Spiderweb permanently lowering prices

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Jack Norton, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Very interesting. I lowered all my casual game prices back when Reflexive was bought by Amazon and they dropped all the prices to $9.95 or less. Then BFG started the whole $6.99 thing, although they are trying to raise the price of games again with Collector's Editions. I sell mine at $9.95 for newer games and $6.95 for older ones. My games aren't niche so this made sense back then but it's interesting to see Jeff caving (slightly) to the public perception of what an indie game should cost due to Steam and of course iOS.

2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Even selling direct, I have the impression that many people prefer to get the game sooner even if is split in two parts than wait 6+ months for the "bigger full game". Then of course if you can make a big game in 2-3 months, that's a different story :D

And just to be clear I think there's an abyss of difference between the casual portals "all games prices must be the same" and hardcore portals like Steam. Steam might tell you to sell the game at $10, but at least you have varied pricing. I think setting a standard price for all games is totally devaluating for games (like saying all games are worth the same, be it a match3, a RPG or an adventure game).

3. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Yes good point Jack, different pricing for games instead of a generic $6.99 (or $0.99 on iOS) is a good thing. To be fair the iOs does have different price points.

4. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes iOS allows at least to set your own prices, which is a strong point :)
    While I don't have any big data to draw conclusions, I also personally think that varied pricing would generate more revenues for portals. Like a match3 might earn more at $3, while an adventure game might do better at $9.99, and so on.

5. papillon

Indie Author

Pricing (almost) everything the same does allow them to handle subscription programs more easily, though, which has been a decent draw for BFG. Of course, since IIRC they have already gotten the idea of having the premium games which cost two credits instead of one, that concept *could* be expanded.

6. Davaris

Original Member

Problem is players don't understand or care, that some games are more difficult to make than others. All they care about is if they look good and are fun. So I don't know how well that would work in practice.

3D shooter makers used to rant and rave about how technically superior their games were to all others, and used that as their selling point. It worked because you could see the difference between cutting edge and out of date shooters. So perhaps promoting the technology that drives RPGs and adventure games could achieve the same effect?

7. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

It's more about, you play a HOG, you play for 2-3 hours, you play a RPG, you play for 40h... and people cut their games in parts so their 40h RPGs can be sold like 4 different games of 10h on portals. The problem would be less blatant if it was possible to have longer games at a higher price.

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes what Indinera said. Maybe for most casual players doesn't matter, but for niche/hardcore, the game length is one of the most interesting factors to influence the purchase. Often you see phrases like "it was short, but for only $6.99 can't complain". Now seems that even if your game has 50h of gameplay it should cost max $9.99, so what is in effect happening is that devs are cutting the games in smaller parts (if they can do it) or simply making games with less content, otherwise they just lose money or taking big risks.

9. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

Well I wish portals would leave the door open for *some* games at $19.99 that are not just Editor Collection.
    I've never put my game Asguaard on portals (except those that allow you to put the price you want, like GameStop) because of that. I could have cut Asguaard in parts (many people have in fact suggested it to me) but it felt like butchery so I did not.