ShowMeTheGames is revamped

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by cliffski, Mar 13, 2011.

1. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

I just completely re-did the indie games database / promotion site show me the game:

http://www.showmethegames.com

I think it looks tons better than the crappy old stuff I knocked up originally. Obviosuly feedback is welcome, as are any suggestions for new features, or submissions of suitable, high-quality indie games that sell direct, and have demos.

2. Bad Sector

Original Member

Yes it is much much better :).

The only "strange" aspect is the scroller at the home page. Being used to the scrollers of Steam, Apple, etc i expected to be able to drag the focused rectangle at the bottom to scroll the games. Similarly for the arrow, i expected it to be used for scrolling instead of navigating. You might want to make it this way (and put a left arrow) and make the image be the link to the game.

Beyond that, the site looks very good :)

3. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Ah I just remembered now a thing I wanted to tell you before: the lines in the main menu on top, where you can change the currently highlighted game, are too thin and very difficult to click, if you can enlarge the "hotspot" it would be better (or alternatively automatically start a sort of slideshow of the images).

edit: or yes, use Bad Sector suggestion, many people are used to Steam left/right arrows to scroll the current game indeed.

Apart this looks very nice :)

4. electronicStar

Original Member

It's nice, but the banner/scroller at the top should auto-rotate

5. vjvj

Indie Author

Looks great! No feedback beyond what's already been stated here.

6. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Looks terrific.

7. ChrisP

Indie Author

I like it!

My one crit is that I had some trouble parsing the site content at first, due to the closeness of the game/interview boxes, the uniform colour scheme, and the fact that the screenshot on the featured interview box has a different width to the game screenshots. It's not something I can re-see now that I've figured out the structure, but I definitely had a few moments of confusion there which made a bad impression. I think it was mostly the interview box that did it; it has different lines, complicating what is otherwise a nice simple design.

Maybe try slightly increasing the vertical space between each .gameHolder/.featuredHolder, or making the background of the .title bars a different colour, so there's more visual separation between the entries.

For reference, Steam achieves visual separation on its game lists by subtly alternating the background colour of each item, giving them lots of padding, making the game titles brighter than all the other text, and putting a big ol' blue border around the entire item on mouseover.

8. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Yeah, there needs to be a separator between the games that contrasts better. The page has a dark gray background, and the game description has a black background - they don't contrast enough. The game descriptions kind of run together. Maybe if the game titles had a different colored background, or there was something else between the game blocks instead of the dark gray background...

Other than that, I think the site looks great!

9. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Looks excellent. Is there space for my Great Little War Game when we finish up the PC version?

10. Musenik

Original Member

Are the featured game images 'hot'? I tried to click on one, but nothing happened.

If they are made clickable, consider pausing for another second or two, to allow time to click.