Sondcard

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by johndavid, Jul 4, 2007.

1. johndavid

johndavid New Member

I'm getting a new soundcard for my PC, and was interested in what others are using. I am a musician so something that is marketed more for recording applications is what I am leaning towards, however I do love to waste lots of time playing classic arcade and console games via emulators ;) I have a few cards in mind but want to see if there's something out there that I missed. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. jhofmann

jhofmann New Member

Behringer UCA202

If you just want good stereo playback/recording, get this. It may be "only" 16 bits but that's not a serious issue for making your projects sound well-produced. I think of it as "sampling at CD quality."

It worked great out of the box, the headphone out was cleaner and more responsive than any consumer sound card I've had, and once I downloaded and installed the ASIO drivers it had low latency too. I didn't know USB could perform so well until I gave this a try.

The reason why it's so cheap is because Behringer is a knock-off company, of course - but this is one of their better efforts.

3. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Soundblaster Audigy

4. 20thCenturyBoy

Original Member

I always choose Creative simply because they are usually trouble-free in terms of working with games, but I hate their marketing, crapware, website and just about everything else about them! So yeah, I have a Xi-Fi Gamer which is fine.

5. johndavid

johndavid New Member

These are some of the cards I have in mind:

-HT OMEGA CLARO Plus+ 7.1
    -M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    -M-Audio Audiophile 2496
    -M-Audio Audiophile 192

I'm really considering the -M-Audio Delta 44

I do like the Creative (there my choice for gaming machines) but this card is going in my workstation so, I'm really looking for something geared towards recording but with excellent sound output. I just want to know if anyone has ever had BAD experience with M-audio. I've never used anything from them. Also, anyone have any experience with the HT OMEGA CLARO? I've actually never heard of them.

6. jhofmann

jhofmann New Member

If you are serious about recording you should really search for "digital interfaces," not "sound cards." The term sound card is now used mostly to refer to consumer cards, which are sold based on home-theater and special effects features, wheras in recording you are concerned foremost with DAC/ADC quality and latency. Newegg is a retailer of "sound cards" and not "interfaces." M-Audio has successfully marketed their cards to both markets, and most people seem happy with them, but I read that there were major issues with the Audiophile 192 drivers on release. Before you make a purchase try to find out if anyone's having driver issues.

The HT-OMEGA seems to be a licensee of Creative technology, which means it's probably not a recording card.

Here is where I would look for real recording interfaces:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home...91&Ntk=All&Ntt=digital+interface&Nty=1&page=1

Also, don't forget the other two elements of the recording chain - the preamp and mic. Those have to be upgraded in tandem with the interface, or you get no benefit. (And that is why I went with Behringer - the full stack cost less. I got their mic, their preamp, their interface, some cables... and it worked amazingly well.)