Silverlight - name your favorite product

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by tolik, Jun 2, 2010.

1. tolik

Original Member

Hey,

I'm trying to figure out what Silverlight "associates with". Any specific games, sites or services on your mind?

Thanks.

2. lightassassin

lightassassin New Member

I don't know if it's my favourite but all Silverlight means to me is the MS plugin that is trying to compete with the various other web plugins.

3. JeBuS

JeBuS New Member

Streaming video from the Olympics was excellent through Silverlight. I saw the presentation at MIX10 about it and it really looks like the way live broadcasts should be done on the net.

4. tolik

Original Member

Video? Plugins? How about an app or a game developed in Silverlight?

5. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yours is a serious question or you're just trolling to demonstrate that Silverlight is practically unused to make any slightly famous app/game? ;)

6. tolik

Original Member

This is serious.

7. barrygamer

Original Member

A while ago i had it installed, when ITV (uk tv station) were using it for their catch-up video, but they dropped it. Thats not to say some killer service/game wont come along and I'll install it again, but for now I dont associate it with anything at all.
    Edit: doesnt seem to have gained much traction in web gaming lately?

8. Jack Norton

Indie Author

The FACT (then you can say Silverlight is crap, but this is a fact) is that soon (next few years) every pc with windows will have it preinstalled. On W7 you have 3.0 (I think) pre-installed.

Probably situation is different on Mac/Linux.

9. Bad Sector

Original Member

My iMac had Flash 10 and Silverlight preinstalled.

10. JGOware

Indie Author

I've seen a few silverlight games and performance wise they all ran sub par compared to flash on my low end kit.

11. barrygamer

Original Member

hmm, I wasnt aware that could happen, out-of-the-box. (perhaps some new EU directive :rolleyes: ).

12. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Interesting that silverlight was preinstalled on your mac.
    Anything that can compete with Flash should be welcome...
    At least with silverlight you can code in python, and you have a real debugger! :D

13. CousinGilgamesh

CousinGilgamesh New Member

there's a silverlight feature on bing that lets you see previous daily bing pictures. Those things are really cool sometimes!

14. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

It sounds like a beer.

[​IMG]

#14 PoV, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  15. Reanimated

Original Member

From a developer perspective, I much prefer Silverlight to Flash. Mainly because I'm quite familiar with .NET, but it also has a nicer debugger and is free to develop for. But, the uptake rate is nowhere near as high as Flash, so I think any 'killer apps' will pale in comparison to flash 'killer apps' in terms of downloads.

As mentioned by Jack, since Silverlight is preinstalled on W7 machines, I think this will tip the balance. Once users come across a decent app, without having to be asked to download a plugin most non-techies haven't heard of, I think word of mouth of cool apps will spread.

Alas, at this moment in time, I don't know of any killer Silverlight app either. But then again, I haven't looked very hard :)

16. Vino

Vino New Member

To me, Silverlight means "What the fuck is Silverlight?"

I guess I'm a little bit out of touch. I get the impression it's a web thing? I'm not very web-savvy, stuck in C++ world and all.

17. Bad Sector

Original Member

Flash is free to develop for too. Adobe has an AS3 compiler that creates SWF files and there are other compilers for it, such as haXe.

18. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Good one, Mike!

19. Reanimated

Original Member

Ah, I stand corrected!

20. Jack Norton

Indie Author

The real big difference from developer's PoV is in the debugging. Flash is quite a pain for complex projects... while MS tools are always excellent in debugging.