Stopping the flood of spam

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Sunshine, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Sunshine

Original Member

I have done a great job so far keeping my inbox clean of spam. However recently I have been getting two or three emails a day all on the same subject. They all come from diffrent addresses, each time a rich uncle [brother,banker you name it] has died and I have been left anywhere from 15 to 140 million dollars. Although the story and country are diffrent each time , it is the same setup.

It is on my yahoo account, I wonder if there is a way to make this stop?
    Is it possible to just turn off the account for a while and maybe they will think it is not a valid address and remove it from their list? :mad:

2. kerchen

Indie Author

Yahoo's spam filter seems to be pretty good at filtering out those kinds of messages. Do you have it turned on? I stopped using my Yahoo account about 6 months ago because of the volume of spam it was getting, but I check in on it every now and then just to see how well the filter is doing--it catches about 80% of the junk sent to that address.

3. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

2-3 emails per day? Wait until it's 2-3 thousand per day....

Anyway, yahoo's spam filter should be able to train to zap those emails :)

4. Sunshine

Original Member

Yes, i use the spam filter, I'm averaging about 80 messages sent to my bulk folder per day.

But these guys keep getting through, I even select all of them and then report spam, but they always come from a diffrent address! :mad:

I wish I could make it send a failure to deliver response back to the spammer.

5. Valen

Indie Author

That wouldn't help. The actual addresses you see are fake. Even if you could track it to the source, the email was probably relayed through an insecure SMTP server. A long time ago, I used spamcop.com to report spam to whoever would be able to do something about it (it scans the headers to figure out what site was used to send the spam). I used a template to send a semi-threatening email, and sometimes got a response like "chill out man, we do what we can to reduce the amount of spam that goes through our servers."