STAIRS Run - New game needs feedback :)

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by alexgrigoras, May 11, 2017.

1. alexgrigoras

alexgrigoras New Member

Dear friends,

This community basically rules everything :D Here is where I've met the coolest game addicts and people who are willing to work with me on building a dream.

First of all, I would like to THANK everyone who I've worked with and created some amazing games. Now I'm on a new road with my man Max (Zeno is the username here) and we're building another cool game, STAIRS Run.

This amazing man offered to code the game and translate my vision into reality. I cannot thank Zeno enough :)

Secondly, PLEASE, do not hesitate to hit him up on his PM for collabs, I strongly recommend the dude as a crazy talented programmer. He's still learning a lot, but has a lion heart.

We have decided to blast the game in Unity and here's out first game dev log:

You can subscribe to my youtube channel in order to stay updated with our latest game dev logs or on facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/alexgrigorasgames

So, here is a short description of the game:

Stairs Run is a never-ending arcade game. The player controls a character (a girl) who runs down stairs. The player has to tap the screen in order to make the character jump over the bad stairs so that he/she can keep the life on level.

In order to make the highest score, the player has to gather as many bonuses (plants, extras in the circles etc.) as possible. The speed of the girl running will increase at certain points in the game so that the player will never get bored.

Now, we really need some harsh critique :) Please, let us know all things you like, all things you don't like and all things you would change or do better.

Thank you very much, INDIEGAMER community, for all your AMAZING support and big LOVE!

I cannot wait for our next game dev log video with more progress.

CHEERS!

2. alexgrigoras

alexgrigoras New Member

Dear friends,

I'm back with the 2nd dev log. I hope I get some harsh feedback here because that is really important for us. Please, let us know what you like and what you don't.

We've worked and managed to refine the walking, added more speed for the start and, after clearing 30 good (orange) stairs, the girl gets 2x speed.

Here is the video:

We are going to implement special powers next and another surprise so BIG THANKS for all the great support!

See you next time :)

3. Toskigi

Toskigi New Member

Hey there! You wanted some feedback, so here's what I got just from seeing the video. The game looks like it could easily get pretty stale, considering it's just a girl zigzagging down some stairs. Why not make the path of the stairs non-repetitive, have slopes or something to add an extra mechanic, and you know...not as dull. From the video, it looks like there's a huge amount of "walkable" stairs, where the "bad" stairs are hardly a thing. I see that the girl speeds up , however it really does not look like it would be much of a challenge at all, and not something someone may want to repeat again (slow process it seems) if they lose after it finally speeds up.

Is there any sound in the game at all even? Any music? Anything to help ease the zigzagging pattern of grey and orange stairs?

It looks like this could definitely be worked on a lot more, especially since you stated you are using Unity for this... "We have decided to blast the game in Unity"

Anyway, that's about all I got at the moment. Hope this it he kind of critique you needed/wanted.

4. alexgrigoras

alexgrigoras New Member

Hey Toskigi,

THANK YOU so much for the reply! You awesome :D

I don't agree with you on this one: "The game looks like it could easily get pretty stale, considering it's just a girl zigzagging down some stairs. Why not make the path of the stairs non-repetitive, have slopes or something to add an extra mechanic, and you know...not as dull. From the video, it looks like there's a huge amount of "walkable" stairs, where the "bad" stairs are hardly a thing. I see that the girl speeds up , however it really does not look like it would be much of a challenge at all, and not something someone may want to repeat again (slow process it seems) if they lose after it finally speeds up."

The stairs are repetitive because this is the game trademark. I get what you say about slopes and diversity, but not on the stairs. This element need to be repetitive in order to keep the game in one register and not make a "salad" kind of game.

You think that the game is dull and not challenging.. wait until you hit max speed and try to do this at the same time: - clear all good stairs; - collect all talismans to open new stages; - keep your health bar over 50% and collect the ball lights for protection... Not so dull any more :D

Yes, we will have music for effects and a main soundtrack. This is still a very early stage we're at, this game will be developed over a period of time and we will surely add diversity and other cool stuff :D

Someone else, on another forum, suggested that we add spikes to the bad stairs which is very relevant and cool to add to the game :)

In the end, this game will be worked on a lot more and thought around your suggestions and guidance as well.

BIG UP for you, my friend! And another BIG THANKS for your reply!