Starting a dream.

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by xanderholland, Mar 15, 2017.

1. xanderholland

xanderholland New Member

Hello, ever since I graduated from art school I noticed something about the video game industry. They don't like my work. Which makes my track to becoming a creative director difficult. So I wanted start a small team of individuals who want to get more experience and have fun making weird games. The first project I had in mind is a simple designed mobile game to help bring in a bit of money which means this is not a paid gig :(.

I would have profit sharing, but some commitment it needed. If you're interested please send me a message and we can discuss this further.

Thanks.
    Xander

2. AlbShadoW

AlbShadoW New Member

Im interested to know your knownledge? What is your future plans 3D games?

3. xanderholland

xanderholland New Member

3D, 2D, experimental stuff as well.

4. AlbShadoW

AlbShadoW New Member

Sounds great! Good luck!

5. FreeFly

FreeFly New Member

[QUOTE="xanderholland, post: 317609, member: 446320" So I wanted start a small team of individuals who want to get more experience and have fun making weird games. The first project I had in mind is a simple designed mobile game to help bring in a bit of money which means this is not a paid gig :(.

I would have profit sharing, but some commitment it needed. If you're interested please send me a message and we can discuss this further.[/QUOTE]

From my experience, it's hard to get really committed on something which is not your proper idea. If you really want a team to be motivated, you need to make them feel like their opinion counts in the overall project. Offering to share profits while not even saying what the project is about won't make anyone interested.
    If you want my suggestion (and I underline, suggestion, it's not a critique) try to gather people before to put something on the table, build the idea all together, you'll see that everyone will be more motivated than ever :)

6. Symbolize | Caleb

Symbolize | Caleb New Member

I'm a composer. You send me shots of the game and/ or videos of what you're working on and I'll see if there's some music that can go good with it.

7. Kinshasa

Kinshasa New Member

I have to expand on what seems to be the direction FreeFly is going:

Your comments on the negative experience you have had with others is really not a concern or something people are interested in. Think about this when you write: "Is it negatively loaded?", in this case the answer is yes. We all and I underline ALL have bad experience with all kinds of things in life, sharing it with random strangers is not socially prosperous, nor will it help you to bait pity out of others.

Now that we got that out of the way. Start working. You have an art degree? Start doing art. Start showing us where your ideas are different from other peoples. Work out well-structured -almost essays- on what this game is, where it takes the player. Make mockups of the interface and the graphics. This is the golden egg for anyone joining your project. If they can visualize where it's going and they can tell that there's passion and willingness to work tirelessly on something that might not pay a dime, you will have a winner. After all, we're all here to join in on making games, even saying: "I wanna make a mobile game", is mute and a waste of keyboard longevity. You might be doing it to "protect" your oh-so-original ideas, but let me tell you, we're kind of past that. Yeah, sure, some groups, very few, might be in here to steal ideas, but seriously, that's not why people are here. Not posting anything but a few phrases, seems lazy and not very serious. As an artist myself, it's crucial that my direct superior has the vocabulary to express the sort of mood, style or life he wants to have in his graphics, it might be a personal thing, but I can't deliver what you want, if you are unable to convey what you're looking for, I bet others can relate.

Up next is what you will do with this fragment of text that I spent more valued time writing, opposed to what you wanted to start a company on:
    It's critique. It might even seem to be a direct attack on you. You can get pissed about it, not have a single thing stick and waste your time. Or you can try to elevate above it and see the points of what I'm saying, learn from it, even if it's just some of it. Expand your perspective and grow from it.

Thanks.

Osmosis D. Jones likes this.
  8. Jaap

Jaap New Member

When I had to graduate from my study of classical music I found myself in a split as well. My music and my ideas for working with all art elements (theater, dance, animation) etc was then (was in 2002) not really well accepted. For the modern classical music scene I was too "commercial" sounding and for the commercial world I was too experimental.
    What I can advise is to start learning who you are and what you want. In the end there are always like minded people. In the end I managed to setup a music theater productions which had some nice performances. It took me a lot of blood sweat and tears, but I managed it. I also discovered who I was as composer and what I wanted to be and achieve.