Something Different - http://www.your-15-minutes.com

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by chrisroyale, Nov 2, 2005.

1. chrisroyale

Original Member

Hi Guys.

This is something different, but quite fun, I wrote over the weekend. I've never used php or javascript before so it was an enjoyable little project.

http://www.your-15-minutes.com

It's very simple. To become 'famous' for 15 minutes the user uploads a photo, enters some information about themselves, and a 15 minute timeslot is reserved for them on the frontpage of the website. They can also type in some other email addresses and their friends will be told when they'll be on the frontpage so they can witness it.

The presentation is very basic at the moment but I will probably update it soon. Also, no personal information or email addresses etc. are stored.

All feedback and (constructive) criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to give it a try!

Thanks,
    Chris.

2. Sharpfish

Original Member

Heh, Interesting from an "enterprising" position. Create a website that can possibly create a stir, get mentioned on blogs etc (like the million dollar homepage) and have your link to your games company on there! ;)

Nothing wrong with that.. if it starts to get massive traffic I will be sure to post my RF logo and link *ahem* ;) .

The problem is it isn't a big traffic site yet, so you may have people waiting for their "go" for when it is.

When it does get popular (If it does) will you be editing content to stop spam/free advertising?

Anyway, will be interesting to see if it get's notoriety or dies off quietly. If it does start getting a million visits an hour can I put a link to my site on there too seeing how I was the first to offer feedback and all ;)

3. chrisroyale

Original Member

Indeed, it's a bit of a chicken & egg situation. I've got some plans to improve on the visuals and make the whole thing more enticing. The concept is fairly self-propagating so maybe I won't need to market it much (I hope). Space is limited as there are only 96 timeslots per day.

For the meantime it's pretty much 'anything goes'. If someone wants to advertise on there they're free to do so, but if it becomes an online billboard it's going to put-off regular bloggers etc. and I'll have to moderate it in some way. I'll let it roll for now though and see what (if anything) happens.

You can put a link to your site on there now if you like, but only for 15 minutes ;) If this takes-off in any way it may be some time before you have such a good opportunity. :)

Reserve your 15 minutes now to avoid disappointment ;)

4. Sharpfish

Original Member

I meant a permanent link just nice and squarely below your perm-a-link ;) (and of course I was saying it tounge in cheek).

Good luck with it, but I would try spreading some news because otherwise the visits will be so low that no one will be "famous" except in your hit counter. I Feel it needs something to kickstart it, how about the last poster remaining on it until someone else posts? (obviously with their minimum 15 minutes). That may cause someone who is fed up seeing person x's ugly mug for the last 2 days may be compelled to post something. If it just defaults back to "your picture here" it LOOKS to the general user (who doesn't know about pagerank/traffic etc) that no-one has used it so they will be wary of using it. I think therefore whoever posts on it, get's their 15 minutes but if there is nothing else in the queue they should remain being shown.. this may help get it moving. Failing that, hack into slashdot and post a news item on it ;)

5. chrisroyale

Original Member

A permanent link, eh? Well, I wouldn't like to make any promises I couldn't keep, but you have been generous enough to make nice coments, so... if you remind me again when I'm getting 1,000,000 hits a day I'll think about it :p

I've got a few ideas about how to make the site better, and with any luck will be launching v2 in a few days or so. It does looks rather amateurish at the minute so... watch this space.

6. Sharpfish

Original Member

ok.. so that's "r... e... a... l... i.. .t... y......" ;)

yeah, look me up when you get 100000 a day and i'll send you my game banner also ;)

I still think the only way to drive it on at this early stage is to leave the last post showing to encourage people to post. If I posted now for instance, you may be lucky to get 1 hit before it went off page again, so there is no incentive. However If I knew it would be left on there until someone else posted, that would encourage both me and the next person. Again, if there is a queue then the 15 minutes thing would be adhered to. This also makes the site not look "dead" imo.

again. Good luck. :)

7. simonbowerbank

Original Member

Warhol would be proud.

Also, most people are probably going to miss their 15 minutes because I just submitted my image and it said my turn was at GMT something. I really couldn't be bothered translating it into my timezone and probably wont be home anyway.

