silverlight, is it viable?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by zoombapup, Jan 2, 2008.

1. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Just wondered if anyone had tried using silverlight for some more casual style games yet?

I was wondering how well it'd suit. Given that the actual silverlight package is reasonbly small and will be pushed a lot by MS I am guessing.

Is it possible to actually make an exe with silverlight (you know, how you can with a flash projector?).

Wondered if any of you tech geeks had tried using it in anger yet.

2. esrix

Original Member

I had dinner with some tech geeks who were enthusiastic about Silverlight. They had apparently used it and loved it.

Sadly, when I asked them about using it to make games, they kinda doubted it in that capability. But the future holds a number of possibilities, so we'll see where that goes.

3. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Without a really compelling reason I wouldn't do it - why not use JavaScript or Flash?

4. moose6912

moose6912 New Member

Javascript is a real PITA. I rather go with Flash, at least I do not have to worry much about cross browser compatibility.

5. wazoo

Original Member

I think it's another case of choosing the right tech for the job at hand.

Given that Microsoft continues to make enormous ("good") strides with one foot, while gimping itself with the other, I really was anticipating Silverlight...

But after seeing their Halo3 site which was a showcase for the technology, it left me incredibly disappointed.

http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/halo3.aspx

Given how hard a time Microsoft seems to be having pushing their .NET runtime onto client machines, I can't imagine it'd be any easier for the Silverlight runtime.

Maybe in a couple of years things will be different, but right now I would still say Flash is mostly going to be the way to go for web multimedia-ish apps.

cheers,

6. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Yeah, that halo site is rubbish isnt it.

And some of the "games" I've seen using it have been less than great too.

Guess I'll put that idea on the backburner for now then.

7. Greg Miller

Greg Miller New Member

Firefox 3.0 has OpenGL support accessible from JS now. My nightmare is that MS decides to implement DirectX Graphics in IE8 instead, forcing anybody that wants to do 3D to develop compatibility layers.

8. ChrisP

Indie Author

OpenGL in Javascript??? The mind boggles.

Are you sure about that? I can't find any references to it. Anywhere. Except a couple of references to some supposed OpenGL plugin for Firefox 2.

Microsoft support OpenGL as anything but a second-class citizen? Puh-leeze. That's about as likely as them releasing Windows under the GPL.

(Hopefully that's jinxed me enough for it to actually happen. :D )

9. Pyabo

Original Member

Adoption rate for Silverlight seems to be very poor... for both developers and end users. A little sad, because the tech looks very promising. And coding games in a .NET platform would be a godsend.

10. wazoo

Original Member

Like I said, MS does come out with some spectacular ideas, but then things somehow get lost in translation.

But I'm still one of the (few?) which are really puzzled as to why the .NET runtime wasn't forced/bundled with XP SP2. It was their golden opportunity considering how much they pushed consumers on the fact that SP2 was "essential" and for whatever reason they didn't do it.

Anyways, I'm sure silverlight will make some impact later on, should they put the proper resources behind it...hopefully they won't keep it in research "never never land", which will excite the bleeding edge guys, but won't get traction with the bulk of the consumer base...*shrug*

11. Greg Miller

Greg Miller New Member

Well, it's not a certainty. It's not finished yet, so it might not make it in 3.0.

I'm not familiar with the plugin you mentioned.

There are actually two versions of the API for OpenGL ES 1.5 and OpenGL ES 2.0. Both are currently implemented via an extension for testing purposes. They simply expose Firefox 3.0's Gecko 1.9-based hardware rendering capabilities to JS.

The texImage2DHTML() extension really boggles the mind. Imagine the obnoxious web page animations people will pull off with that one.

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Canvas:3D

A Google search for "firefox canvas3d" should turn up more material, youtube videos of demos in action, etc.

12. JeffWeber

JeffWeber New Member

I'm currently using Silverlight to make a game. I've only prototyped so far, but I found development to be pretty straight forward.

I think many games WILL eventually be made using Silverlight but you have to keep in mind that the version that supports .Net is Silverlight 2.0 which is currently still in early alpha. So it's no wonder there hasn't been a lot of adoption yet.

I chose Silverlight because I'm familiar with the MS dev tools and .Net. It was a natural fit for me.

It might not make sense for everyone but if you have a .Net background, it's definetly viable for game development.

I just started a site dedicated to the games I will be making. You can find it here with a few screenshots of the prototype.

www.farseergames.com

13. Jay_Kyburz

Original Member

I just read today that using Silverlight I can work in Python. Thats enough for me.

14. stanchat

Indie Author

SilverLight is a promising tool however Microsoft needs to decide how it wants to position the tool. Are they trying to compete with Adobe Flash or are they trying to be the defacto standard for RIA tools.

Another problem they run into is getting web designers to switch from Adobe Illustrator to Expressions Design/Blend. This is a hard sell seeing the big jump Adobe has. However tools are starting to emerge that will convert standard Illustrator vector graphics to XAML. http://www.mikeswanson.com/XAMLExport/

Microsoft also needs to decide if SilverLight is going to WPF lite or just a subset of WPF. I have ran into issues with WPF XAML controls not being compatible with SilverLight.

This is all based on my regular day job but in terms og Game Dev i'm holding off to see where this ball is rolling. The diffrences between 1.0 and 1.1/2.0 are enough to scare me into waiting for this to settle down.