Space Mercenaries, MMO Strategy

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Isaachar, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Isaachar

Isaachar New Member

This is an MMO strategy game.

My current big issue. Most people that arrive at the website click the "Play Game" button but I get very few new accounts and I don't know why.

I am aware the website is rubbish but conversion rate is high so it's a lower priority.

Big bug: I'm aware there are sometimes bugs on fields not being editable. I'm using Java JComponents. If that happens or if you know something about how to fix it, please let me know.

Also some of the missions are untested/don't work. If you get that far...

WEBSITE
    http://www.spacemercenaries.com

SCREENSHOT
    http://www.spacemercenaries.com/images/systemmap.jpg

Thanks,

2. MrPhil

Original Member

Are your existing players using it as a startup shortcut when they jump on to play?

3. Isaachar

Isaachar New Member

I would guess so but I don't know. That's what I do.

4. andrew

andrew New Member

When I click "Play Game", the applet seems to hang for at least 20-30 seconds without any progress bar movement... I was about to close the window when the popup to install finally happened. You may want to consider finding some way to reduce that lag...

- andrew

5. Isaachar

Isaachar New Member

Cheers. Had no idea. The hosting server is fast for me.

6. Scurvy Lobster

Scurvy Lobster New Member

On a 1600x1200 pixel screen in IE8 the webpage is just horrible to look at. The background is tiled and confuses more than it adds to the equation. The menu is cluttered and hardly readable on the complex background.

If designing webpages is not your thing then maybe you could use a CMS system and just add a nice banner and a few screenshots. That would look more trustworthy.

7. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Well I just tried to run it using Chrome @1366x766, it took a while to load, looked like it had locked up until I actually clicked on the page and a login / register box suddenly appeared.
    So I'm not sure how quick it loaded or not.

So I would first add a loading progress splash to it so that the user knows what's going on and doesn't close the browser.

Secondly, (Once it loaded) I'm suddenly presented with a login box with a "new player" link.

You need some text to tell new players what to do, it's a bit daunting for the average player to suddenly be presented with a boring login box.

In fact I would switch it around, default to the create a new player box first and have existing uses need to click on the login button to switch.
    Returning users won't care, so long as you don't make them jump through too many hoops to log in!

The idea is to reduce the friction for the player as much as possible, at the moment they arrive at your site click on play now, they have to wait for what seems like an age (in internet terms ;) ), then they have to click on another button just to create a new player.

Take a leaf out of BigPoint's book and look at the way they do it with Dark Orbit http://www.darkorbit.com/

You see they have their login box on the front page, but also a massive PLAY NOW button.
    Click on the play now takes you to the registration page, but existing players can login straight away too.

Incidentally, the reason you have such a great conversion rate is most likely because you're not presenting them with too many choices.
    All they can really do is click play now.
    That's good! So try not to lose that when you redesign. :)

Of course as with everything on the internet, the best thing you can possibly do is test it for yourself!
    Use split testing to test different layouts and ideas.

Hope that helps,
    Iain

8. Isaachar

Isaachar New Member

Yes, very helpful.

What do you think of the idea of having the registration done via website and then first-time log in initialises the download?

I'd feel a bit like I'm tricking the player but it might get the result.

9. Nutter2000

HTML based registration/login is certainly faster than having to load a java app first so I'd say it's a step in the right direction.

Iain

10. ATL

ATL New Member

Fix your website, conversion rate could be much higher if you get the basics sorted first. This is plain ugly:
    http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/8089/websiteb.gif

11. Nutter2000

Of course he says the conversion is high but not the traffic or sources.
    Low traffic from highly targeted sources (e.g. posting on an indie game dev forum and saying could you try this please?) will get a lot better ctr than ranking number one in google for the keyword games :D

Not bashing, just stating the bleedin' obvious, it's what I do best :D

12. Isaachar

Isaachar New Member

Indeed traffic is low - I'm not advertising - however there are enough non-indiegamer hits to see conversion rate is high (believe me, I'm surprised too), so I've "ignored" the website. Or rather, am working on it.