Staying consistently positive.

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Jamie W, Jun 9, 2010.

1. mwtb

Original Member

It depends what you mean by a "positive attitude". I'd agree that you need to be able to maintain an underlying positive belief that your goals are achievable but I find that the kind of constantly bouncy "everything is great" projection that most people seem to mean is actually unhelpful in any scenario where the goal isn't trivial.

I have no indie games under my belt, but assuming they're like other self-driven projects I'd say it's more important to know yourself and your rhythms when it comes to getting work done than to try to force yourself to come out of bed sunny side up every day.

2. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

This isn't about what works for everyone, or what's important to everyone.

Skepticism and Pessimism have served me very nicely for many a year.

3. Nexic

Indie Author

I stay positive by just ignoring all negative comments. Works nicely.

4. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Agreed 100%.

It's easy for "positive attitude" to mean "sticking head in sand, and denial of any crap going on in your life"...

It's a tricky one, and no way do I have it sussed yet. But, it's like if you're stuck in the mud, and the wheel on your car is just spinning, and you're getting nowhere fast. You need to be cognizant of that fact, and undertand the dynamics and reality of your situation.

Thinking 'life is always going to be crap' ... is crap.

Thinking 'life is a bed of roses always wonderful and I'm off with the faries' ... is just as bad.

Accept and understand the nature of anything crap in your life, address it, and then, keep a consistent positive focus. That's more what I'm talking about.

If this indie game-dev nonsense doesn't work out for me, I can always get a job as Tony Robbins or something! :p

5. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

So was mine.

About artists- hopefully soon I'll have a ray of sunshine for people around here looking for someone reliable.

I totally agree with that perspective.

6. JarkkoL

JarkkoL New Member

I just have many things on my plate and shift to another task if the work on one starts to feel like crap. Just trying to leverage the benefits of being an indie where I have to do everything myself ;)

7. Sue

Sue New Member

That article is here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8339647.stm

In a quote from it: Professor Forgas said: "Whereas positive mood seems to promote creativity, flexibility, co-operation and reliance on mental shortcuts, negative moods trigger more attentive, careful thinking, paying greater attention to the external world."

So if you want to be creative or work as part of a team you need to be positive. His description of the traits promoted by negative thinking sounds like you become more of a nit picking pedant, rather than anything useful. I think Prof Forgas has probably only done this research to justify his own grumpiness.

8. Grey Alien

Indie Author

I'm with Sue in that the prof is finding the evidence to suit his theory ;-)

I've seen the power of positive thinking and the power of negative thinking (the power to screw things up) and I'll stick with positive thanks.

9. hippocoder

Indie Author

Yeah like freud says we're all pervs and slept with his own sister, I think that pretty much sums him up not me. But going wildly off track now :)

10. Artinum

Original Member

I sometimes find it hard to stay positive. Some days you just need to let it all go to cack and to hell with it. I find keeping busy - and with a variety of things, not just your main project - can stave off the worst of the doldrums. And if I've become too idle, I try to read something inspirational.

Currently I am:
    * Working in my full time "normal" job.
    * Proofreading
    * Launching a new press release writing service (there's another thread on that somewhere round here)
    * Reviewing games for Bytten
    * Experimenting with writing my own music (still early days!)
    * I have a couple of novels to get on with.
    * All the usual housework, cooking and so on.
    * Pandering to the whims of the cat!

Sometimes I wonder how I find time to sleep...

11. Acord

Acord New Member

Despite having just put down a 3+ year game development project with an axe, I'm feeling pretty positive! I think the important part is to be thankful for the good things in your life - friends, family, etcetera.

That, and to see failure as something that can be learned from instead of a stamp on your forehead that everyone can see.

The really important part not to give up, and you MUST MUST MUST learn as much as you can from your failures.

It's just so easy to concentrate on what you don't have that you forget about what you do have.

12. SteveZ

Indie Author

Sometimes it takes failures to make it out ok. I embraced negative thinking and use it as fuel to create something better out of life.

3 years ago I hit bottom with the release of Teddy Tavern - a complete flop. At that time I lived in a studio with 2 months rent left. The only thing I owned then was a mattress, chair, foldout table, a few utensils and an aging laptop.

Completely negative about everything then, but by having nothing becomes liberating to do anything. It was the biggest wakeup call. After 3 years and plenty of sleepless nights later, finally can say things are smooth sailing.

-Steve Z.

13. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

I think this is a key thing. Don't beat yourself up too much about when you fail, because its likely you will fail often. The act of trying something sets you up to potentially fail. The main thing is to (as you say) keep trying and (as you also say) keep learning from the failures.

It would just be nice to fail less often :)

14. Stefan Maton

Original Member

Recently I started the "set easy weekly targets and hit them" motivation structure. Why that? Well, I've been working for 13+ years in game development and the last several years, I've been working mostly outside the gaming industry. I tried working on my own projects in my spare time, but failed due to the amount of work I had to do in my day to day job (200+ hours/month). Since 2 or 3 month I had to reduce the working hours and I decided to work again on a project I have in mind since almost 10 years.

Now, I must say, I'm more a technical guy. I have developed technology for almost all companies I have worked for, doing R&D, working on stuff others would use to create games. I embraced the indie path several times but always got stuck in my "techie" style, trying to implement the tech I need myself. Honestly, that was the worst thing I could do. While I was able to learn new tech and be on top on that matter, I failed at working on my game.

For my new project, I use Unity. And honestly, I give a sh** about having the latest technology. It's about the game and not doing my own tech helps to actually focus on the game itself. Using a tech that gives "instant" feedback about what you're doing is really beneficial. Heck, even my wife started looking over my shoulder telling me that my game looks great (and she never really showed interest in my work).

So, my weekly targets consists of determining each week-end what I would like to see in my game in the end of the week. I.e. last weeks target was to have a prototype implementation of a simple shell and explosions in my game (shameless plug). This weeks target is to improve the camera behavior and the turret targeting behavior.

Seeing the progress in the game really boosts the motivation. I also try to do something related to my game every day. Even if I do not have much time due to my day to day work, I still do *something*. That might go from looking at Gfx providers to determine which assets might fit into my game to writing an email to a royalty free sound effects provider. Don't break the daily working chain :) (Chain source)

Edit: Forgot: Don't do too much different things in the same time. Commit to one project. Having more than one project will harm motivation because you get the feeling of not advancing in any of them.

And last but not least: Have fun :)

15. Acord

Acord New Member

I've been hacking around in Unity lately myself - good stuff. It's going to take a bit to wrap my head around the logic needed for a full game though.

What was I watching when I did this one?
    http://i49.tinypic.com/1zfmmnb.jpg

16. Grey Alien

Indie Author

SteveZ: Fab story man! Glad things turned around for you.

17. JoKa

Indie Author

SteveZ: no need to have dead links to Teddy and Bruce in your sig ;)

18. Artinum

Original Member

Cactus Bruce is dead? NOOOOO!!!

19. SteveZ

Indie Author

@ Jake: Thanks!
    @ Joka: Fixed!

Cactus Bruce has never been more alive! In fact, due to the recent trend of Premium Games, I've decided to create one for this little gem as well.

[​IMG]

:)

20. Artinum

Original Member

Phew! Definitely one of my stranger Bytten reviews, that one, though indie games have a habit of throwing up far weirder offerings than the commercial sector ever could and I have played stranger games than this (as my Ernie awards can testify).