Starchon i18 Released! - Feedback Request.

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Sean Doherty, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Sean Doherty

Original Member

2006.4.02 - Starchon i18 Released!
    Iteration 18 of Starchon is available for download.

At this point, I am mostly focused on game play enhancements, likes, and dislikes.

Screen shots:

http://www.FreelanceGames.com/Files/SC18-b.png
    http://www.FreelanceGames.com/Files/SC18-c.png
    http://www.FreelanceGames.com/Files/SC18-d.png

Download:

http://www.FreelanceGames.com/Files/Starchon_i18_Setup.exe

Controls:

Please select input device from the Option Menu (default Mouse).

Mouse Controls:

- Fire "selected" Energy Weapons - Left Mouse Button
    - Fire "selected" Missile - Middle Mouse Button
    - Trust - Right Mouse Button or "W" key
    - Direction - Mouse to Payers Avatar Vector
    - Select Ice Blaster - "1" key
    - Select Particle Blaster - "2" key
    - Select Laser - "3" key (auto locks and only fires at Starship when in range;
    not the Sentinel)
    - Select Laser Blaster - "4" key
    - Select Heat Seeking Missile "6"
    - Select Homing Missile "7"

Keyboard Controls:

- Fire - Right Control Key
    - Rotate Counter Clockwise - A or Left Arrow Key
    - Rotate Clockwise - D or Right Arrow Key
    - Thrust - W or Up Arrow Key

Keyboard & Mouse Controls

- Toggle Information - I
    - Alter Alpha Layer One - F1
    - Alter Alpha Layer Two - F2
    - Alter Alpha Layer Three - F3
    - Blend Mode Layer One - F4
    - Blend Mode Layer Two - F5
    - Blend Mode Layer Three - F6
    - Missile Spin Speed - F7
    - Alter Slipstream Size - F8
    - Alter Sound Effects Mode - F9

I would love some feedback on how to make the game better!

2. Sean Doherty

Original Member

I had some feedback that some people don't like the sparks being generated when an starship is hit and hit point remain. Also, the explosion might need to be tweaked?

What do you think?

3. sulaiman

Original Member

I didn't mind the sparks. You could make them a different color than the ship explosion to differenciate the two. I couldn't get confortable with the controls. That may be because I didn't play that long. Also the end of level detection seems off. Sometimes when I destroyed all 3 enemies on level 1, nothing would happen and I'd continue to float in space.

Graphics
    Sub-menu GUI
    Enemies nice and hard

Dislikes:
    Controls(keyboard and mouse)
    Phones home for hiscores without permission
    Enemy shields regenerate
    Buttons for main menu. Can't you just use the same GUI type for the options menu in the main menu?

4. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Just a few quick things, you start the game with a wepon selection screen. I felt like I was making really uninformed decisions. I didn't know what the difference was between thte different weapons. See clash'n'slash for a more informative way to do the shop.

Also, is it really good to have people begin with customization even when the have no clue about the game? It's not clear what you want until you've at least flown. It was also really unclear as to what weapon I was using and how to switch it. I liked the mouse control to a certian extent, it was different but I could get used to it. Just need a mouse type way to select the weapon, a visual HUD or something with mouseover text when you hovered over the other weapons.

Overall I liked the style, theme, music etc. I think it has potential.

5. Nexic

Indie Author

Seeing this is making want to do Desperate Space 2 ^.^

It really needs some mission briefings or something to let you know what you're doing, it felt kinda aimless really. The player ship moves a little slower than I'd like. I also agree with Dan in that when seeing the upgrade screen I had no idea what I was buying, or even how to buy them. You need to have some text explaining what to do whether it's in a popup window or on the actual upgrade screen itself. I'd also suggest not letting the player upgrade until after they have done the first missions - this is because when people try a game for the first time they want to get into the action right away, putting this up when they don't really understand it is probably just going to annoy people.

I think overall it just needs more polish.

6. Sean Doherty

Original Member

Questions about the likes:

1) What do you mean by sub-menu GUI? Which menu do you mean?

Questions about dislikes:

1) I assume you didn't like using they keyboard to select the weapon? If so, how can I get around this; you have to be able to select both you primary energy weapon and your missile?

2) I am using the highscore module from IndiePath; nothing is passed except the name of the user, level, game name, and IP of the user. Would you have an issue with this if I added it to the terms and conditions of the game?

3) What is the reason you don't like the enemies shields recharging? I wonder if more people prefer the recharge or not?

4) Can you explain what you mean about using the GUI from the options menu? Other people have metioned hating the options menu.

Thanks

7. sulaiman

Original Member

1a. By sub-menu GUI, I mean the look/feel of the Option and Hi-Scores menus.1b. Options menu

Actually I was talking about the mouse control scheme in general. But now I'm warming up to it nicely.
    I didn't even know you could switch main lasers:) The keyboard works fine for me to switch 'em.
    My firewall came up when the game tried to update the hi-scores. This might be scary for some users. Maybe a window could come up and say "Accessing online scoring system" with a little file transfer icon. Who reads EULAs?
    Personal choice. Some people like the additional challenge of regen. Others might be annoyed to have enemies hanging around with shields regenerating. It does make sense for the enemies to have the same abilities as you.
    I mean that I liked the look and fill of the widgets you used in the option menu. I was wondering why you didn't use the same(button look) for the main menu. I guess I'm in the minority:)

8. Sean Doherty

Original Member

Nexic,

Starchon was actually based on Star Castle. However, I did base some of the game play and the controls on both Desperate Space and Xeno Assault II. That said, I'm designing the starship speed to be slower than Desperate Space. Although, I might decide to increase the starship speed in a later iteration.

The upgrade screen is really just a draft at this point. I'm still haven't finalized all the weapons and upgrades so it hard to design the screen. That said, I am planning to fully explain all the weapons; including statistics for each weapon. Also, the upgrade screen will not appear in the first level if everything goes as planned.

Today is really the first day that I can say I have had any real direction in the area of back story and scenarios. If I can carry my idea forward, Starchon should be quite different from Desperate Space.

This is really the first shareware game that I will have released since my DOS programming days in 1995. Hopefully, I can sell a couple of copies? Either way, I have learned a lot throughout this project.

Thanks