#7 simonbowerbank, Nov 2, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  8. chrisroyale

Original Member

Haha, not to worry, I caught it on the way home - very amusing.

There have been a lot of comments about version 1, but rest assured version 2 is coming soon and will address all of the short-comings of the current version.

Thanks for all the feedback so far,

Chris.

9. chrisroyale

Original Member

Hi Again.

Just to let anyone who's interested know I've just added the 'Hall of Fame' to our site.

http://www.your-15-minutes.com

Basically everyone who registers is now guaranteed a permanent link in the hall of fame, and if our traffic takes-off when we launch for real, this could work-out quite valuable. It also makes the site more interesting to browse IMHO.

I've also noticed some of you guys have already registered, and your new permanent links are now on the site. :)

Apologies however if anyone's link has vanished, some of the early posts were lost when the back-end changed a few days ago.

There are still quite a few changes to make to the site, but I can guarantee no more links will be lost.

Thanks again,
    Chris.

10. Savant

Original Member

So is the site working out the way you had hoped? It looks like, from the hall of fame at least, that you're getting a lot of spam/advertising. In other words, people seem more interested in promoting their sites than just showing their pics.

The girl with the sandwich seems like more of what I would imagine you were going for...

11. chrisroyale

Original Member

Hi Savant.

There's definitely an eclectic mix so far. I'm pretty happy with the way it's going though - there are a few advertisers on there, quite a few bloggers, and some pretty random crazy stuff.

I'll probably limit the adverts when/if the traffic picks up to stop it from being hijacked. It's still early days and there are all sorts of people registering. But yeah, it would be nice to see more real people registering like sandwich girl.

Cheers,
    Chris.

12. steve bisson

Original Member

ho man my 15 minutes of fame will be published on a tuesday at 3:30 am !!! im so pissed now ;) hehehehehehe

thats a great idea to gather emails man.

but the page said

"This person's 15 minutes have already expired. Register now to claim the front page!"

yet i have to wait 5 days :( is it broken or its to make sure impulsive people like me submit their email ? ;)

13. Bachus

Original Member

What happens when you start getting more requests than there are minutes in a day?

14. chrisroyale

Original Member

Hey Steve,

according to my all-powerful admin tools, you're due to feature on :

Tuesday 08th of November 2005 03:30:00 AM (GMT)

That's tomorrow! ;)

In the first couple of days we received some, shall we say, 'inappropriate' pictures. In response we've added a 24 hour buffer-zone for all posts so we can moderate them. The current waiting time for new posts is around 24 hours.

Cheers,
    Chris.

15. chrisroyale

Original Member

If we were booked-up till, say, next Friday, then your post would not appear until next friday as all posts are queued chronologically.

If the demand starts to exceed supply (there are 96 timeslots per day) we will consider all options to control demand (for example, charging commercial companies a fee to post). With such a limited resource we may be forced to control demand in some way.

Cheers,
    Chris.

16. alfie

Indie Author

Very interesting.

In these days of instant gratification, you could still give the users their 15 minutes of fame and also Triple your daily slots. Example, generate a temporary url for them that will say be viewable in 1 hour and last for 10 minutes... this will give them a chance to email friends, put in their blogs etc. Then give them a 5 minute slot on the front page for whenever the next one is available. To make it more interesting for the visitors you could have a sub page with a random selection of those 10 minute slot urls.

17. BinaryMoon

Indie Author

Edit : Doh! - wrong thread :(

18. chrisroyale

Original Member

Hmm, yeah. It seems like a bit of a cop-out though giving people 5 mins on the front page instead of 15. I think it's nice for people to have at least 15 mins.

19. alfie

Indie Author

Yep, I see what you mean. It just would not make sense because they would not have their 15 minutes on the front page.

What would make sense and also Triple your slots would be to have 3 posters on the front page at the same time and rotate them up every 5 minutes. You would need some sort of seperator between each posters upload e.g. your logo. Also, if it takes off you could sell add space in the seperator slots. I think giving it some variety with including the roate up every 5 minutes, and of course triple content for visitors makes it more appealing.

20. chrisroyale

Original Member

Some good ideas there. I think I'm going to feature 4 or 5 random submissions from the hall of fame on the front page to give everyone a bit more exposure.