/date stamp their content, so I have no idea what's new or old.

I could care less about : Downloads, polls, book reviews, and flash games.
    I really like: news, comics, previews, articles, and editorials.

A strong and well informed editorial voice that gives me confidence that the writer knows what they're talking about. Unique news stories and features that aren't just rehashes of stuff I've read on other sites.

No, I could personally care less.

Screenshots and a one or two sentence recap telling me the good and bad parts of the game.

Not if it's "Yeah, so we're using this new source code control program!" type stuff. But if it centers around the issues with bringing a game to market and trying to get it to sell I could be interested. (sales figures, marketing campaign specifics, etc. It's why Cliffski is my hero, hehe)

not if it involves doing any work.

Not really looking for anything from a new gaming site because I think there are already too many out there as it is. Concerning the current crop of indie sites, I believe that the existing sites need to be made more professional and presentable before others start opening up, but that's just my slightly biased opinion :)

11. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

Yes.

DIY and GameTunnel. I read GT for reviews. GT has tons of Indies reviews and they usually get a new review or two every week. DIY is a bit short on the reviews. However, I read DIY for the news. DIY has very nice detailed informative news articles on Indie games and Indie developers. GT on the other hand seems to post press releases and anonymous news submissions verbatim.

So I think both sites compliment each other well right now. GT for reviews, DIY for news. Hey, that rhymes! :)

GT and DIY are on shoestring budgets, so I understand it's tough but I still would like to see more previews and interviews. If more people learn about upcoming Indie games and get to know the developers (via interviews), then I think the Indie scene overall will get more awareness. I really see Indie news sites as our Ambassadors to the rest of the gaming public. I want to be able to say, "You want to know more about the Indie game scene? Go to this website and check out all the reviews, previews, and interviews"

Regularly updated content and a clean organized layout. Update the site at least 3-4 times a week, so people check it daily. Make it easy to find and browse previews and reviews. I hate sites that dump all their reviews into a link farm. I really like how Gametunnel organized its reviews. They have it organized into genres and also top-rated and most recent releases. Pretty much perfect - http://www.gametunnel.com/html/reviews.html

I like the others, I don't care about this at all.

The usual. I want to know what the game is about. I want to hear details of the game. If it sucks, tell me why. If it's best thing ever, tell me why.

Depends. Like someone else mentioned, I could care less about the minor technical details of the project unless there's something about it really interesting.

However if someone is self-publishing then I'd like to hear more about that.

See my signature. :)

9) Any other comments or ideas about what you would like to get from a gaming site?

I may regret saying this (Greg and Russell cover your ears. :p ), but don't be afraid to be harsh with Indie games in reviews. I mentioned this before on the old board, it will encourage Indie developers to raise the bar if the major Indie gaming sites are more critical of the games. I certainly don't want the reviewers to be jaded and compare every Indie game to a AAA retail title. But at the same time there are good, bad, horrible, and great Indie games. They shouldn't be so closely lumped together.

#11 Chris Evans, Jul 29, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2004
  12. Morphecy

Original Member

@Chris Evans & Gmicek: Thanks for the insight.

More answers gladly taken :)

13. Reactor

I'm about a month away from finishing my first game. My brother and I just started as full-time developers, and will have a website up and running in towards the end of development. Just keep watching these forums, and you'll see it pop up sooner or later :)

14. Morphecy

Original Member

@reactor: that sounds excellent. looking forward seeing your game

15. Morphecy

Original Member

Anyone else want to share their opinions? (sorry - last time that I try to get more answer :cool: )

16. CROS

Original Member

17. Sunshine

Original Member

I would like to see a forum with a list of game titles going all the way back to the very first game, and the threads never expire. Like a compendium of reviews and discussions about ALL the games!

Uhh........ :eek: REVIEWS!!!! YES MORE REVIEWS!! :cool: That's what we need!

18. Sunshine

Original Member

BTW Thank you for this link 'http://remakes.org/'
    :D That page is awsome! :D

19. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

Hi!

I have received enough answers and like to thank you for answering to this poll.

The other polls were made in these sites:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=36629
    http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/postdisplay.cgi?forum=Forum1&topic=003977
    http://indiegamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=226#post226
    http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1471711#post1471711

My conclusion is:
    - There are quite many indie game sites in the net already
    - In my opinion, the gaps are filled in most parts (like news, game reviews...)
    - Problem with "hobby" sites are lack of updates
    - It could be beneficial for indie sites to merge and form one bigger site. I think this would be beneficial in all aspects: for indie site reviewers (they would have more work force), for developers (one big site is better than lots of small ones - one good site to put your game available. Also one big site attracts more ad usage than several smaller sites...) and for the players (they could get the information from one site)

I won't go into that direction (put a new indie game review site on the net) but I hope some indie sites find this information beneficial for them.

Thanks for your help.