Starting a game in 3d with no skills in modeling?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by EvolSuperx, Nov 25, 2016.

1. EvolSuperx

EvolSuperx New Member

Hello, folks. I want to move on to Unity and the UI of Unity is not much of a problem for me. My main problem is that i really want be able to design any levels easily since I have no skills with any 3d programs like Blender and I am not really sure what to do. Right now I want to try to make a simple FPS, so any useful advice?

2. Topemu

Topemu New Member

Mmmhh you'll prettymuch have to get all your models from free model sites like turbosquid.com
    google free 3d model download and theres about half a dozen useful sites. just search for free models on them.
    Also the levels are really easy to make, its just shaping terrain up and down and putting down boxes for walls and stuff.
    won't be any masterpiece but it's doable.

3. Crichton333

Crichton333 New Member

Why not just make the levels inside Unity, there are tons of tools on the Asset store for that. Also as posted above there are sites with free models.

4. Topemu

Topemu New Member

you can also practice with sketchup. easiest 3d program to use ever.

5. Phillips Game Design

I highly recommend looking into This Course if you plan to be a 1 person indie developer. Its amazing, and teaches you to use Blender even if you have no knowledge of it whatsoever. Ben and Michael are amazing teachers. Its normally $195 course and on sale now for $19 with lifetime access.

Casszune likes this.
  6. 3ph0r

do the level design in unity, use websites for free 3d models or you can look around in the unity asset store(probably the easier way) for some free models but if you can pay then you'll have more choice.

the other option is to team up with a freelance artist but 95% of them will only work for money

7. EvolSuperx

EvolSuperx New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided right now to just try to learn Blender so I could make models myself, hopefully.

8. Topemu

Topemu New Member

actually there are a lot of people that will work for free.

9. Kinshasa

Kinshasa New Member

Topemu is right, there's plenty of newbie and veteran modelers out there, who would love to work with someone who can make their models come to life in a game. I've been on a few projects and never seen a dime for it, I'm doing it because of the Frankenstein syndrome. It would literally take me a few hours to make an arena or map for FPS, no textures - then you can start making it pretty and work on the tactical layout later. Learning Blender, Max or Maya from 0 experience is not something you do in a few days, depending on your needs, you're looking at a few months just practicing the workflow and following various rules that game engines require.

Just find someone who's strong suit is exactly that!

10. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

Please don't make people work for free as Kinshasa suggests. It devalues our trade. Anyway it's best if you gain some experience before having someone work for you. That way you can have a better idea of what you need and give better instructions to your collaborator.

Good luck.

11. Kinshasa

Kinshasa New Member

So if someone has maybe 3 months worth of experience with modeling and wants to go on to gain experience in working with a team to make games, they should expect to get paid? Not really sure where you're going with this? The trade was devalued a long time ago when the animators in India started working for $1/h, so that's long gone. People have even started to give a crap about the fact that cheaper produced models also look like garbage. With that said, I would rather work for free on a project that seems to go somewhere, but I am definitely not so delusional that I walk into every project expecting to make a living from it. 1. I'm just not that good. 2. I enjoy doing it, so if it pays off in the end, it's a bonus.

The market is simply too flooded with literally thousands of people who can make models, with an equally tiny elite that can make those models breathtaking, but they also make good money.

Does that make sense?

12. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

@Kinshasa : I know, you are right. As long as you do it for fun that's OK. If one is serious about the trade though, it should be avoided.