Someone stole my game! Please help!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by mottatta, Jan 26, 2017.

1. mottatta

mottatta New Member

2. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

That's bad. This is really annoying. I hope you will find the way to at least remove the game that steals from yours. Good luck with that.

3. mottatta

mottatta New Member

Thanks for the support man! I don't know what to do. I can't sue the guy, because I can't afford that, I contacted Google, but no response. Now my only thoughts are to try to share this with as many people as possible and hope to reach this guy that stolen my game, or if not just to keep other devs aware of this fact, because I am sure it will continue to happen and we have to support each other somehow and try to prevent it as much as we can. Although I am really sad that I meet a lot of comments that are actually on the other hand, saying that it's that there is nothing illegal and I should just let it go...I am not sure why they act like that, but I am sure if this was their game stolen they wouldn't act this way and I am sure I would try to support everyone in my situation. So I thank you for the reply to the threat! It's good to know there are people who are supportive! Respect!

4. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

Yeah, I'm aware that you won't sue him. Such people are aware of that fact so they don't afraid to much of taking someones else work. Unfortunately it's not so rare.

I think you should keep trying to report him and document that fact for yourself (or to the readers if you wish) in case your game will find its way to huge success (which I wish you of course). Also your screens, logs from servers, mails etc. can help you prove that this is your game. In case he could try to take down your game in the future.

I've seen a trailer on 'his' game page with gameplay video which features a background music that sounds like studio release and probably is another case of copyright infringement and probably can be reported too. Maybe it will help you a little bit, maybe not.

Btw. you should record a gameplay trailer for your game too. Steal that idea from him as a little revenge ;)

5. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

You can always re-re-brand your game to release it. Kind of like they did. It doesn't seem like such a big game to re-skin? And I guess you would have needed such work for mobile release anyway.

Not to say it doesn't suck but I wouldn't spend too much time and energy fighting it. Much better to spend that energy improving the game and preparing a new release.

6. mottatta

mottatta New Member

NO9 Thanks man :)
    Also thanks for the suggestion for the trailer. My game already have a gameplay trailer and I put the link into Google Play page of the game, but I wasn't aware that it's not showing, I should find why is this happening, thanks for noticing me that :)

NO9 likes this.
  7. mottatta

mottatta New Member

kevintrepanier you are right it's not some big game that is hard to reskin, but I felt like someone is taking something that I worked on and had some success and he tried to take advantage of that. But I guess if it wasn't successful he wouldn't take it, so I guess it is somehow positive thing. Although I see it's happening maybe all the time, I don't think it's right, that is why I am trying to spread the word and make people discuss it at least, cause maybe it's not so fatal for a game like mine, which is not so big and I didn't invest so much time and effort, but what if this happens to someone that spent a lot of time, hopes, budget, etc. I think there should be a serious discussion and people should find some solution and spread it, this is why I will continue to try to reach as much people as I can.

8. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

I think it is good to let people know that such things happen and also warn them. But Kevin is also right that spending to much time on this will not get you far. In my opinion it is good to take it as a lesson from it and move on, especially it is not hundreds or thousands of dollars loss in this case.
    We live in seemingly open culture where everybody share all they have online and it is great for many reasons but has also its dark side and you just encountered it. That's why the best protection for ideas is to keep them secret. But that's a really long story.

bantamcitygames likes this.
  9. Chill Monster

Chill Monster New Member

I'm sure it's very annoying that this other dude managed to beat you to writing a mobile version of your Flash game but I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. The fake version hasn't been updated for 2 years and its download numbers are very low, it's pretty much a ghost app now.

I've played both games and your version is the better of the two but the control system needs improvement. I would forget about the ripped off version and concentrate your efforts on making your version REALLY good. Maybe replace the left and right buttons with a slide area so the character can be moved faster, try a few different options to see what's the most responsive, the control system will make or break this game.

Best of luck ;)

bantamcitygames and DukeofRealms like this.
  10. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

@mottatta if it helps at all I just "Featured" this thread which might get some more eyeballs on it and help to get the other guy's game taken down. I do agree with the posts above though. It's definitely good to fight it via reporting the game via the appropriate channels and provide good supporting documentation to your claim, but don't spend too much time on this when you could be writing your own better version.

11. Xeno Neza

Xeno Neza New Member

for me in my country it is already copywritten as long as you have proof of your files and dates that you first created it but unsure