Super Elvis goes into beta

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by princec, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Addictive 247

Indie Author

Just played it and I think it's cool, whacky and completely original :)
    Great production values and visually stunning. I love the different ideas behind the different levels i.e. Pacman, Binary and Pool Table :cool:

The only thing I'd like to see is louder in-game music.

2. princec

Indie Author

svero's suggested I put a volume slider in the options. Might well put it in sometime but not sure when. Getting sick of coding it.

Cas :)

3. Scorpio

Indie Author

Hey Cas, I've been looking forward to trying your game but I just get a white screen (with music) when I run it (I'm using the Windows EXE installer). If I hit escape a few times I can get it to exit.

I'm running a "stock" SiS system with most everything on the motherboard (I like to keep it stock for testing purposes).

Are there any startup options I can tweak (maybe to force it to run in a window?).

Let me know, thanks.
    -Scorpio

4. princec

Indie Author

No! Your SiS card is worthless. Take it out of your machine, smash it into little bits, and throw the bits out of a window, and then go outside and jump up and down on them. Then buy yourself a secondhand GeForce for $10, and I'll give you all my games for free if you tell me what you bought :)

That's the same deal I offer all my customers with crapcake video cards.

5. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Running SiS is like running an old Matrox or voodoo, they really suck. It's amazing the amount of games that wont run on them.

6. Scorpio

Indie Author

I need to make sure HipSoft games run properly...so I keep my system stock with the SiS stuff, even tho it's crap (HipSoft can't tell its customers to buy new hardware :) I have a GeForce4 on my shelf, but it's still in the shrink-wrap. :)

I'll see if I can try it on our artists machine as the game sounds like fun.

(Dan, I did get to play the web version of Little Soldiers on grab.com...it's a lot of fun...nice work!)
    -Scorpio

7. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

8. princec

Indie Author

Hence the offer I make to customers: upgrade your hardware and I give 'em the game for free! Can't say fairer than that :D Anybody else do this?

9. Scorpio

Indie Author

I agree that it's a very fair offer. Upgrading hardware is just not something that most of our customers are capable of doing themselves. I'll throw something better in my machine at home since I don't do much development at home these days :)
    -Scorpio

10. stan

Original Member Indie Author

I tried the exe version and it crashed on the first try just after setting the resolution to 800x600 (I can tell because that's the desktop resolution after the reboot...). Then after the reboot, it ran fine.

Hm... Ah yes, I alt-tabbed and then after going back to the game, the screen was black. Sound still playing. I tried clicking, alt-tabbing again but no luck. That's actually about the same thing that happens with my (OpenGL) game when I reduce it (except with my game the display isn't black, but trashed).

This is under win98se and with not-the-latest-but-not-very-old Radeon drivers. Actually I downloaded them on the 25th of august. 512 MB RAM, Athlon 850, Radeon 9200 SE 128MB.

And then, after pressing ESC about 10 times hoping to exit the game, it tried to open an internet connection, then launched netscape 7 to report the crash. On the support page, the text reads "First we need to know your graphics card", but I don't see anything on the page where to enter or select a card.

As far as the game is concerned, it's very nice. Great graphics, sounds, usability (though it wasn't easy to shoot in the good direction). It's not entirely the kind of games I like, but as others have said the different rules in every room make it interesting :).

Edit: ah, forgot one thing: please don't name the installer "SetupSuperElvis.exe", but "SuperElvisSetup.exe"! Thanks ;)

And BTW, I agree with another poster that it's not easy to understand when you're winning and when you're being hit, at first... Though one could say it's part of the "guess what to do" challenge. This didn't annoy me.

#70 stan, Nov 8, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  11. stan

Original Member Indie Author

I was stuck in the Binary level (I think I figured out what to do, but it's too difficult :p), pressed ESC, and the game exited at once.

The readme says "in case of crash, please include the two log files", but I can only see log.dat.

Ah, and I realize it's the first time I see the outro nag screen :). Offered me to buy the 56 other levels and global high score table for 4.95. (I wonder who's going to buy it for 4.95 GBP when it's available for 4.95 USD!)

Hm, maybe I like this game after all ;)

12. princec

Indie Author

Unfortunately you will find that if you live in the UK you're charged in £ whether you like it or not :) Likewise Euros for anyone in Europe, and $ for anywhere else in the world. Based on the country you select in the Buy Now screen (to come).

ESC does indeed quit the game immediately without warning - that's another debug feature.

You'll get the hang of Binary eventually :D

I've made some changes to the controls which should please a few people here, but they won't be uploaded for a few more days.

13. Nemesis

Original Member

Design-wise, this game must be the product of a sick mind ;)

Seriously.. the demo is really fun to play.. I think it will do far better than AlienFlux. Congrats and good luck!

14. Pyabo

Original Member

Nice work, Cas! Very fun, and instantly more fun than Alien Flux, IMO. Ran fine too, once Java Webstart download 9.7Mb worth of something or other... surely that wasn't your game!? :)

15. princec

Indie Author

Yep, 9.7MB of content and game code.
    However.... using LZMA the Win32 exe version, with an embedded JVM, is only 8.1MB! Hmph.

16. impossible

Original Member

It's a cool game with a great style and a good feel. It does a lot of things better than Alien Flux, but I think it still makes most of the same mistakes as Alien Flux.

17. princec

Indie Author

AF doesn't really make any mistakes now... it converts reasonably well and for the kind of people who buy it, nothing else will do... so what mistakes are these?

18. impossible

Original Member

Now that I've gone back and read the thread I think most of the major problems are actually being cleared up.

I thought webstart was a mistake, but I see you'll have a win32 exe available for download. I see you're working on the controls as well. Would you consider having two control schemes, one "simple" mouse only control scheme and maybe an "advanced" mouse+keyboard control scheme for people that want to aim and move independently?

Besides that, the constantly changing roles of the enemy or friend sprites can be confusing, although I get that a lot of the challenge of the game is figuring out what you need to do to beat the level. Also I feel that the demo may not give enough incentive to register, which was also a problem with AF, but there appears to be more variety than the AF demo had.

19. super_e

Original Member

Okay I tried the demo and I was totally blown away! I mean, Super Elvis?!! -- its pure clean fun. Nice work Cas!

I tried the game on an:

Intel Centrino 1.6GHz
    512 MB RAM
    ATI Radeon 350M (mobile)
    WinXP Home (SP2)

However, I read all the 77 posts and I believe all my suggestions were already covered. :) If you can release a new build with those new controls, it would be great.

- Erick

20. z3lda

Original Member

Just tried it now, and... love it! Way better then alien flux.