Six years ago.

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Indiepath, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Grey Alien

Indie Author

This is really awesome hearing everyone's routes. Thanks for sharing all!

2. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

Seems 2004 was a pivotal year for a lot of indies here - I really had no idea so many of us got into the scene at the same time.

3. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Well for us as a forum, it's also when we transitioned (graduated?) from being a strange monster brewing in Dexterity Software's forum: people wanting to discuss the (small) business of game making. It was such an unheard of thing back then. Other forums our only topics were art, RPG making, and whatnot: No serious discussion how to do this and also make a living.

We've been through a whole industry cycle in that time. The rise/boom (and fall?) of casual games. A notably legacy.

Now we're all crotchety old men with a "back in my day, uphill both ways" story. ;)

4. Escapee

Original Member

Six years ago I resigned as a research engineer(chemical) at a Japanese corporate and started making Prodigious escape. Thinking that I would become financially independent or millionaire selling the game. Bahahahha :D Big mistake, the game was a flop, I went back to corporate as engineer again for a year plus and then decided to go full time (more on web publishing, less on making games) till now. I remember my parents kept urging me to go find a job because they had no clue what the frak I was doing with computer all day ........

5. electronicStar

Original Member

It seems that 2004 was indeed a pivotal role for indie industry, I remember it's around that time people started using the word "indie" everywhere, I don't remember what was the founding event.

6. Escapee

Original Member

The trigger that sent me to digital world. ( Completely deviate from my discipline in Chemical Engineering )

For me it was Steve Pavlina. He changed my life path.

7. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

I was watching one dude doing Asteroids game :D

8. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

I think if you're an indie anything, every year is a pivotal year. Last time I was doing roughly the same thing two years in a row, it was teaching English in Korea, and even that was only for exactly two years. I mean, lots of people here have been doing indie game dev for years and years, but still, the landscape of the industry changes every year, and each project is different than the last. I guess some people are more consistent than others, but anyway, my experience with being an independent graphic artist is that it's one self-reinvention after another.

9. richtaur

Indie Author

Six years ago I had one year of experience as a PHP developer at SchoolCenter (just some little startup in the midwest). Two years later I was hired by Yahoo! Widgets, and now I'm a frontend engineer at Raptr.

This year I finally released two playable games, Bombada and Onslaught!. My partner and I are working on getting Onslaught! as a downloadable game for PC, Mac and Linux. Our next game we hope to make available on all kinds of platforms like Android and iPhone.

Hopefully you'll see more game-related updates from me in the next six years ;)

Good stuff, fun thread! I find most of your stories really motivating :)

10. princec

Indie Author

Ah, the grand Fruit Loop himself, bless his memory. 'Twas he who made me think I could make some money at it. (I never thought it was worth it beforehand). Turns out... he was completely wrong :D But I was hooked by then.

Cas :)

11. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Yep, Pavlina and Cultivate Burning Desire helped get me into this. Turns out he was right and you can make money from it.

12. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Ditto

13. gutripper

gutripper New Member

Six years ago I was a development lead for a software company that made financial software for car dealers. It was as boring as it sounds. The next year, I was made redundant when a new CEO took over and decided to make some changes.

Since then, I've worked for a company making an MMO (which didn't work out) and another company that made a couple of iphone games, before going solo and releasing my own game on Xbox 360 and PlayStation.

Much happier now :)

14. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Heh, I hadn't seen Interzoned ;)

Six years ago I'm pretty sure I had just started working on our (sadly) one and only game, and discovering this strange world of the independent developer here at indiegamer. That was certainly an eye opening time.

15. Karja

Original Member

Quite a mix of stories here!

Six years ago I was studying Computer Science and making small shareware apps that sold a couple of copies - an FTP server, a web server and so on. I also made half-arsed games with no commercial interest at all, and I was only concerned with the hobbyist side of game making.

Unlike many here, I'm still not all that interested in going full time indie (which is apparent from my choice of games and slow rate of game releases). I kinda like working for The Man! I get to travel, there are interesting technical issues and I get to meet people. The Man is good to me.

(Then again, maybe I'd change my mind if I had a really successful game. ;))

16. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Being indie fulltime there are pro and cons of course, like for everything. If you work for smart people and you like your job, no need to quit it all in a hurry :)

17. BarrySlisk

Original Member

According to himself he earned $8.000 month on his website (year 2006).

Can that man turn everything into gold or is he l....exaggerating? I thought his sales numbers for dweep was insanely high.

#57 BarrySlisk, Jul 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  18. MFS

MFS New Member

Ah, sweet memories. 6 years ago I was still working as a chemist's assistant, doing in-vivo and in-vitro toxicology studies with dental monomers. That was the year I changed to part-time lab worker and migrated from hobbyist game developer to contractual game development in the mainstream industry. Those events 6 years ago effectively lead to going full time indie last year!

Lots of interesting stories -- both successful and otherwise! Good thread :D

19. Bad Sector

Original Member

Keep in mind he was around much before a lot of people and when he started there weren't any portals (his Dexterity site was probably the closest to a portal) as today. BFG, Yahoo games, MSN games, RealArcade, etc were inexistant (or unknown) around in late 90s/early 2000s. Also there were much MUCH less people making games so he had few competition :).

20. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Yes, he was a-scared. :cool: