Starbucks to grow brand by "going Indie"

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by wazoo, Jul 20, 2009.

1. wazoo

Original Member

2. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

I think one of the side-effects of the whole breakdown of the traditional "me me me" culture we've been in for the last decade or two, is the concept of "original" or "natural". Almost all of the marketing I've spotted of late has been to do with showing off how each product matches those ideals of being genuine and original and such.

To me, its not a bad move, if the thing being marketed really actually IS the genuine thing and not just something made up to imitate it in a shallow way.

Its like faux antique furniture made up to look distressed because that is how old furniture looks, only its completely and utterly fake.

In terms of indies, the reason why I find it interesting is that we might see a bit more attention paid to people who create original and unique products with similar values, if they can get that across to the buyer. It might help ride that wave of nostalgia, or rather the drive to want something of real value rather than something temporary.

3. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Starbucks, my arse! :D

4. zoombapup

Erm, I'm trying to imagine what Starbucking an arse would entail, but its upsetting me :)

5. Ordonator

Ordonator New Member

Ha. Since the quality of Starbucks has continue to decline year after year, they're blending in with the rest of the cheap fast food joints littering the streets. It's no surprise that they've lost so much business to McDonald's recently. They're afraid that they'll be the ones on the outside looking in eventually.

It's too bad that they have to resort to cheap marketing ploys. I used to really like Starbucks. Here's a piece of free advice, if they want more customers, they should really work on restoring the quality of their coffee and checking the attitudes of their employees.

6. CousinGilgamesh

CousinGilgamesh New Member

It's funny that Starbucks is trying to revisit the culture of a coffeehouse unadulterated by... itself!

As zoombapup mentioned, it could potentially create a kind of consumer culture that is friendlier to indies, and we all know that Starbucks' multimillion dollar marketing enterprise has a lot more power over the collective unconscious than the two nickles in my pocket. Maybe they're inadvertently doing us a favor. :)

7. Pyabo

Original Member

God this is such a ridiculously bad idea... isn't the ONE thing that Starbucks actually has going for it the brand?

The whole idea just sort of churns my stomach to begin with. I can see this turning into one of those multi-million dollar fiascos that CEOs get ousted for and inevitably look obviously stupid in hindsight.

8. zoombapup

Pyabo: Looking at it from another perspective, they are starting a new brand with a new brand identity. As long as they dont brand it as a starbucks thing, then as long as the new brand works, they will be in a better position.

I think it WILL work, because of the move away from "fast = greed" to "slow = authentic". There's a lot of money to be made in trying to brand yourself as green, authentic, home made, natural, friendly etc. Which is why every brand in the world is trying to do that right now. Most of them really suck at it.

But it takes quite a savvy consumer (ie. one who has read books on marketing and positioning) to really understand the manipulation. So I think it will work for starbucks, because they do have a certain skill at brand manipulation.