Super Elvis goes into beta

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by princec, Nov 4, 2004.

1. princec

Indie Author

Super Elvis is finally finished, a laughable failure in 80-hour game development it has taken nearly as long as Alien Flux to write.

Things you should know:
    - You will need Java 1.4 or later installed.
    - Mac version not ready yet so don't even try it.
    - Otherwise should work on Win32 and Linux
    - Requires OpenGL1.1 drivers or above.
    - Requires 700MHz processor or above
    - Requires 64MB of RAM
    - No, we haven't given it a proper ICO yet, nor a loading splash
    - No, it's not signed yet, I've got no money, so just trust me
    - If when you click below you just get some wierdy XML file it means that you need to (re)install your JVM.

http://67.18.194.226/downloads/superelvis.jnlp

Let me know what you think. Might be interesting to compare the configurations it gives you here too (number of free levels and discount are the two easily discernible ones). Free codes to all you devs when I get the reg. server up and running over the weekend.

Cas :)

#1 princec, Nov 4, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  2. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

When I click on the link it opens a browser window and a "java loading" message appears. Then it just says...

"Unable to launch the specified application".

No idea why.

scott

3. Dan MacDonald

I think java webstart's user expirence is horridly broken, however the game is oddly mind sucking. I can't start it up without playing at least 10 levels before quitting.

4. tolik

Original Member

Since it does use OpenGL, I can't play it. Still can't install GeForce OpenGL drivers on my Win2k dev station. It does work like 2fps.

5. princec

Indie Author

Is there not a details tab somewhere on the Webstart launch error with an exception stacktrace in it?

emuLynx - do you why are you unable to install drivers?

6. princec

Indie Author

I've found one bug already - clicking Buy Now doesn't bring the Buy Now window to the front! You have to alt-tab just to see it. Whoops! :eek:

7. luggage

oops. didn't see that somehow!

General
    Code:
    An error occurred while launching/running the application.

Category: Invalid Argument error

Could not load file/URL specified: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\6UEX5P8M\superelvis[1].jnlp
    Exception
    Code:
    CouldNotLoadArgumentException[ Could not load file/URL specified: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\6UEX5P8M\superelvis[1].jnlp]

at com.sun.javaws.Main.main(Unknown Source)
    Wrapped Exception
    Code:
    java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\6UEX5P8M\superelvis[1].jnlp (The system cannot find the file specified)

at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)

at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)

at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)

at com.sun.javaws.Main.main(Unknown Source)

8. luggage

ack! that didn't appear as neat as I thought it would. Sorry for destroying the thread :)

9. luggage

I did click the link you posted to it in another thread before and didn't notice any windows as it opened in the background. I may well have shut my machined own after that hence why it's a superelvis[1].jnlp.

I'm guessing just clearing the cache will fix it?

10. tolik

Original Member

I have no idea why I don't have OpenGL acceleration, I've tried to reinstall them couple of times without any success.

11. princec

Indie Author

Probably. I have to say that the integration with internet explorer seems a bit "iffy". What version of Java do you have?

12. princec

Indie Author

You probably need to uninstall the previous drivers first. Then maybe run a Detonator Killer utility to get rid of any pesky nvidia dlls that interfere with each other, and then install some drivers. Some time back Nvidia released a batch of drivers that broke all their later drivers - woops!

It's well worth getting this sorted because there are an awful lot of OpenGL games you're missing out on.

13. oNyx

Original Member

<offline-allowed/>

Shalt be removed. That makes beta testing easier, because javaws will then always check if there's a new version ;)

14. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

First of all, I think the game is very well done, and should do a lot better than Alien Flux. The controls are simple and the theme is fun. I enjoyed playing it, and anyone who knows me also knows that I don't hand out compliments very often!

I'd be concerned about so many people being unable to run it though.

15. princec

Indie Author

I wouldn't worry too much about that at this stage. I'm more or less making a deliberate attempt to exclude people in order to include certain others. And there will likely be an independently installable Win32 exe at some point but not before I've finished the Webstart experiment.

16. tolik

Original Member

Like 5 games? Really.

17. oNyx

Original Member

All quake engine games, all doom3 engine games, all games made with ptk, gish...

Well, if you want to use a broken system. Fine. Really ;)

18. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Couple of things I found;

1) When you run the game for the first time, Super Elvis starts up as well as another window from webstart asking if you want to integrate it into the desktop.
    This other window gets focus and when you go back to the Super Elvis app it's lost it's surface, i.e. black screen no visuals, sound plays , esc still quits out as per usual
    2) When you play a level, the instructions/title whatever it is that appears just before the levels starts disappears way too fast to read. i.e. level selection screen -> click on a level -> screen changes and some text appears but disappears too fast too read -> level begins

my system:
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+
    1Gb ram
    nForce2 mobo
    ATi Radeon 9700 pro
    Win XP Pro with SP2
    IE 6

Hope that helps

19. simonh

Indie Author

I just got a black screen with music playing in the background. Previous versions have worked fine.

20. svero

Well I really like the game. I think the java webstart stuff is horrible as well of course. The fact that so many people have trouble either downloading or running the game would concern me as well.