Site Launch - BlueBugGames.com

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by maksum, Sep 15, 2004.

1. maksum

Indie Author

I'm proudly joining the ranks of those able to put their Web site in their signature, as I have launched BlueBugGames.com

Simple for now, but as I finish my first game (hopefully within 4 weeks) and add more, it will be a bit more interesting.

In the meantime take a quick look and let me know what you think. :)

Mike

2. oNyx

Original Member

Nice clean layout, good choice of colors and fonts.

The "bluebuggames" graphic at the top has a very fuzzy dropshadow in contrast to the rather sharp shadow of "add em up".

It also took me quite a while (more than 15 seconds) to realize that you can actually play something there.

"play Add 'em Up now" - right now "add'em up" is emphasised instead of "play now". Since there is already a big "add'em up" graphic on top of that there is no need to point out that you mean "add'em up". So I would use the "add'em up" fontsize there and just "play now" ;)

3. botman

Original Member

I like the website, its nice and clean and the colours are bright.

I'm sorry to say this though, but I tried Add 'em Up and didn't find it very fun (of course, I'm probly not your target market).

Two issues leap to mind.

First, the 9+ rule is confusing... Now, it may infact be incredibly simple, but from the explanation and the single example given in the help section, I didn't really get it (though I admit I made no effort to try and work it out myself ingame).

Second, when clearing tiles, only a couple of times did I actually clear multiple tiles at once (probly in part because I didn't know how to clear large numbers on account of the 9+ thing). Most of the time I was just placing a number on the corner of the same number, clearing them both.

E.g. placing the top left 4:
    ____
    _4__
    __48
    _703

Edit: lol OK now I get the 9+ thing... It's a bit more fun now. :p

#3 botman, Sep 15, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  4. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I like the site too. Did you do the design yourself?

5. MattInglot

Moderator Original Member

Very nice work. Both the site and logo are great!

6. Scorpio

Indie Author

Congrats on launching your site. I should have mentioned this in your post about your logo...your logo is awesome...but you might consider moving the bug itself to the left or right of the text part...this will make the graphic shorter (and wider) which will put more of your web site "above the fold" in terms of what the user can see in their browser without having to scroll (currently, there's a lot of wasted space at the top, because your logo is so tall...and this means the user sees less of the "guts" of your site until they start scrolling).

Basically, there's some situations where you want a tall graphic and others where you want a shorter (but maybe wider) graphic. I think your graphic would look great in both layouts but your web site would benefit from using the shorter/wider version.

When the flash version of your game launches, your current, taller, logo looks awesome.

Just a suggestion...best of luck with your new game!
    -Scorpio

7. Dan MacDonald

Very professional look, one that is very portal friendly I might add. Your game reminded me a lot of MSN Gaming Zone games, you might want to push it there?

Best of luck, I think you have a bright future...

8. Andy

Original Member

Mike,

Good looking site, great looking demo. I said you my opinion on the rest in the previous thread.

Am I correct that we got no rights to discuss the game itself? ;)

9. maksum

Indie Author

Thanks! Yes, did it myself.

Ah yes. Hadn't thought of that. Very good suggestion. I will implement that.

Yeah, I went back and forth on that and finally decided just to put it up. I definitely see your point and it is going to be addressed at some point. My vision is to have the logo without the bug, then some tab links across the top, and then on the other corner have one of several images of the bug in different positions and such randomly placed there... something like that. Anyway, I agree - a lot is being pushed below the fold.

Thanks for all the comments thus far! Definitely helpful to get some fresh eyes on it!

Mike

10. maksum

Indie Author

I would be thrilled to get any possible feedback on the game as well. I really really really want to have the complete "deluxe" version done by the time the indie gamer conference thing rolls around next month.

The features we have planned seem like they should work pretty well. I want to have 100 puzzle stages, which my wife has been working on. Basically you'll have a specified set of tiles on the stage (rather than random) and instead of a "queue" you'll have a tray of tiles you can choose from. You must clear the board using only those specified tiles. She's been coming up with some great ones... for example, one stage is called "Too Many Twos". The board consists of all Two's forming a giant number "2", and all the tiles from your tray are twos.

