Super Elvis goes into beta

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by princec, Nov 4, 2004.

1. papillon

Indie Author

Controls - confusing on first play. Tended to just get shooting in one direction and keep it that way rather than try to work out how to both move and shoot in multiple directions.

Clicking on a level to go to would result in large lag, then the level starting up too quickly. I played several rooms before knowing there WAS any explanation text on entering a new room, and I was *never* able to read it... I only saw a flicker of something word-shaped in the center of the picture for a frame or so once or twice. So all the rest of my confusion about how to play may boil down to not being able to read the directions.

2. patrox

Indie Author

Soon 6 ( with super elvis ) :D

pat.

3. aduro

Original Member

ran fine for me. i really like the visuals and effects.

4. Schik

Original Member

I clicked on the link, and it warned me not to run it. I ran it anyways, and it started downloading and installing stuff. It all looked like it was going fine. Then my screen changed resolution. Okay, the game's starting! Then I was dropped back to my desktop, and all of my windows were resized to tiny little windows. :eek:

5. princec

Indie Author

I need system specs and logs folks! "It didn't work" won't help me fix it for ya! Logs can be found in docs & settings\blah\Super Elvis 1.0 and if you know how you can enable further logging in Java Webstart using the control panel.

Cas :)

6. Schik

Original Member

Oh, I didn't see you mention that earlier, nor do I know anything about enabling debugging in java.

I made the bad assumption that if I didn't meet the requirements, Super Elvis would let me know that in a nice way. I googled for the java 1.4 download (for others who don't have it - you can get it at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html), installed it, and now the game runs.

Edit: Okay, I've played through the 9 levels it allowed me to, with no further problems. The price it offered me was $9.95. It's fun - it reminds me of Dr. Lunatic Supreme With Cheese.

#26 Schik, Nov 4, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  7. Midnight Synergy

Indie Author

Oh man, Cas, the controls are horrible - you gotta change that!!!

:D Just kidding!

The game is quite fun, and the production values are great - love the groovy look! My biggest concern would be the time it takes to get the game started. I had to install Java 1.4 first - thanks Shick for the link! Then restart the system. Then load again - it crashed as it was almost done. Tried again, loaded up... lots of little warning boxes. Then finally desktop changes and off we go.

That's a lot of roadblocks for things to go wrong, or people to decide it's not worth bothering with. The more you can automate this process, the better. I'm fairly computer sophisticated (*ahem*) but I'm no java expert, and if I had just seen this on a games website, I don't think I would have gone all the way (esp. after the first crash). I'm worried that any non-expert gamer without the proper system setup will never get to try the demo. I'm sure you are aware of this difficulty, but I not it is something you really need to think about streamlining as much as possible.

Otherwise, again, very fun game! Best of luck with it.

Patrick

8. tolik

Original Member

LISTEN PEOPLE GET YOUR JAVA UP AND PLAY IT
    (hehe)

This game is damn addictive as PomPom creations!
    It's very polished, it's very attractive and it really has style and feel.
    The gameplay is just genious, it's an essence of the SHMUPs connected with Smash TV or something plus some kind of storyline!

And don't push space which completes a level for some reason.

I would buy it in couple of days when I'll be able to run it on more computers (I'll have to check my notebook). I can't set up OpenGL on work machine, but at home machine which is just Win2k/P3-800/256/GF5200MX it runs fast and smooth. And fun!

I wouldn't comment on any game features, I liked everything, especially weird control system, I remember some game having similar controls to it.

9. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

The game was fun. I like it much better than Alien Flux. However, I think you need to come up with some more control options. I really hated the method for picking the direction to shoot. I don't think there's any way to get away from having the mouse move the player, but how about an option to use the arrow keys (or some player selected keys) for shooting?

10. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

It's funny, Cas you just had to get your "multiple frames of refrence" gameplay in there... didn't you? The "eye" level is oddly reminicent of playing alien flux with the origional controls, puts me in the same state of mind anyway ;)

11. svero

I think you really need to compile this into an exe. The webstart tech just isnt there yet. It's not smooth and inviting. It will be a huge deterrent to sales.

12. stan

Original Member Indie Author

I just thought I'd mention that with Microsoft's java installed (I think), Netscape 7 just asks me where I want to save the .jnlp file or with which app I want to open it...

