Show Me The Games (post mortem)

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by cliffski, Oct 11, 2010.

1. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

Sooo.... remember this?
    http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=22309
    It was basically about this:
    http://www.positech.co.uk/indiegames/
    which had the domain name showmethegames.com (currently mid-move, so ignore it).

The idea was:

Get 20 indie devs to spend $50 each on advertising. Pool all the money in one CPC ad campaign, and direct the clicks to a site randomly showing screenshots from those 20 developers games.
    The idea was that this was more cost effective that paying for a click, only to have just a single game to promote when you get a visitor.
    I handled all the ad management myself. I left it up to the individual devs to determine if the visitor quantity and quality they got was worth $50.
    Some said it wasn't
    Some said it was.

This was an experiment, and we made some mistakes that I'd fix next time. I do believe it is a workable model, and worth trying again. I suspect about half of the devs will drop out and won't want to do it again, but I thought I'd throw it open to see if there were any takers for getting involved? If we do it again, it will be $100 each, or more. Otherwise its too much hassle admin wise.

Just to pre-empt some flaming:
    • The games are not typical casual game fare. Match 3 or HOG titles aren't really going to fit in here.
    • The games have a certain minimum quality standard. We don't want very basic, amateurish looking games on the list. I know people get offended by developers saying that, but tough, frankly. This is a business model based around grabbing peoples attention with a 500 pixel screenshot.

Any thoughts? comments? ideas? questions? suggestions?

2. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

I think its a great idea and while I wouldn't want to put any of my existing games up there because I don't think they match the demographic very well, my new game (hopefully ready in 2011) would be a much better fit and I would easily throw a hundred bucks at it.

Wow... that was one sentence? :D

3. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Sounds cool, I'd be in if I didn't have a slew of match-3s to my name.

4. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Great Little War Game should fit the bill, but it won't be ready to sell for quite a while. I'll absolutely be up for your third run out, if there is one.

5. zoombapup

Yeah, same as the others really. Product wont be ready anytime soon, but I'd sign up to have a go once it is. I'm working in a pretty similar demographic area to yours so I think it'd work.

6. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Same here really, hopefully something to contribute in the medium future but nothing ready yet.

So, and obviously without revealing more than you want to, what CPC network did you use and how was your CTR and CPA?
    That web page doesn't seem very well keyword optimised for a Google AdWords campaign to me.

If you don't want to go into any details without paying then I fully understand :)

7. Bad Sector

Original Member

That is a good idea :). I would like to see a better designed site though (see all those "indie" bundles made the last few months, they had gorgeous sites). Beyond that, i can't comment since i don't have anything available :p.

8. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Also the awesome Indie bundle site had really cool live stats.

9. Vatina

Vatina New Member

I'd definitely be interested in joining. But like many others, my game isn't quite ready yet.

10. GnadeGames

Original Member

This is a great idea and I would definitely be interested. I'm not sure if the look of The Magic Toy Chest works though.

11. electronicStar

Original Member

This looks like a good idea, IMHO the only thing it is missing is a good title/banner at the top of the page to give it brand personality and make visitors remember.
    I can't help but thinking that if you exploit this idea to its' maximum you'll end up with some sort of portal. THE famed "indie portal".

12. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Out of curiosity... why not put the games onto a page on Positech for a year instead? I bet you drive more traffic than that site gets and it would be a guaranteed long term play as Positech isn't likely to be going anywhere. You could take the money and pocket it or use it to drive more traffic to Positech, either way it seems like a win-win situation.

13. cliffski

There are vague long term plans on these lines...

14. berserker

Indie Author

Interesting stuff, I missed first time, but I would love to try it out.
    As I see list is randomized each time, so everything is even.
    Count me in.

15. ionside

ionside New Member

I'd be interested in trying this (if my game is worthy). It will be released in within a month.
    Do you have any rules against episodic titles?

16. ManuelMarino

Original Member

The campaign is a good idea, but if you don't setup anything perfectly, you risk to lose the money in useless advertisement.