So what's everyone's dreams as a developer?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Joseph Bullock, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Joseph Bullock

Joseph Bullock New Member

We all wanna make games, but what dies everyone hope to accomplish with it? Do you want to work at your favorite developer? Want to make your own studio that will one day rival the likes of naughty girl? Or do you want to stay making the types of games you do now?
    Personally, I want to make a studio, third or first party, that is known as one of the finest in the world. With game play that people will love, characters that inspire people, a story that is both entertaining and deep, with lessons that can walk people through their life. Gurren Lagann, devil may cry, and a few others did this for me. I want to stand with and above those franchises. To make a path for future developers to go even higher

samorious, Raxmo and idurvesh like this.
  2. Raxmo

Raxmo New Member

Well, my personal goal is to start from nothing, and build a studio that brings gems that every gamer knows by name. I want to become a studio that people squeal whenever they see a new game from us gets released.

samorious likes this.
  3. samorious

samorious New Member

That is a really nice goal you set for yourself! Personally I want to create games that bring elements I alwyas missed in them, or games wich totally change the way you look at games. I am starting a small studio with a friend and am very curious how we will end up

Raxmo likes this.
  4. Raxmo

Raxmo New Member

Well, the thing I would suggest is that just make games that YOU want to play and let the world decide if they like it or not. It becomes obviouse when a game didn't have much heart put into it for the sake of making money, and nothing else.

5. Tarvin

Indie Author

My dream is to build a small team and establish the studio by making smaller projects to establish a revenue stream. With revenue built up we could afford to expand and take on increasingly larger games and spin off additional development teams.

As things get to the point of about 2 large games being in development along with smaller projects I would like to expand into the news and media realm to diversify further. This in turn would fund expansion into more diverse fields and ensure that no matter the economic climate the studio and company as a whole would be sound and could continue to build.

Though for that I need a programmer and some artists to get things started. Surely there must be some on these forums?

6. Raxmo

Raxmo New Member

Well, this is a collection of people who want to make games, and there are forums for artists and programmers. You could always post something in the Help Wanted forums and see how it pans out, and even do a little digging around. doing this has already gotten me two of the 8 or so team members I'm looking for, so, keep at it, it'll take some work to get where you want to be.

7. Tarvin

Indie Author

I already have posted in the help wanted section but am still waiting to hear from artists and programmers.

8. samorious

samorious New Member

Yup that is indeed very true, we'll be focussing on that!

9. Raxmo

Raxmo New Member

Well, I wish you luck!

10. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

My dream as a developer is a lot more personal and overall really basic in reality.

I just want to develop games out of a sense that it was an overwhelming dream of mine in my younger years with a combination of my love of comic creation, trying to get motivated by making games isn't hard and since the indie game hype is slowly losing it's taste. I was always fond of games format and how it was represented, let alone how it was able to tell a story as well getting the player involved in it.

11. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

I just wish to make a living out having fun making games. I don't want a big studio. I want to work on small, non binding projects and avoid the stress of big launches. I want to have a loyal fan base to develop a creative discussion with.

Sponge likes this.
  12. 3ph0r

At the moment i love to create game worlds and levels. i love seeing places and getting ideas from real world places and objects and then trying to incorporate them into games.
    But I think it would be awesome to have a game studio (only a small team) that creates controversial games. like Rockstar did/do. make things that are different and make things that other companies are too worried about making due to risk of loosing money from it. used to love all ps1 and ps2 era games, where you would get games about anything and everything. it was awesome.
    remember peoples reactions when GTA 3, Manhunt and state of emergency came out? xD

13. borneogamer

borneogamer New Member

I want to make a living out of making fun games. If it turns into a big studio like Rovio or Halfbrick is nice :D. I want to work on small projects that is stress free and yet fun enough that a lot of people will want to play it as soon as it launches. And fans, gotta have fans! :D

Sponge likes this.
  14. Rob De Bank

Rob De Bank New Member

The dream job of some game developer is to write their games in their own office, be it a real office, the garage, a nice villa with a waterfall in the backyard or a nice beach house. And to make money from that. Enough to sustain that job and situation.

Sponge likes this.
  15. DMATH

DMATH New Member

I think this is what the majority of game devs want, recognition.

And money, money is nice too

16. dragonslumber

Greenlit

Realistically, I want to be able to sustain myself doing only game dev, while making games I find enjoyable. Right now I'm working on a 2d JRPG and for multiple reasons, it's unlikely to be profitable for a while, it cost a lot to make and I have to keep a full time job to pay for it and be able to live. But, I learned a lot through the process so hopefully the next game will be leagues ahead in terms of sustainability. Recognition would be nice as well, though I don't see that as much as a "dream", I think it'll just be a natural by-product of being active in the indie dev community.

I guess I'm not much of a dreamer, I try to aim realistically high and properly complete each step before moving to the next. First make a game, then make a profitable game, then make an amazing game. And if you manage to get it all on your first try, good on ya, but no use worrying too much even if you don't.

idurvesh and Sponge like this.
  17. tanzim

tanzim New Member

18. Rekusi

Indie Author

I remember answering this question to myself when reading a book and deciding to jump into it. My answers were:

1. Be debt free
    2. Work from home
    3. Help my father retire
    4. Not work for a corporation and be stuck in corp drama.

Scott Cawthon (Five nights at Freddies) is one of my inspirations. He is a successful one-man band and is probably a millionaire considering he once donated $250k to a local hospital last year. There are tons of successful small studious, and that is my goal. I dont need to work for some mega company where I will end up being a drone. Im done dealing with corp drama.

I actually have a list of about 20 games I want to make and even have prototypes for some that I did. My games range from very simple to probably overly optimistic. I have already released one very simple game to at least be able to say I am a developer, and I will soon be working on my 2nd game. Most of it has been a learning process, but its been a lot of fun that I hope to be able to make a living off of.

noahbwilson likes this.
  19. JMac

JMac New Member

I want to make enough money to start a game developer incubator in my area. A place where people who want to make games can come for free and learn about the tools available for making games and have fun. A place to help get them started towards making their own games and their own studios. I live in NE Ohio and we have several colleges in the area but only one has an actual game program that is not focused on becoming an artist/3D animation. Only two that I know of use an actual game engine like Unity, (I dont count for-profit colleges like Brown Mackie where the credits dont really transfer).

Sponge likes this.
  20. Sponge

Sponge New Member

Unlike most people, I would love to make something small. I don't want to become a giant company that makes games like call of duty, but I would love to make games like undertale, games that are unique, and are made with a small group of people. I feel like, even if I'm not known by everybody, I'll still be able to make a living and have a devoted fan base.

Andrew_ and kevintrepanier like this.