Staying consistently positive.

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Jamie W, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

This is something that I'm coming to realise more and more, is absolutely required for success, in anything...

I'm talking about staying consistently positive, and it's especially important, when things are not going well.

Remember around 2 years ago, when I released Qwak PC, and it didn't sell in anything like the numbers I'd anticipated? I felt so bad, dissapointed, and then there was my bitching and moaning, and general cynical 'life's a bitch' outlook! (which I'm sure came across on one or two threads on here at that time).

Did any of that help me? No way!

Does that kind of reaction ring any bells with any of you guys?

2. Bad Sector

Original Member

Did you sold anything? If so that's better than what i got with Nikwi, despite the favorable comments from people :).

You still had some positives, i've made a bunch of games and a lot of tech which i know many people do use, but i still can't live from my own stuff - or even just pay some of my bills.

So when things start going negative, just think that there is someone in a worse position that you.

Dunno how healthy that is, but it works :p

3. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes that helps for sure. I remember when I made USM1 in 2003 with blitzbasic thinking to sell 50k copies, and instead sold 10 the first month (still $250 so not too bad as first try).
    I wasted 2-3 months complaining, then I learned the lesson: use the time you'd waste complaining to start a new game as soon as you finish one :)

4. princec

Indie Author

Some of the old-timers around here might remember The Game That Should Not Be Named, which I will now utter again (Alien Flux). Happy times.

We're still nowhere but I feel as if we're heading in the right direction now. It's taken a lot longer than most for us to find our feet because we're weird, stubborn, artistes, and resolutely part-time and strapped for cash.

I'm glad we didn't fart about trying to batter that game into shape for too long though. In the end I think it made about $5k.

Cas :)

#4 princec, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  5. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Lol I remember that game and how you were pissed in forums. That was really long-time ago. We're getting old! :eek:

6. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

When I start to feel like crap, I take a time out.

Just sold my bike (Yamaha R6) which I would take out for a ride, and get my brain in check but I'm saving for a Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T 2.5l Turbo (yerp, I'm a bike/car nut).

I use to own one, and no matter what was going on I'd take it for a drive and come back with my head in the right place and a smile on my face. Though I now have my lady, and when I am feeling down I go bother her to cheer me up =)

All I have so far are your basics down, created non-released games to learn how to code and what libs suit me best. I have no ideas of instant fame and pots of gold or that. I found that doing my business subjects at uni and talking to other business owners who'd come to uni to learn why their business failed has taught me to keep my "dreams" in check.

Everybody has their down moments, but it's how you deal that counts in the end..... even if it means a nasty speeding fine =\

7. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

I just tested Cas' unnamed game, which didn't run on OSX10.6.2. Gutted! I'll never know what I was missing...

Deffo with you Jack, on the start a new game thing. Also, worth saying, how important it is to continually refine and improve your PR activity, or hire a professional to help with that. That's something I really need to look in to more, esp. with being on the AppStore, I think marketing can break or make you.

8. hippocoder

Indie Author

I remember alien flux, I thought it was the cool indie thing at the time and thought about ripping it off.

Cas has that effect on me more than anyone else. I think its because I actually like those kinds of games and grew up on a c64.

As for keeping the motivation high, this is a tricky one, you will always get a slump after the bubble bursts. The trick is not to think about the fast cars and sunny holidays and hot women until it actually happens.

9. HMAudio

HMAudio New Member

As a composer my mood has a lot of direct influence into my art. Sometimes it's a bit of a pain needing to compose a dark and somber piece when I am feeling ecstatic, and vice verse. If it were a term it would be method-composing, I suppose!

However when it comes to everything else in life, you can either be sad or happy. You can be upset it's winter and cold, hoping for summer, then when summer comes be upset it's so hot, hoping for winter. Why bother? Strive to enjoy the moment, even if it's not perfect.

