Six years ago.

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Indiepath, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Maupin

Original Member

Six years ago I had just finished my first big web application, a bilingual dating site in Japan (still around and still profitable). I hadn't even yet met the girl who I'd end up creating my first game for as a birthday present.

That downloadable game lead to me learning about the casual game scene and starting my own casual portal, which provided a nice chunk of income until recently.

2. Uhfgood

Original Member

Six years ago I was wondering what the heck am I doing, and I'm still wondering that today.

3. cyodine

Original Member

Six years ago, I had moved from Indiana to Florida to finish getting my Computer Science degree in a nice sunny environment. I could never function well during winters.

I had already worked professionally as a software engineer, but everyone kept stressing the need for that piece of paper. The irony is that I'm now trying to break into the Indie scene where you don't need that paper.

Oh, btw, 2004 was the year when hurricane Ivan hit the gulf coast I had to change apartments because the roof of the adjacent apartment had a leak and water flooded into the walls, causing mold.

4. Uhfgood

Original Member

If you want to ask me what I will be doing 6 years from now, now you're talking. Let's pretend the year is 2016 and you're asking me what I did 6 years ago. Six years ago (from future said 2016) I was just finishing up my first editor, that was a good month because it was the month before my Birthday. I still had several projects to do, like converting some home movies, and some personal video projects. I also managed to somehow port Wagons Ho to flash just to learn flash. Come August 23rd I started on my biggest game to date. Hypno-Joe a platformer where you as the protagonist with nothing but a pair of eyes and feet could only hypnotize your enemies. It took 5-6 months to complete from start to release, and while not completely original had enough going that it was able to make some decent sales on xbox live indie games. Then came a couple of sequels a few months apart. And I managed to complete 3 more original games with my editor before my 2 year period was up (the time I was to complete Hypno-Joe itself). By that time I was eeking out a living, not much to write home about, but enough to figure I could do it for a living. Next I decided to up my game (so-to-speak) and made an epic-sprawling-fantasy-comedy-cartoony graphic adventure. This actually took about 18 months, but I had the money to get some decent artists to work on it. I decided to settle on SLUDGE as my engine of choice because it actually was able to run on the 3 major pc platforms, (windows, mac os, and linux -- which still isn't much of a market but is a lot better than it used to be). So here I am in 2016, and there are no signs of stopping. I'm a success (or what I would term a success) and I'm working on my biggest project ever, an fps with a unique look at skill levels. I think I will have enough money to hire some 3d programmers and artists and musicians, but I'm still in the design stages. That's what I was doing 6 years ago (6 years from now ;-) )

5. Fry Crayola

Original Member

Back then I had just graduated and the world lay out in front of me. Anything was possible.

I've done sod all with it. I've pretty much abandoned my previous plans (big football game) because it'll drive me to utter madness, and I'm going to turn my hand to something else. I'm so completely fed up with working in jobs I don't care about that I'm quitting those too, sort of going all or nothing with trying to get a game made. Any game. However small, however profitable.

I hope for six years of positive thinking instead of the negativity that gradually took over my life.

6. GhostRik

Original Member

Six years ago I went back into visual effects, eventually achieving my dream of becoming a 3D animator (and winning two Emmy awards to boot). Do I regret abandoning the two games I was working on (a music tutorial shooter in Game Maker and a roller coaster puzzle game in 3DRad)? Not really. The last six years have been awesome. Besides, those games do sound rather esoteric, don't they? Now I'm looking back into the whole indie game thing, possibly as web-playable promotion for other projects.

But if we go back 29 years ago I was an indie games success -- on the Sinclair ZX81!

Rik

7. Olofson

Original Member

That sounds familiar - although it was over 12 years ago that period begun in my case.

Six years ago, I was just beginning to "wake up". Started building my race car (a dream since I was a kid) and actually starting to enjoy life again every now and then. Still lots of negative stress from work and stuff, but I was becoming aware of it, which is a huge step towards doing something about it.

So, two kids, a bunch of hopeless relations, one bankruptcy and one career down the drain later, I'm starting my own business. Working on my first commercial game, and some embedded systems development work coming in. I can finally work again without negative stress and feeling generally ripped off!

I still have this stupid idea of finding a sensible woman who can actually bring something to this family, but I think I'll have to rethink my strategy there... :D

8. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

What a great thread! How did I miss it the first time it was started?

Well, in 2004 I was already a business man working on Conference Registration System. Same year I started career as Academic Teacher and I believe that this brought be back on track to making games (I was teaching programming and thought that teaching programming through making simple games was a great idea). Then I found Torque, then IGF, couple of indie games that I thought that they do "suck" and that I can do better games. It had to pass 4 years before I started to make real money with my games and to learn that just "doing better" doesn't mean "selling more".

Oh, I just remembered. I also got into game business for my kids, wanted to make some games for them (with a hope that such games sell well). We made 2 games for kids, but didn't make much money with them.

cheers
    Roman

9. Olofson

Original Member

Well, in my experience, kids are generally more interested in challenges that are supposedly above their level. (This goes for movies and other media as well.) Doom, the Quake series, the Half-Life series; that sort of stuff. Me and my older son even had a few hours of fun in iRacing (hardcore racing simulator - not a game), setting lap records with formula cars on large ovals! Garry's Mod (a sandbox "game" mod for Source based games) is probably where the kids have logged most of their gaming hours so far.

10. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Six years ago I was programming Iron Fist, a kung fu platformer in BlitzPlus. Problem is I was doing this at night until about 4am then getting up a few hours laterand coding business software by day (which I'd been doing for 9 years). Then in the summer I saw the light and quit my job and made games full-time.

11. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

According to your twitter posts you are still working until the early hours :p

12. InfiniteStateMachine

Six years ago was around the time I realized I didnt want to be in construction or cooking for the rest of my life and started taking level design more seriously.

13. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Who is this masked man? To make it fun, how about telling us the name of ZX81 game (which, BTW, was my first machine - careful not to bump the RAM pack).

14. wazoo

Original Member

6 years ago I had the same dream as everyone else of doing Indie games "full time"...RAWR!
    Unfortunately while I had some great ideas, I had no constraints on myself or my projects and pretty much played with every shiny game dev toy that came along in the hopes of striking gold.

Today I've got the same drive I had, a lot more planning, a tiny bit more seed money and am making every effort to erase those wasted 6 years from my game dev life...;)

15. Grey Alien

Indie Author

True, true, but that was only recently due to crunching. In fact it reminded me how bad it is. So I won't do that again for a while...

16. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

I know the feeling, although I don't find this all so bad.
    It's 5:00AM and I'm working lol with good music on, mind you. :p
    I tend to work very late at night when I need to get a lot of stuff done (sounds trivial eh)

17. Grey Alien

Indie Author

yes there were bits of working late I enjoyed. Mainly when my family was in the UK and I could stay up late coding to good music and then no one would wake me up too early in the morning. When they came back I had to fit back into normal times and it was like having jetlag.

18. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

lol I revert very easily personally. I find it harder to unrevert than to revert... probably because I like working at night.
    making your own schedule, one of the glories of the indies :p

19. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Six years ago... I guess I was doing pretty much exactly the same thing I'm doing now. I was around 6-7 yrs into working for myself, full time on Games at that point, and I can't remember which game we were working on then. Maybe Space Taxi 2.

20. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Indy & Grey: you're vampires :D I go to bed at midnight every day and never work later than 8-9pm. I wake up relatively early (for a full time indie lol) so around 9am I am ready to work. Most profitable hours are the morning ones.
    Svero: what game are you working on right now ?