Spam, and done.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Applewood, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I think I just unsubscribed from the last post I'd forgotten about having joined a year ago.

I'm tired of getting the email alerts with a picture of a dick thrust into some manky arsehole over and over. In truth, I'm not sure how that's meant to help indies create good business, but each to their own.

So that's me done. The people "running" this forum don't care and neither do I. It was fun and I consider a lot of the people I met on here as genuine friends. My email's in my sig if anyone wants to get in touch. Or you can join my forum that has no spam. In fact the only asshole you'll see there is probably me.

2. Desktop Gaming

Couldn't agree more. Don't think I've ever seen such a big site fall from grace like this one has.

I'm only still here in the vain hope that somebody is going to sort it out. Realistically, though, they aren't, are they? Which is sad really.

3. jcottier

jcottier New Member

I've heard that one of the member was actually in touch with the owners... so may be there is hope. This site was a great way to network with people but like everyone else I'm checking it less and less.

JC

4. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Awsome :) how irronic

Jc

5. Desktop Gaming

isn't it just.

6. Desktop Gaming

Just checked the WHOIS database - seems it's registered to Svero now (was it always? Thought it was Mike Boeh) and the domain name has been extended for another year - that was updated just today.

Odd...

[edit] Also, am I the only one who finds it incredible that these spambots are smart enough to circumvent whatever sign-up process is currently in place, yet they're only carrying out this technological feat to try to sell Louis Vuitton handbags to computer programmers. Pretty sure we aren't really the target market.

#6 Desktop Gaming, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  7. SLotman

Original Member Indie Author

This is so sad. I've come to like this more and more, and find this forum as a valueble source for information and growth. I even offered to help hunting down those spam posts and deleting them...

It's is truly sad. Such a great site, with great people on board, being ruined by those spammers. There is so much spam today, that it's difficult to actually find the real posts between all that garbage. :(

I'd say lock the forum for new user registrations, or make registrations invite only for at least 3-4 months, so those spammers would get away. Please, do not let this awesome site die!

8. Shaz

Moderator Original Member

That would be easy to do ... if we had anyone around who could actually do it ;)

9. Stropp

Stropp New Member

That appears to be the biggest issue.

If we could get access there are plugins that could be installed. And new members could be prohibited from posting links or having sigs until a certain number of moderated posts have been approved.

10. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I've been really trying... I even got Steve/Mike to give me admin access. Unfortunately it wasn't enough access to actually update the forum software itself. I need server access and I emailed them letting them know this about a week ago and haven't heard back. Steve mentioned he is really busy right now which I completely understand. I just hate to see this site go. This forum (originally the Dexterity forums) is what got me into game development, after having given up trying years earlier. If you guys can just hold out a little longer I'm going to keep on this until I can get access or get Steve/Mike to update the site.

11. Shaz

Moderator Original Member

Does the access you've just been given allow you to disable new users or set limits on their posting? Any little extra that you might be able to do now might help. These guys are posting spam as fast as we're getting rid of it!

12. FabianMatyas

FabianMatyas New Member

It's sad indeed, I really hope things do sort out. This is the best forum of its kind, where some really experienced devs are still around and it would be a shame if it sinks.

13. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Unfortunately I was only given very very limited admin access so I can see certain things that you guys can't but I can't change anything.

14. Frozen In Ice

I'd hate to see it go to the toilet, but if you can't obtain the access you need Bruno, I do have a similar forum at http://maximumarcadestudios.com that is kept up to date, if anyone would like to utilize it.

15. igamedev

igamedev New Member

Yep...this site has penetrated the event horizon.

16. Desktop Gaming

With all due respect, you do keep saying that, but the site is completely empty. Are you seriously suggesting that the entire IndieGamer content is consigned to the scrap heap and we all start over?

17. Frozen In Ice

Did I say that? No, I didn't. I offered a while back, and I also stated I had just installed a forum replacement, so naturally it would be empty. I realize you are being defensive of this forum, and I understand that. I've been here quite a while too, but at some point, one has to consider cutting their losses and move on.

I didn't install the forum to piss in your cornflakes or anyone else's. I did it as a simple gesture from the heart, that was all.

18. Artinum

Original Member

This is my first visit in several days (I used to swing by daily). I don't even want to bother checking the four pages of new posts. Half of them are obvious spam, the others are usually just old threads with spam posts added to them.

It seems pretty clear to me that the owners of this site don't actually care about it any more. Indiegamer is dying, folks - I agree on the cutting of losses. I may swing by again now and then to see what's happening, but I won't make an effort.

19. Artinum

Original Member

Good idea! I've signed up...

20. Frozen In Ice

Good to see you. As I mentioned a while back, I do run several forums (unrelated) and check on them daily to assure they are running properly with the appropriate updates and patches. Granted, it will take a while for content to accumulate, but at least there is a similar forum with someone who cares. I hate to admit it, but I don't think the owners for this Indiegamer.com actually do anymore, otherwise this spam issue would have been solved long ago.