Stuck on my script

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Beebeebabie, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Beebeebabie

Beebeebabie New Member

Hi everyone,
    I followed a tutorial on creating a basic Item Database. I'm sure everything is working fine and I get the concept of creating new classes and whatnot
    Im using Unity 3-d and I followed the script 100%. But when I hit play none of the add buttons show up or anything. My list on my interface works and I can add elements but the acutally gameplay scene doesn't show up.

(This is the script I used)

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;

public class ItemManager:MonoBehaviour {

public List<Item> inventory = new List<Item>();

private string newItemName = "";
    private string newItemCost = "";
    private string newItemDescription = "";

void ONGUI()
    {

newItemName = GUILayout.TextField (newItemName);

newItemCost = GUILayout.TextField (newItemCost);

newItemDescription = GUILayout.TextField (newItemDescription);

if (GUILayout.Button("Add New Item"));
    {
    Item newItem = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<Item>();

newItem.name = newItemName;
    newItem.cost = System.Convert.ToInt32(newItemCost);
    newItem.description = newItemDescription;

inventory.Add(newItem);
    }

for(int i = 0; i <inventory.Count; i ++)
    {
    GUILayout.Label(inventory.name + " - " + inventory.description + " - " + inventory.cost);
    }
    }
    }

I have my Item script

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;

[System.Serializable]
    public class Item : ScriptableObject {

public int cost = 0;
    public string name ="";
    public string description = "";

}

as well. I'm not sure of Im missing something or just the bigger picture.

As in how well I know Unity, I understand the concepts of attaching scripts to objects in order to add it to the scene, and other basic things but not to much after that. still reading and learning but hoped someone could point me to the right direction! Thanks

2. jefferytitan

Original Member

I'm wondering if it's case sensitivity. In the documentation it's "OnGUI". You have all capitals. Unfortunately because it's just done through method naming rather than an interface or something, there's no compile error to let you know if you spell one wrong.

3. TimS

Original Member

You've got a semicolon at the end of your if(button)...

"if (GUILayout.Button("Add New Item"));"

So everything in there will run every frame without the button being pressed... Other than that, I dunno!