Anyway, please fire away if you have any comments, gripes, suggestions, etc.

Mike

11. Cunning Plan

Original Member

I really like the site and logos - what packages did you use to create them?

12. maksum

Indie Author

Thanks! Used Adobe Illustrator to create the logo with the bug, and the "Add 'em Up" logo. I used Photoshop to lay the site out, and export the images. Then hand-coded the HTML. I happen to use Homesite, since I like the color-coding and such, but I just type it all out. I just don't like wysiwyg-type web site builders. I like to know what's happening :)

Mike

13. super_e

Original Member

Mike: Great site! :)

14. Greg Squire

Original Member

I have to chime in as well and say that the site looks great! I love your new tag line as well (Smart • Fun • for Everyone), it's pretty catchy. I also glad you did something more than the standard "coming soon" or "under construction" site where those two words ARE the entire content. ;)

15. Dan MacDonald

Overall I think the game has a great look and feel, just like the site. Once you figure the game out it's got some nice puzzle gameplay.

My biggest problem was that I couldn't figure the game out just by jumping in and playing it. I jumped in, put a few pieces on the board and nothing happened. I tried to figure it out but couldn't, so i had to go back out and go through the instructions. My concern is that a casual gamer may do the same thing I did having played many of these types of games. There's also a good chance if they can't figure it out right off the bat they may not bother to try the instructions and instead just move on to another game.

I think the idiom is true, "People enjoy learning, they just don't enjoy being taught". If you can find some way to teach the aggressive players how to play right off the bat, I think it would help. Perhaps with some cue that visually indicates that the surrounding 8 squares are being totaled and compared to the middle one... I’ll leave the details up to you :)

16. maksum

Indie Author

Definitley a good point and certainly a concern I've had. I've thought of having a "help" mode that you can toggle on and off, and by default it would be on. I've comped this stuff up and everything but haven't decided whether or not to implement it yet. Basically I've thought of a few of the things you mentioned. I have one design where little plusses (+) would appear between all the surrounding numbers.

Anyway, you make a great point, and I know you're not alone, since I do the same thing (dive right into a game without reading) and many of my testers did the same thing.

Thanks much for your thoughtful comments.

Mike

17. Sunshine

Original Member

Great site.

The only suggestion I might make is to make the white background in the text part the same blue color that is inside of the Blue bug logo letters. Looks a bit plain with all that white. [I might be wrong that blue BG may look like crp ;) ]

I liked the Add em Up , that is a very fun game. It actually made me think, but not too much, just the right amount ;)

18. maksum

Indie Author

Mr. Dan MacDonald, thanks to you my evening was shot! ;)

Ok, I have a little box surrounding the squares now. Let me know if you think that kind of accomplishes what we're after here - to help these aggressive types catch on a bit sooner.

Thanks!

Anyone else who can take a look and has an opinion is welcome.

I think it probably helps, but man... it sure is hard to "see the forest for the trees" when you spend so many months inside a game sorting through it's guts.

Mike

19. botman

Original Member

By the way, your newsletter e-mail arrives like so in Gmail:

---

<DIV CLASS="hdr">Thanks for your interest in our Newsletter! You're just about finished.</DIV><BR>
    <DIV STYLE="font-weight: normal; color: #333996;">
    Step One... check.<BR><BR>You've given us your email at <NOBR><B>Blue Bug Games</B></NOBR>, now we just need to confirm your subscription. Simply visit the URL below.</DIV>

---

20. MirekCz

Original Member

Wow, GREAT site. I guess this is one of the best sites I have seen.

Very nice, friendly, Logo with bug looks great (I wouldn't remove the bug.. maybe you can try for logo something like "Blue(bugimage)Bug Games").
    I guess you don't need to change anything untill you get like 3-4 games done (so you would go out of space to put info on main page)

And the Addemup game is awesome. I have played games like that before, but your game is really polished and looks great which adds a lot to great gameplay.
    Score of 5850, anyone?:)
    I have had no problems with rules (just took a short look at help page, rules became immediatelly obvious for me)

PS.You could also advertise this game as a game to help kids learn math, it really lets you learn how to add fast and some planning is needed, too.