I want to try this game though :) so I'll probably (re)install Sun's JVM. I hate Java. Currently have 2 different versions of Sun's JVM installed according to the control panel, one of which can't be removed, and Microsoft's JVM was installed afterwards because of some stupid web site that required it... and nothing works anyway (well, not the games, at least).

I'm really interested in the random demo features feature :), as I'm planning to do something like that (though probably on a smaller scale).

13. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

I really want to play this game, but it won't work on all three of my machines.

On my two Windows machines, it doesn't recognize the file type and even on my Mac I get a Java Web Start error - "Invalid Argun Unable to launch Super Elvis".

I know very little about Java Web Start, so I went to your website to find some info about what I need to run this game. I couldn't find any info about getting Java Web Start to work.

I agree with Svero, you really should provide an .exe as well. At the very least have an Idiot's step-by-step guide on how to get the game to run for people like me.

14. Diragor

Original Member

This is my first Java Webstart experience and it was pretty ugly. I didn't even get the game running.

I installed Sun's JRE and rebooted, came back here and clicked on the link. I could see that it downloaded several things, at least one 9+ MB file, though I don't know where it put the stuff. Got a couple warnings about installing things and chose the "yes" options. The I got a black screen for maybe 15-20 seconds and finally my firewall popped a dialog about Java connecting to puppygames. I let it go through but there was no indication that anything was happening after that except superelvis showing up in Task Manager (Windows XP, SP2). I killed it, came back and clicked the link again. A couple loading dialogs, a black screen for a short time then the game's main menu came up. From there I couldn't make anything happen. I saw the yellow cursor in the middle of the screen but my mouse didn't work, neither did my joystick (USB Adaptoid with an N64 controller) and I couldn't find any keyboard keys that would make anything happen except CTRL-ALT-DEL when I finally resorted to that.

So, I'm interested in checking out the game but I can't. If I were a potential customer (and maybe I am), this is about where I'd give up.

System details: Windows XP SP2, Java runtime: j2re-1_4_2_05-windows-i586-p.exe, Athlon XP 3200+, 1GB memory, plenty of free hd space, Radeon 9700 Pro with very recent drivers (Catalyst 4.9 - I think I'm one release back, maybe a month or two ago).

15. oNyx

Original Member

>and even on my Mac

The mac version isn't there yet.

>At the very least have an Idiot's step-by-step guide on how to get the game
    >to run for people like me.

-Install java. www.java.com (upper right corner)
    -Click the jnlp link

That's about it... if you have proper drivers and if you don't get that black screen bug (it's a newly introduced bug in lwjgl, which appears [afaik] only on win98 - should be fixed soon).

16. Sillysoft

Indie Author

I know that there are some reasons why the mac version isn't there yet. However I would just like to point out that every single mac comes with a JVM installed. And it gets updated to the most recent version by the built-in software update. And macusers and generally starved for games (in comparison to windows folk). And there is a grand tradition of shareware on the mac platform. Lastly, I have a mac and would like to try out Super Elvis :D

So get it working on macs eventually. It will be worth your while.

17. oNyx

Original Member

Ye, well the porting work for the mac version of lwjgl is already on it's way. It should be done pretty soon nowâ„¢ ;)

18. arcadetown

First off Cas... you know I'm a hard core Java guy and got Java 1.4 with webstart, OpenGL, yada yada yada. Yet I can't get it to run. Something's up.

Saw the following very non-user friendly messages when trying to launch it. Typical Sun we've got our heads so far up our asses techie messages that we want to scrare off every average joe that touches your stuff and we don't care attitude.

Non-user friendly msg1
    Non-user friendly msg2
    Non-user friendly msg3

After clicking those buttons the game came up. The rollovers on the main menu appeared mapped to the wrong buttons. When clicked "play" button it did nothing and acutally highlighted another button. Quite odd.

19. Dan MacDonald

What is that "Legion of the bouncy castle" thing.. i pretty much resigned myself to installing any and all spyware when I clicked OK on that one. I never would have clicked Ok if I didn't know cas personally...

20. arcadetown

Tried again few minutes later and worked great. Just add a little lsd and presto... Super Elvis baby!! Pretty cool and unique once it gets running. If can figure out those prior techie issues bet would be really awesome.