10. andrew

andrew New Member

Man, It's hard sometimes. I've made mid-5 figures from Flash, but it was never was quite enough income to live off of, and I kept having to go back to depressing contract work. Now I'm going "all in" again, working full time on a Facebook game, and I really hope it pans out. It's difficult to stay positive when you have no idea whether people are going to find idea X fun (or much less pay for it!), you just have to keep coding.

Paul Graham (of Y Combinator fame) has written some really interesting essays about what it takes to make it in a startup biz, I particularly like this one on "determination". I'm starting to think he's right, to get a game done just takes sheer grit sometimes, when everyone looks at your unfinished product and goes "meh", when you spend late nights grinding through server bugs, when your 4th artist flakes out on you...

- andrew

11. hippocoder

Indie Author

Talking of artists, mine just flaked out on me. I am an artist myself but thats not the point: its serious burnout when you have to do both art and code. Since our art styles are so different it looks like I might as well do it all again from scratch.

Just got to dust yourself down and get back on the bike. And dream of those beaches and hot sun, and cool waves when you've made millions... :D

12. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

I come here to redirect my frustrations and mockery upon unsuspecting victims. Elsewhere I'm as happy as a clam.

But yes. If you're not happy/excited/positive about something, it wont get done.

13. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

Actually biggest thing that was holding me back was finding a good artist (partner in crime) who is willing to deal with me saying "that doesn't meet my standards" or can handle doing the hard yarns.

My first step was my sister, she's currently in uni studying design and is good at art, but she doesn't seem motivated to anything more than her uni work. I offered cash for a Logo for my company... had contract draw up and nothing....

I offered it to my brother who loves the idea of working on games (he plays the same ones I do, enjoys sci fi, fast cars, playing pranks) and has a interest to art. He is enjoying it and wants to learn more and more. He'd never touched a 3d modeller last december and now he's modelling well, and understands a lot of the 3d math behind it so he can talk to me.

We are both newbies compared to most on these boards, but I have to admit without him trying to find a artist who really wants to do it would be a pain in the ass no matter how skilled I was.

I am just lucky it is my brother, if it was somebody else it would be a lot harder.

14. hippocoder

Indie Author

Mine was my brother.

15. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

!!! ummm... crap!

Can't help there =(

16. Mattias Gustavsson

Original Member

Didn't that one have a problem with the controls though?

:)

17. Wrote A Game or Two

Wrote A Game or Two New Member

Just remember, when you've had a hard, difficult, disappointing and frustrating day, the most important thing to keep in mind is this:

THERE'S ANOTHER ONE COMIN' TOMORROW!!

:D

I *didn't* have high expectations for my first game, and still came away disappointed in the sales figures, but even though I grew to absolutely HATE that game by the time it was all done, it solidified for me that making games is what I want to do with my life, and I'm more determined than ever now to get out of this cubicle and into full time game development. You can't put a price tag on that.

Our next game will be a huge smash that makes us millionaires anyway so it's all good.

OK, maybe not. But what the hell, it's fun to dream. :)

What keeps me upbeat and positive is heavy doses of humor and having fun with my kids. Money is nice to have, but it isn't everything. Remember that, and you'll be fine. Good luck! Let us know if you strike it rich so we can be jealous and gripe about it behind your back.

18. Grey Alien

Indie Author

I think it's very hard to be consistently positive. Some days you just aren't, and that's OK, it's normal. But there are things you can do to switch into a positive mood. I totally agree that a positive attitude (combined with hard work and smart thinking) is required for success.

19. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

There's a news peice on the BBC somewhere I read recently that being grumpy is good for you. Something about being able to focus your attention a bit more when youre in a slightly bad mood (obviously once you get past a certain point that just gets debilitating).

Life is crap. Then you die. So why not do as much mad **** while you have the chance.

20. Pogacha

Original Member

A kick in the back can be seen as two things: a pain in the ass or a little help to advance a couple of steps.

How much psicological energy you need to eat your frustration and do it better the next time as many times as needed to success ... for me it only depends on how much do you have outside the imaginary world you are living in.