Silicon Valley IGDA Meeting

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by dflash, Nov 29, 2005.

1. dflash

Original Member

Anyone going to the meeting tonight? Nov. 29th?

2. robleong

Indie Author

Duh! Had I known it's on today, I would have gone as it's almost right on my doorstep... :(

3. SFGamer

Original Member

Doh,

I should have gone too. How was it? Was the networking pretty good?

There's an IGDA meeting in San Francisco next week (www.igda.org/sf ). I'll see you there.

-SFGamer

4. dflash

Original Member

The focus was not as much on networking as the last meeting, but there was still a good group of people there.

The panel was the main focus. It was on the different approaches of different companies reusing tech and/vs. developing new tech. It became pretty interesting when it focused on next gen development.

5. merovingian

Original Member

I enjoyed the panel, not so much for the advice they gave, but for the insight into their current thought processes. 2006 is shaping up to be a lot like 2001: a pile of money in search of budget development talent.

The real challenge though will be finding the kind of people who can manage 100+ person teams - they don't come cheap, and I got no indication that anyone on the panel had figured that out yet nor did I sense that they understood why finding such a person and paying them what they're really worth is a screaming bargain compared to hiring a lesser soul on the basis of saving money upfront.

That aside, the opportunity to see these guys even partially "unplugged" was more than worth the trip.

6. C.S.Brewer

Original Member

I'm going to the SF one on tuesday, should be cool. Hope to see you guys there. I'll try and wear a kung fu t-shirt (or a big red A) so you know who to avoid :)

7. dflash

Original Member

I couldn't make it to last night's SF meeting. How was it?

8. C.S.Brewer

Original Member

It was pretty cool, lots of people. I missed the beginning of the talk, but they showed some cool movies of things they were working on. (the talk was about ILM and Lucas Arts working closely together and using the same tools as much as possible) Someone in the audience asked if they were going to release their tools for use by indie game developers, they were non commital ;)

drinks afterwards was fun, lots of interesting people as always, more film people that night. This was the last igda meeting I'll get to go to for a while, moving to santa barbara and I don't think there's one there.

-c