Steamworks

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by sillytuna, Jan 29, 2008.

1. sillytuna

Indie Author

From Valve: http://www.steamgames.com/steamworks/

2. OremLK

Indie Author

Wow, that's excellent. I had been hoping Valve would do something like this, and now they are.

3. ChrisP

Indie Author

Oooh. Interesting.

I'd personally shy away from *requiring* Steam for my games... but if this allows taking advantage of it if it's already installed, then there are some features in there that I'd definitely like to have.

4. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

"Ooh. Interesting" indeed!

Hmm... I wonder what that "coming soon" really means?

5. Bad Sector

Original Member

They just forgot the "Be afraid. Be very afraid." part :p.

6. Sybixsus

Original Member

Yep, I think is great. There's some very useful stuff in Steam, and if I can take advantage of it, I'd love to do so. As I think was previously stated, this is all providing there is a IsSteamInstalled() function to get us going.

7. Backov

Original Member

This seems to imply that Steam is going to be opening up to be a more general purpose publisher, which really interests me. Of the game delivery systems, Steam is by far the best currently.

8. cliffski

has anyone actually got a response to the requests for more info though?

9. OremLK

Indie Author

I was under the impression that it was going to more be access to multiplayer matchmaking, the patching service (though maybe you'll have to use your own bandwidth for that?), having your game in Steam profiles, voice over IP, DRM, and that sort of thing. But I could be wrong. I'd love it if Steam became a true "hardcore portal" actually, because I really want a way to reach that audience and make money off it.

10. Game Producer

Not here - yet.

11. defanual

Original Member

this announcement is good for who?

Hmm, isn't this announcement just for people already using or signed up to steam? Up to now I've not been able to find a link to actually using steam as a distribution system which lead me to believe it's one of those exclusivity gigs.

Is this announcement opening up the system to us rich and talented indies as hinted below?:confused:

12. joshg

joshg New Member

I think the lack of links to stuff is simply because it isn't available yet - this was just an initial announcement, not a release.

Everything I've seen sounds like it'll be free for anyone to use, no existing deals needed.

From the interviews, it sounds like their goal in this is explicitly to expand the userbase for Steam. So not much motivation for them to add an isSteamInstalled(). Also, I'm not sure how you could make optional use of the anti-piracy measures, since they work by excluding a small but vital bit of the game (the executable itself, I believe) from the game's install disc entirely. Then you connect to Steam, and in activating the game with your account you download the remaining files you need to run the game.

- josh g.

13. OremLK

Indie Author

But there's nothing preventing you from offering both a Steam version and a regular version, I'm sure. Which is probably what I would do.

14. ChrisP

Indie Author

Indeed. I'm not so interested in the piracy prevention aspect myself. More interested in the large user base and the social networking potential.

It may or may not be a good deal. We'll see.

15. ChrisP

Indie Author

Update: The Steamworks page has been updated and now actually contains some half-useful information.

Highlights:

16. Klaim

Original Member

Looks like a political move :D

17. Klaim

Original Member

Well there is not much new informations about the deal itself, like what is free, what is not and how all that is provided : softwares only (SDK + server app) ? provided server ? (they talk about free bandwidth so i guess they provide a server for at least some features) is there any limitation? etc.

Sure we'll have more informations before the end of the GDC.

18. ChrisP

Indie Author

I think it's all free; the "cost" is allowing Valve to use you to grow their online distribution platform. :) That's the impression I get from the website, anyway.

"Used by 15 million gamers. Now available to you for free."

"...no licensing fees and no charge for bandwidth..."

I guess Valve will be at GDC. Good opportunity to pester them for more info!

19. Nikster

Original Member

That's what they said in the Edge ( or Develop ) using it as a way to get everything on steam I guess, which is thier aim, for steam to be as common as windows itself, maybe.

20. mpdeveloper_B

mpdeveloper_B New Member

yep, i have a contact in valve that i email when i have questions similar to this, and a couple of weeks ago i asked, here's his responses:

does this answer any of your questions?

if anyone else has questions pertaining to steamworks i could email him ;)