Six years ago.

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Indiepath, Jul 26, 2010.

1. amaranth

Original Member

Six years ago, I was in my old Nissan Sentra, driving across the country from Kansas City to Seattle. After a year of saving (I was a junior technical writer), I finally had enough money to go where I wanted to go for the first time in my life. It was a scary summer with no job and a blind move, but it gave me a lot of time to work on my favorite hobby at the time: freeware games!

2. Vino

Vino New Member

Six years ago I was laid off, my girlfriend broke up with me, and my cat died. I try not to think about it, thanks a lot.

3. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

Just finished High school and went off to work at my first full time job.

I began my drafting apprenticeship and learnt a lot about the world and working with engineers.

Also got my first car and learnt to deal with peak hour traffic.

It was kinda shitty year as I didn't like the job, but it lead me to getting better work at a higher rate that was enjoyable.

I believe I'm still only young compared to some around here.

4. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

I'm also part of the Indie Class of '04. :)

Six years ago I quit my job at Sony and started my own little Indie company, Outside The Box Software. I spent most my first year working on a 2.5D platformer, PowPow . In hindsight, that game was probably too ambitious for my first solo title. It was just too big for me to give it the polish it needed. Also around that time traditional platformers were going the way of shooters and weren't really viable anymore. It wasn't until several years later when "physics-based" platformers came in vogue that the genre had somewhat of a resurgence and even then it was just primarily in the closed-system and freeware communities.

I released two more downloadable games almost 4 years ago, but those were quick 2-3 month projects. Around that time I noticed how the distribution points for traditional indie downloables were shrinking and how the casual portals were beginning to squeeze developers. The budgets needed to compete were getting higher and the ROI was getting lower. Since then I've primarily focused on web-based multiplayer games where I could reach my customers and develop a relationship directly without a "gatekeeper". I just kept developing my small community until I reached sustainability.

I had a rocky start, but the last two years have been the most successful. It would have been nice to get to this point earlier obviously, but I am glad that I'm here still standing on my own independent two feet 6 years later. :)

5. BarrySlisk

Original Member

6 years ago I was fired from my job as a games developer (simple 2D games) due to economic problems in the company and then I tried to start a games company (www.zeropointsoft.com) with two friends. I did not work well with the "main founder" and so they kicked me out. What a crappy year that was. I still see them and there are no hard feelings. Well, there are, but I try not to show it :)

6. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

I want you to think long and hard about it then. :D

7. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Impressive how things changed A LOT for some people (amanda, indinera, chris evans...). I'm not too far from when I started, but still I am fulltime and as long as I'm not going in a office I consider it a success :p

8. Vino

Vino New Member

And what an amazing, original game they went on to develop, with innovative features like reloading and ironsights. I am very impressed by the land sharks and gameplay that seems to consist of backpedaling from kamikaze robots.

9. Scharlo

Original Member

6 years ago I quit my job at DICE and started Big Blue Bubble. My wife quit her job as well and we got our 1st kid (all in the same month). I got some smart people on board and today we are 50+ people studio with over 50 games released (over 100 if you count ports).

10. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

6 years ago I was just finishing ToW and about half-way done with Invadazoid... working part time as an IT guy, network admin, programmer, and going to school full time, met my later-to-be wife... good times!

11. dewitters

Original Member

That went fast!

12. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

Six years ago I was finishing my graphic design program and thinking about how liberating and fun it would be to work as a freelance graphic designer, compared to my previous incarnations as an astrophysics undergrad, and an English teacher in Korea. The anvil of reality was still dangling above my head, though I hadn't spotted it yet.

13. bitrabbit

Original Member

I don't post very often (although I follow the forum regularly) but couldn't resist...

Six years ago, I was working in a very successful financial software company, managing almost 50 people, which means I had basically no time for coding, and all time I had for coding was spent on debugging others' code (because I was then the oldest employee)... It's exactly six years ago I began developing a Symbian game at night (the kind of job I had plus two little children don't leave you lots of time for coding :) ), which incredibly went to be sold through several channels (Orange UK/FR, embedded in memory cards in Carphone Warehouse retail shops, ...). Then a second one followed, then some ports to Windows Mobile.

Two years later, I was asked by a mobile game company, interested to move to smartphones, to sell them the technology I had developed in a nice package against money (of which I only got 1/3, we're in mobile remember ^^). This was the time to go full time, realize my dreams (build my company, make videogames) and leave the tons of money I was making then, silly of me...

And here we are now... We have ported some famous games, like Platypus for Handmark on all smartphone platforms, or Azada on iPhone for Big Fish Games, have at last released an original IP on Samsung Bada new smartphone platform (game Weston Westie on www.samsungapps.com) and still working on our cross platform middleware (PC, Mac, Symbian, Windows Mobile, iPhone/iPad, Bada and maybe Android, webOS to come)...

Contrary to Scharlo, we've not grown to 50, we're just 4, but working from home is just fantastic, although it has its drawback. It was very difficult to get PSP Minis SDK, and working from home is still a no go for Nintendo. And despite all the money I've "lost" in the process, I'm still 100% happy of my decision :)

14. Pogacha

Original Member

Congrats :)

15. Nexic

Indie Author

Six years ago I was a 17 year old kid making my first commercial game, Astral Phantom. It sold 1 copy. Epic.

16. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

Total?...........

17. Nexic

Indie Author

Yes, after a year on sale it sold 1 copy. At that point I took it down from my site.

18. chanon

Indie Author

6 years ago (2004) I had a relatively high paying day job where my job was just to show up. 80% of the time I used reading inspirational and business related articles on the net. My company was already running on the side with 2 employees (an artist and a programmer) working on our first game Tommy and the Magical Words.

I quit the job in 2005 to focus on the company and to help finish up Tommy. Tommy became an IGF finalist and today our company has grown to 12 people. Learned tons along the way. Still tons more to learn though :)

BTW - love the thread and everyone's stories!

19. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Six years ago Betty's Beer Bar was still selling after 6 or 7 months of its release, since it was the first time management game portals picked it after they saw it was successful in other portals, so it had an unusually long release schedule. A few months later Diner Dash was released, proving the genre we had created would become a huge success.

So six years ago (weeks more, weeks less) I decided to go fulltime indie. I talked to my boss and announced my intention to quit to make games - he took it very well and encouraged me in my seemingly absurd idea :)

Six years ago we had just released our 3rd game (PegSweeper 1st, Betty's Beer Bar 2nd, FaceIt 3d). No Pirate Poppers, Sherlock Holmes or CSI yet, no Casual Connect and meeting other indies - not for many years.

Six years ago I was 23, happy and infinitely optimistic. Since that time I experienced my share of setbacks, abysmal failures, cancelled games, and so on... I haven't burned out, but my work and my attitude towards work has changed.

Very interesting thread, really got me thinking, and also nostalgic :)

20. Stefan Maton

Original Member

6 years ago I recovered from a depression I suffered from due to some bad game development experiences I had during end 2003, beginning 2004. Started working for a company which does speech recognition based picking software.

Today, I'm an independent developer doing contract work in- and outside the gaming industry. I'm currently working on a MP only vehicle based F2P game prototype using Unity3 (and I would like to have more spare time to work on it :D ).