Source Engine Programmer - short term contract

Discussion in 'Help Wanted (PAID ONLY)' started by TorQueMoD, Oct 25, 2006.

1. TorQueMoD

Original Member

My name is Peter Ryan aka TorQue[MoD] Project Lead for Brutal, an independently developed game built with the Source Engine.

We are currently looking to hire an experienced programmer for approximately one month (80 hours or less) of contract work at $1,500 CAD ($1,333 USD)

We are looking for a programmer with HL2 programming experience, preferably someone who has worked on a released HL2 mod. Examples of your work will be required for this position.

There are 7 tasks we need completed, 3 of which have tutorials posted on the Valve Developer Community. There is no current code base aside from valve's HL2DM code.

If you are interested, please e-mail
    torque_mod@surrogateinteractive.com

-Peter Ryan

http://brutal.surrogateinteractive.com

2. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Sorry for the offtopic, but I found this quote hilarious :
    I think it's actually sad, not hilarious, if this reflects common practices in our industry :(

3. TorQueMoD

Original Member

Did I forget to mention that its part-time work hence the reason for the 80 hours or less ?

4. Applewood

I think gabriel made the same mistake I did on reading it - that 80 hours was the weekly rate, not monthly :)

5. ggambett

Right... sorry :eek:

6. Pyabo

Original Member

I'm just curious what the "7 tasks" are. When looking for bids on a flat-rate project, it doesn't hurt to give more details.

7. Matthew

Indie Author

Still, $16.66/hr USD is very low pay for any kind of programmer, especially an experienced one...

8. TorQueMoD

Original Member

Allright, here are the details on what the tasks would involve:

Custom Menu Graphics – As per tutorial posted on Valve Developer Community
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Custom_Menu_Screen

3rd Person Camera – As per tutorial posted on Valve Developer Community
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Third_Person_Camera

Object Manipulation – Ability to pick up objects and rag dolls with character’s hands (to be synched with pickup and grab animations).

Adjusted physics Code – As per tutorial posted on Valve Developer Community
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Alternate_Multiplayer_Physics

Climbing Code – Ability to climb up to higher ledges (to be synched with climbing animation)

Animation Code – All code necessary to ensure the proper functionality of character animations

Weapons Code – Code for both two characters in the game (both melee type weapons)

#8 TorQueMoD, Oct 26, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  9. TorQueMoD

Original Member

The $1,500(CAD) is a flat rate for all tasks completed regardless of how many hours it takes to complete said tasks. If you only take 20 hours to complete the tasks, you get $1,500. If you take 80 hours, you get $1,500 so an hourly rate really doesn't apply.
    I was just estimating the contract at approximately 1 month or 80 hours of work, but this would really depend on the programmer.